Intel 4790k 1150 CPU

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Intel 4790k 1150 CPU

Post by fraz »

Hi,

Over the last few years I've bought several CPU's to cater for computer needs down the line for things such as Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 etc... to use VST's and fx over LAN. I've not added any more CPU'S for a while now as I've got enough! - But I was looking on Ebuyer which is still selling the socket 1150 CPU. The price is now £370 and when I was looking at this I was sure I paid quite a lot less so I decided to check.

After checking I paid around £270 for the same processor around a year ago or more. Of course exchange rates can fluctuate but I can't see why the same CPU would be so expensive so what is the reason? - Some may cite inflation but with recession etc... we have not had much inflation - Is this just a case of companies jacking up the prices for the hell of it?

ps - I'm just glad I got what I got when I got it :)
dawman

Re: Intel 4790k 1150 CPU

Post by dawman »

I have a few of them too.
i7 4790
i7 4790S
2 x i7 4790K

FWIW They say all non K CPUs are locked.
That is a myth.

The low watt S and the 3.64Ghz version go to 4ghz on air.

They price the 3770 and 4790 high to hope you go to Z170.

Z97 is my favorite chipset for audio.
fraz

Post by fraz »

That's one of the good things about Planet Z - People volunteering "un-obvious" information - I'll check out Z 170 haven't got a clue about it apart from it'll be something "chipset" - 1151 maybe- :) -I'll read up -

I didn't know the S version of CPU's were lower voltage - I've tended to buy the K versions and I don't intend to over clock but just need to know the bases are covered so I've bought more than I need - A mistake maybe in one or two ways.

I've built a desktop now [a while ago]-which was big progress for me as I wasn't so tech minded but now a bit more I am!

Of the MOBO's I've bought MSI Z97-G43 seems very good [not built yet] was around £100

Asus B85 Gamer Pro around £85 - [can't over clock]-cut down version of whatever 1150 platform it is

Asus Z97-AR [I should have got the pro version £10-£15 more would have got VGA & DVI but has display port and HDMI - plus thunderbolt slot for Asus EX II Thunderbolt card - I did experiment with a Hackintosh but it was too much hassle so I ditched it and will get a Mac mini - iMac in future for UAD card -

I've still got all Scope PCI cards Scope Pro / Pulsar 2 with sync card and of course the Xite-1 - Then there was the Power Power Sampler card that was going to be included with the other PCI cards till I decided it was too much hassle inside the case so left it out but managed to get a Scope DSP board [14-15 DSP] like scope Pro but without the audio connections for bolster the Power Sampler.

I was determined to keep everything - Also managed to get 2 x Luna II boxes [at an OK price] for Power Sampler & expansion card to keep the "old is good vibe going" -

Sorry for all that info - Where is Scope 6? - [don't want to mention it really] :wink:
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I'm running the slightly little brother, an i5-4690K, with a Z97 mobo. I don't run with virtual threads/cores, so the for all purposes my 4690 is equivalent to the 4790. I also use the onchip graphics (HD4600) and with some system tweaks, see no hit to my audio performance (I run dram at 2400 instead of 1600).

I do this, because I hang the XITE-1 directly off the CPU on its own PCIe bus, so the XITE has very fast access to CPU (64 channels at lowest latency no problem), and it also has super fast access to system memory (it doesn't even go through the Z97 to get to either CPU or memory). This means my audio system is tightly coupled with the host, and all runs very smoothly.
fraz

Post by fraz »

jksuperstar wrote:I'm running the slightly little brother, an i5-4690K, with a Z97 mobo. I don't run with virtual threads/cores, so the for all purposes my 4690 is equivalent to the 4790. I also use the onchip graphics (HD4600) and with some system tweaks, see no hit to my audio performance (I run dram at 2400 instead of 1600).

I do this, because I hang the XITE-1 directly off the CPU on its own PCIe bus, so the XITE has very fast access to CPU (64 channels at lowest latency no problem), and it also has super fast access to system memory (it doesn't even go through the Z97 to get to either CPU or memory). This means my audio system is tightly coupled with the host, and all runs very smoothly.

Is your setup any different to any body else's setup regarding the CPU and MOBO - Please explain a little about virtual threads / cores - thanks
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Hyper threading is virtual cores. The 4790 has 4 physical cores, but to run a little more code through the processor, if any resources are not used by the physical core, hyperthreading allows another thread to use those (such as a floating point unit, etc). SonicCore suggests disabling hyperthreading for audio use, since it reduces code determinism...if a hyperthread happens to be using those resources, the thread on the physical cores now has to wait.

My mobo is an Asus MaximusVII Impact. It is a z97 mobo that has a slot for an external GPU, but since I use the 4690 GPU, that slot is free for the XITE.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:I'm running the slightly little brother, an i5-4690K, with a Z97 mobo. I don't run with virtual threads/cores, so the for all purposes my 4690 is equivalent to the 4790. I also use the onchip graphics (HD4600) and with some system tweaks, see no hit to my audio performance (I run dram at 2400 instead of 1600).
So you overclocked the dRAM ?
Is that speed increase going to the graphics processing or to the dedicated PCIeX16 lanes giving the XITE 1´s PCIe card some boost ?

I understood for example the Intel Broadwell i7 5775C, when you disable Intel graphics, the dRAM will be used for the other (p.ex. audio-) processing which means a very large cache upgrade,- when it´s really true.
I dunno if it´s really true because benefit from that dRAM also depends on the code to be processed and it could be some 3D rendering really benefits but audio/MIDI probably doesn´t or is nowhere near enough.
jksuperstar wrote: I do this, because I hang the XITE-1 directly off the CPU on its own PCIe bus, so the XITE has very fast access to CPU (64 channels at lowest latency no problem), and it also has super fast access to system memory (it doesn't even go through the Z97 to get to either CPU or memory). This means my audio system is tightly coupled with the host, and all runs very smoothly.
I wonder, when you use internal (GPU) Intel graphics w/ the i5-4690K, how the other non-graphic related processing tasks assigned the dRAM exclusively.
Please explain.

I´m just asking because I actually collect all info in regards for a new and most portable machine for XITE-1.

I also think about using miniITX mobo in some "beautycase" format case, using a Corsair 80+ gold 450W SFX PSU, Samsung 950Pro M.2 for OS, Samsung 850Pro 2.5" 1 TB SATA600 SSD (MLC chips) for samples and a 2.5" WD10 JPLX Black SATA600/ 32MB/ 7.200U HDD as audio-drive.

Actually I´m unsure about processor and case model.

But actually I also see it is easier to find socket 1151/ Z170 miniITX mobos than socket 1150/ Z97 in germany and from the dealer I myself and my PC builder/assembler prefer.
https://www.alternate.de/html/product/l ... tingResult

In fact there are NONE !

So I think about this ... https://www.alternate.de/GIGABYTE/GA-Z1 ... 2?lk=17954 ... then switch off bluetooth, WLan and such.

But which Intel Skylake then,- when they ditched dRAM usable as level 4 cache and didn´t increase the smart cache (L3) even I want using internal GPU and have to use the one and only PCIeX16 slot for XITE-1 ?

:)

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

The devices that included onboard DRAM (from what I know) where designed for Apple products, and I only saw very limited access of these chips, as they were already integrated on mobos, such as NUC style boxes (at least when I purchased my components over a year ago).

I purchased 2400 speed DRAM, and I can readily clock the 4790K up to that level without issue...I didn't think it was overclocking when I put together the system. But I do think the 4790K was supposed to default to 1600 speeds, so that might be true. I ran at 2400 to ensure the video use of DRAM gives no issue to the rest of the system, and I see no stalls. DPC Latency (with wireless turned OFF), shows microsecond delays at most. I didn't do anything else to ensure graphics use of memory doesn't stomp on system or xite use of the memory.
dawman

Post by dawman »

So using the PCIe card in a PCI 3 slot works for others.
Good.
I tried it and have since put a GFX Card there.
I like Z97s because it's the last boards that bypass the chipset.
Z170s use the PCH.

Gary B just finished up another build giving me 2 spare Z97s.
I like them so much I loaded up with spares to avoid the Intel/Micro$oft cycle of obsolescence they have in store for us.

My favorite CPU is the i7 5775C.
It's a Xeon in disguise.
The L4 cache is 128MB.
Disabling the Iris Pro GFX Means the massive cache is for audio now.
65 watts and 3.34ghz is as fast as the i7 4790k.

Kind of rare but a gem of a CPU....
fraz

Post by fraz »

dawman wrote:So using the PCIe card in a PCI 3 slot works for others.
Good.
I tried it and have since put a GFX Card there.
I like Z97s because it's the last boards that bypass the chipset.
Z170s use the PCH.

Gary B just finished up another build giving me 2 spare Z97s.
I like them so much I loaded up with spares to avoid the Intel/Micro$oft cycle of obsolescence they have in store for us.

My favorite CPU is the i7 5775C.
It's a Xeon in disguise.
The L4 cache is 128MB.
Disabling the Iris Pro GFX Means the massive cache is for audio now.
65 watts and 3.34ghz is as fast as the i7 4790k.

Kind of rare but a gem of a CPU....
5775C is 1150 [I've just checked it out] - 4790K has to be one of the best ever - And on Z97 for Scope etc.....

My other favs are 3770k, 3930k, 5820k, - :wink:

You mention Z97 is your favourite chipset for audio - Are you exclusively on Xite and or Scope PCI cards? - Or do you use other audio interfaces as well?

I can see why you like Z97 for Scope because it works with Creamware and Sonic Core PCI cards and PCI-e cards for Xite and it is the most reliable from everything I've read here.

But what if you were using UAD or something else as well - Maybe X99 would be good for other audio interfaces or just as good as Z97 - Unless there is a difference in the makeup of Z97 vs X99 at a programming level or hardware manufacture level that you know about and I don't for example!

X99 with support for 128 GB RAM would be great for VEP over LAN where Z97 only offers 32 GB :wink: -Not that 32 GB isn't a good amount of RAM.
FernandoHood

Post by FernandoHood »

pci cards never worked properly on my i7 4790k, and talked w other people with exact same issues, wen the pci overflows start they just dont stop, rarely can work with 2 cards aswell. also cant get more than 1asio channel to work, it has been 1 year since i have these issues & nothing seems to resolve it.

Oh actually there are 2 more issues:
-sometimes (rarely) i can have a bluescreen of death wen i open my DAW and scope (seems to be related to scope midi channel)
-blackscreen wen I turn ON my pc, sometimes I have to turn it ON and OFF 3 times just to get into windows

ilove this cpu but if you are using pci cards i recommend to stay far away from it, dont recommend
changing back to i7 920,
Ocean Swift Synthesis - Scope 3rd Party Plugins
http://www.oceanswift.net
FernandoHood
http://www.fernandohood.com
Atom Sessions - Music
https://atomsessions.bandcamp.com/
dante

Post by dante »

Running 3 x PCI cards on i7-4790 fine here (ASUS Z87) + the XITE-1D all on same system, and run multiple ASIO channels. Have you tried without the overclock ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

FernandoHood, i think that the motherboard and/or processor may have been defective...
FernandoHood

Post by FernandoHood »

i7-4790 is different from i7-4790k, 2 dif processors. Yaron is also using the i7-4790 w no issues. If iam overclocking it? well it already comes overclocked, i work with it at 4.00ghz it can go abit more I guess.

Gary, nothing seems defective, everything works properly i work with it daily, either Rendering, Graphic Design, Gaming all works well, no errors no bad behavior.
mb: msi Z97-GAMING-3
ram: 32gb
gfx: r9 390x

its no big deal, these pci cards beeing from 1999(?) I can understand they dont work well in all systems
they all worked flawlessly in my i7 920 wich iam reviving at the moment :) its just the 4790k that gaveme issues, just wanted to report t see if more people came across these issues,
for scope use i def recommend the i7-4790 and not the i7-4790k :) my 2 cents
Ocean Swift Synthesis - Scope 3rd Party Plugins
http://www.oceanswift.net
FernandoHood
http://www.fernandohood.com
Atom Sessions - Music
https://atomsessions.bandcamp.com/
garyb

Post by garyb »

actually, a defective motherboard may act correctly for all other functions.

Scope cards use the PC in ways that manufacturers never expect. since it's realtime, the amount of data that must be moved NOW is pretty high. the motherboard can be within spec for the total amount of data that can be moved and yet not be moving the data in a timely fashion. that creates PCI overload messages.

anyway, you may be correct that there's something about that processor, but i've never heard of the problem from anyone else. of course, the fact that i have not heard of the problem elsewhere doesn't mean that others haven't run into issues...
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:actually, a defective motherboard may act correctly for all other functions.

Scope cards use the PC in ways that manufacturers never expect. since it's realtime, the amount of data that must be moved NOW is pretty high. the motherboard can be within spec for the total amount of data that can be moved and yet not be moving the data in a timely fashion. that creates PCI overload messages.

anyway, you may be correct that there's something about that processor, but i've never heard of the problem from anyone else. of course, the fact that i have not heard of the problem elsewhere doesn't mean that others haven't run into issues...
DAWMAN and somone else mentioned 4790 / 4790 K is OK on PCI cards then Fernandohood mentions he's got problems - Makes me a little nervous but Garyb mentioned Intel socket 1150 is the most stable / best for PCI cards and Xite

I'd plan to use 32 bit with 4790K for full Scope function with no overclock - It better had work as well or better than socket 775
dawman

Post by dawman »

My recent 1U

Supermicro CSE-512f-600
i7 4790k
32GBs DDR3 1600 CL9
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe M.2
Samsung 850 Pro x 2 @ 1TB
Dynatron water AIO
ASRock Z97m WS

This DAWg will hunt.
IMG_0904.JPG
IMG_0904.JPG (955.22 KiB) Viewed 6544 times
dante

Post by dante »

Total U$D outlay ? (Discounted and RRP) ?
Marco

Post by Marco »

OMG this is a heavy pc machinery! This is like Christmas, Eastern and Birthday at one time! :D :D :D beautiful!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dawman

Post by dawman »

1075 total...
Bought the same in 2016 for 1800...