XITE/Scope 5.1 copy protection error

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

XITE/Scope 5.1 copy protection error

Post by krizrox »

I'm going to bring this up here since this is really related to Xite. I got another copy protection violation message yesterday in the middle of a session (isn't that how it always works?)

This is after a complete reinstall of Win 7 (and then upgraded to 10), Scope and everything. Spent a couple days tweaking everything and testing. Things seemed to be working fine. I was comfortable enough to use it for business. And then the message. Which causes the entire system to hang up requiring a reboot. Luckily nothing was lost in the process.

This problem started about a week after I had reflashed my BIOS with the latest firmware update. I'm not sure that had anything to do with this but it was the only major change to my system which had been working fine for a long time. I suppose an option would be to revert back to a previous firmware update.

Gary had suggested some power option tweaks which were already in place. There's nothing of merit that I can find in the BIOS options that might account for this either. If there are any power/sleep options they've all been disabled.

Has anyone experienced this before? It's very random. The last occurrence was a week or so ago. I don't have any 3rd party (or optional) Scope devices currently installed. This is just the bare bones Scope package 5.1 installation. I do have various VST plugs and those were all activated through my iLok so nothing suspicious there either.

There was a similar thread in the Troubleshooting section and someone had commented on the allkeys file. My allkeys file comes from the second Xite/Scope disc that came with Xite. The one I've always had since day one. Can't imagine why futzing with that would have any bearing unless it had gotten corrupted over time but not enough time has passed since the install lol
petal

Re: XITE/Scope 5.1 copy protection error

Post by petal »

I've experienced this error many times, and it seems to be related to the XITE loosing connection to the computer.

Therefore these steps should be tried:
1. Reseat the PCI-card
2. Reseat the HDMI-cable
3. Try a new HDMI-cable of better quality

I hope it helps - Those errors are annoying as ....!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

krizrox wrote:I'm going to bring this up here since this is really related to Xite. I got another copy protection violation message yesterday in the middle of a session (isn't that how it always works?)
No, it´s not and unfortunately I don´t have a solution ... sorry.
I´ve never seen such behaviour of SCOPE/XITE since I bought it, ... but still use WinXP.

But, updating BIOS rendered BIOS chips on 2 of my former ASUS mobos useless.
BIOS updates are risky always, at least when it displays a checksum but you have no clue what the correct number is and click "YES" to confirm the update.

OTOH, SCOPE/XITE might display all kind of error messages, their text not being related to the real issue,- and just only because of connectivity issues like HDMI cable and/or PCIe card not sitting well in slots.

Now I hope, when installing Win7 next future and after my move is finished, I don´t have to wade thru all that time consuming s##t myself.

Sometimes I think, WinXP SP3 is the most ideal OS to run XITE and SCOPE 5.1.
It´s easier and much less time consuming running a 2nd older computer than tinkering w/ all these OS upgrades and new installations just only to have everything on only one box and 64Bit.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I was wondering about the cable and PCIe card as well. I tried reseating the HDMI cable (it's the one that came bundled with Xite) so I'll wait and see on that. If that doesn't cure the problem then I'll look at reseating the PCIe card and maybe as a last resort, going back in time with the firmware. As a very last resort a new mobo

Thanks guys!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

krizrox wrote:I was wondering about the cable and PCIe card as well. I tried reseating the HDMI cable (it's the one that came bundled with Xite) so I'll wait and see on that.
I´d buy a 2nd quality HDMI cable as a spare and try it when such issues start.
My HDMI cable for XITE-1 works, but as I said in a former post, I HAD a similar issue (not the same/ no copy protection error) because of bad connection of the cable or the card.
It´s hard to tell though.
Sometimes the slot-bracket of the card is slightly bent and when it´s been fixed w/ the screw, only the very end of the card doesn´t sit well in it´s (PCI) PCIe slot.
krizrox wrote: I'll look at reseating the PCIe card
This !
krizrox wrote: going back in time with the firmware. As a very last resort a new mobo
I doubt it´s the firmware/mobo.
I was talking about the BIOS chip which is flash-memory and might become corrupted by a BIOS update,- but it´s rare !
But when it is corrupted and you go back in firmware, it keeps corrupted.
Too many variables.
Also a XITE-1 PCIe card can become faulty p.ex..
When you have a new and working HDMI cable, reseated the card and issues continue, you might order a new PCIe card from S|C as an exchange and try.

Today´s BIOS chips are socketed in most cases.
As a last resort, you can buy one new, flashed w/ the latest firmware,- and exchange.
No need for a new mobo.
Your BIOS is corrupted only when there are more issues like losing BIOS settings incl. time/date once the computer is switched off for 2 or 3 days.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
garyb

Post by garyb »

a copy protection violation means either a bad hdmi cable, a bad PCIe card, or a bad connection for either.
garyb

Post by garyb »

one other possible cause would be an intermittent power supply.
if the connection between the PC and the XITE is lost for any reason, this error will pop up. once the connection is lost, the computer usually needs to be rebooted to reestablish the connection because the XITE is not hot-swappable.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I just saw the problem again. I have another known good HDMI cable I will try that first. If that doesn't seem to solve the problem I'll open the PC and try reseating the card. If that still doesn't work I'll see about acquiring a new PCIe card. For what it's worth the PC hasn't been moved out of the studio. It's semi-permanently installed in an equipment rack next to my mixing desk. So it's not like it got bounced around during a gig lol

btw really appreciate the help guys!
garyb

Post by garyb »

the connectors on the PCIe card can be sensitive.

if you reseat the PCIe card, you should use some contact cleaner on the gold contacts.

is the PCIe card in a x1 slot? if it's in a bigger slot, there can be some sloppiness that might make that problem. otherwise, it is ok for the card to be in a bigger slot.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

the card is in a normal PCIe slot. I opened up the PC and reseated the card. cleaned the contacts too. will run it for a while and see what happens.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)

all the slots are normal....

krizrox

Post by krizrox »

lol specifically the PCIe 2.0 x1 slot
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

krizrox; long ago I had a prob with my xite-PC connection and new PC. Original Xite cable and mostly permanent installation of Xite.
Swapped out the factory cable and no probs ever since. HDMI cables are typically heavy esp the longer ones and the connection into the Xite has always seemed a possible weakness of this mighty machine, susceptible to accidental bumps tugs and twists of the cables. Perhaps in future versions a solid latch-type connection for durability such as professional cameramen use on their cameras.

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=33418

Dan
dawman

Post by dawman »

Totally agree about the HDMI Quality.
I bought a bunch of 2 way Aurum Cables and haven't had a problem since.
The PCI-e 1X Connector is fine.
I have used it Horizontally with riser ribbons and it still worked 24/7.
IMG.jpg
IMG.jpg (207.77 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
grappa

Post by grappa »

I too can confirm that once Gary B pointed me in the direction of a new cable I no longer see any copy protection errors..

Regards,

Simon
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I'm easily sold on the idea of a new cable. Thanks guys. Since reseating the PCIe card I haven't noticed any problem. We'll see what happens over time but I'll order a new cable just to be on the safe side. thanks again!

btw: after doing some searching I've decided to buy this AudioQuest HDMI cable for $13,499.75. That should work right?

http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamon ... audioquest
garyb

Post by garyb »

nimmen

Post by nimmen »

few bits from things i've tried and encountered.
My laptop->scope physical distance is around 3 meters so I use 5m mini->hdmi cable.
To make story short, had to buy a new express card from sonic core because of bad pin connection of the card to hdmi cable, and it was physically different(really, different sticker, somewhat different dimensions but very minor).
After the problem started to happen very frequently i've tried 3 different hdmi cables, and 3 different laptops, similar problem persisted.
Did give xite to one friend with different laptop, he was running it for weeks, no problems.
In the end noticed that when cable is a "a bit higher in the air" it works better, decided to get new card.
Works fine now, but it took a loooooooot of time and effor to determine this.
Keep your cables and cards/connections tight and firm.
modular
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I encountered the problem again yesterday so I will get a new cable and try that. Re-seating the card wasn't the solution I had hoped for.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

My new HDMI cables came in today (I bought a couple different brands just in case). Everything is working. Time will tell. Keeping my fingers crossed lol