Tuner

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Tuner

Post by JoPo »

I'm looking for a tuner module. A module able to output the frequency note at its input... Do we already have that ?

Thanks..!
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Re: Tuner

Post by garyb »

well, it's not a modular module, but the control room module has a test tone generator.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Some discussion here:
http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... er#p302482

Looks like John (fra77x or fra77x2) was looking into making one, but I don't remember seeing it released anywhere. Maybe PM him about it?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

No need a test tone.. I'm looking for a device that convert audio monophonic note into its frenquency value and that work into Scope, or better : modular.

Thank you JK.. Yes, I remember that topic. But no device, it seems. For the moment, I'm using Mtuner from Meldaproduction : it works in real time and provide midi notes from its audio track. But I'd like a continuous value, not only fixed notes... Even if with a control smooth, I'm very closed to a good result.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you mean something that outputs midi?
this works pretty well:
http://www.jamorigin.com/products/midi-guitar/
borg

Post by borg »

mmm, it's not outputting midi, but there's this patch by alfonso named 'zing', which takes monophonic audio in to control it's internal synth.
it was on the adern forum, but I guess that's gone. I'm not at home for another two weeks, so can't send it should you want it.
didn't wolf have this in his modular midi pack?
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

In modular 4 modules list

http://sonic-core.net/joomla.soniccore/ ... 27&lang=us

Pitch
PLL Tuner
FLL Tuner
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

that's why i love z.

a real synthesist to the rescue!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks, Fra.. I already tried those modules without any good result.

I guess it's feasible with SDK, which I don't have but will buy, one day, for sure... I really don't know how to build one with modular. So, the only way I found is to put Mtuner on the track with the sound I want to get its tune, send the Mtuner midi notes to modular, catch the 'freq' output of the mvc into a smoother, then I have a good frequency value of the sound notes.

A real tuner would be much better...

Wolf made an 'audio2note' device, which I've got, but I get much better results with Mtuner. I think Melodyne can do the same with polyphonic source !! Such as guitar chords ! I must study that.... :D
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

Have you tried lowpass filtering the source you feed the module
and perhaps the output of the device
so to get rid of upper partials and smooth the result?

It is a phase-locked loop.
astroman

Post by astroman »

JoPo wrote:... I think Melodyne can do the same with polyphonic source !! Such as guitar chords ! I must study that...
Celemony (Melodyne) and Zynaptiq (Pitchmap) apply a spectral analysis process on the data to detect harmonics
simultaneously they check what's happening in the time domain and by some smart processing build up a context to isolate instruments/voices
that's why they can handle polyphonic stuff
harmonic analysis is also an important part of some guitar-to-midi processors - if not all 'modern' implementations
with just the fundamental tone you're pretty much lost (imho), too ambigous... and way too slow
(the lower the tone, the longer cycles take... you need at least 2)

cheers, Tom
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I'm not sure I'll make a new melodyne... :lol:

I'll just use it to see what I can get from it....

Modular IV is great but a detailed manual would be nice.. Even if there is one already, done by I don't remember who, but I think it's not SC. That is the problem for people like me, who try to learn : details about all modules : I've got a lot of modules I'm not sure about what they do... I'm always going to Roy's site or BC wiki to find infos. I love manuals.
fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Excellent ! Thanks you, Fra ! It's a bit complicated but I've found some french description of the thing... Now, I must study that... (I love it !) :)

If I understand correctly, it compares the frequency at its input with an internal signal to find the frequency value... That's exactly what I need.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I wanted to say that I'm really stupid to not have checked Silentway much before : I'm becoming a fan !

The silentway vst module called 'follower' outputs pitch value it has at its input ! So, building a tuner with modular and this silentway vst becomes really easy ! And it opens wide possibilities !
I already made some test and the result is perfect ! On mono sounds only... You can sing in a mic and play modular oscillator pitch ! In a continuous way : it doesn't jump from a note to the next like Mtuner : the pitch is continuous, like portamento ! :o

Greatissime ! :wink:

Viva VST and Scope marriage ! They feel good together and have a lot of children.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Have you already tried the Flexor Modules described on the following page?
http://www.cwmodular.org/cv.html

(That is, if you own Flexor...:))

I didn't use any of them, yet, but it might be what you're looking for?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes, of course ! But the result was not like I hoped or need... I tried all what modular offers to build a tuner, I believe... Anyway, that signal that outputs the silentway module is absolutely perfect ! I really don't care where the signal comes from : vst or Scope if the signal is perfect. :wink: