XITE-1 w/ UAD-2 Satelitte

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

XITE-1 w/ UAD-2 Satelitte

Post by dawman »

Is it possible to run the XITE-1 as is on the PCI-e 1X and bring UAD-2 plug ins into STM AUX channels...?
I do not want to build another PC but wish to use UAD-2 via FW800 if possible.
Latency is no big deal really since it's just FX not synths.

Their stuff is really starting to impress me.

If not the A32 Ferrofish and 4 x TC Fireworx would be fine.
garyb

Re: XITE-1 w/ UAD-2 Satelitte

Post by garyb »

you won't be able to get the fx into the Scope environment through Windows, unless you have a sequencer in between. you can certainly use the hardware i/o to route to the Scope environment.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Firewire....?
Not sure how ?

If you a get a chance I'd appreciate your help.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Using ASIO to output into the DAW then ASIO to from DAW to Scope...

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

right, or via the external hardware i/o.
actually, most apps will not allow two ASIO drivers at the same time, so external hardware i/o it is...

there's no way to connect the card to Scope via firewire. that would end up being two drivers trying to talk to each other. that would never work.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

But I thought they all run as VST? I had two Quads at one point. I think the FW is the same way. It's not really a sound card.

-Tom
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

It still talks ASIO to the host computer. And most DAWs only allow one ASIO device connected.

ADAT is the best bet, and use a word clock. It'd be lower latency than going in & out of the PC, too.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah but they don't have ADAT.
Thunderbolt Apollos do but then dont support PC.

I'll just use a pair of Fireworx via ADAT into the XITE-1 as I did before delegating 1 for the PA.
I would love to see the XITE-1 with ADAT expansion to 4 x ports.

Everytime I think of trying to modernize the XITE-1 I end up using old tech that still sounds better.

Nothing out there still compares to an XITE-1 with 2 x TC Fireworx via ADAT controlled in realtime via MIDI.
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

dawman wrote:Their stuff is really starting to impress me.
Luke, looking you are at the nice, crispy Massive Passive and Space Echos ? Looks like hardware, smells nice, but trapped in the VST Deathstar wrapper we must be. Seduced you are by the Universal Audio Dark side, but come back you will, when Lord Steinberg looses hos grip on the sector!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Indeed R2D2...

I just asked myself if the audience would be more critical of my Studer emulation from UAD or SpaceFs FAT-II S...?

They're such a picky lot with tape emulations and console bus compression.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

You cannot buy roland plugins from UA anymore. They disappeared from the online store... I sold my cards with the Space Echo and Dimension D. You still transfer plugins (all or none) but you cannot buy those...

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

Did you get bored with the space echo then ?
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yep... :lol:

-Tom
dante

Post by dante »

Now imagine this : they release a 1:1 emu of the Manley Slam ! Whoa! But then you realise you can ONLY run it as a VST :lol: :lol: :-? - oh yeah - and the cost of the plug would be like $300 at least unless you bought the generous bundle with massive passive at like $580 :o
fraz

Post by fraz »

dawman wrote:Firewire....?
Not sure how ?

If you a get a chance I'd appreciate your help.
Hi Dawman - The Satellite UAD is an expansion DSP for the UAD interfaces like Apollo Twin / Apollo 8 - The units get cascaded together - I don't know if there is a software release yet for the cascading of units but it is coming if it is not released yet.

You could add for example an Apollo Twin Duo which is a thunderbolt 2 interface [mini-display port connector] and add the Satellite UAD 2 which again is thunderbolt.

Naturally you'd need a motherboard with thunderbolt 2 header on such as AsRock Pro 4 [2 PCI slots] - The AsRock Extreme 6 you already have which has thunderbolt but is only 10 GB/S for some reason instead of 20 GB/S - But may work

Asus Sabertooth Z97 mk 2 has thunderbolt 2 and PCI-e if it for Xite-1

AsRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer has 2 x PCI 2 x PCI-e x1 and thunderbolt 2 as well

UAD on thunderbolt needs Windows 10 64 bit to work properly which means Scope won't be at it's optimum so no STS or what ever but it is possible it could work if everything checks out!!!

If when I get my home studio sorted i'll have a UAD Apollo Twin but it will be separate from Scope - All the compatibility issues with the platforms for example x64 Scope not at it's best is just too many balls to juggle - :) - But it could work.

If you had an Apollo 8 Firewire [Silver Face] you could use this if the motherboard had 1394 so thunderbolt 2 is best because Satellite UAD is thunderbolt -

Z97 1150 would be the only real option and an Asus thunderbolt 2 EX or EXII card is necessary as well.

It could be done - But check software updates on UAD to check cascaded - Have you got the motherboard and Thunderbolt II card though?

But what about the audio driver - Only one can be used unless you've got a snazzy app that lets you use two

You'll have your work cut out if you want UAD and Scope on the same computer - Be limited to thunderbolt 2 and on 1150 Z97 - But if you separate them it opens up thunderbolt 3 - and other platforms X99 or what ever - Then MIDI them / word clock or what ever - Keep Scope 32 bit - Use all Scope plugs without condition - :)

Anyway enough ranting on - It could work - If you use a special DJ driver [what ever] -
dawman

Post by dawman »

RoyTs recent BBD Delay has negated the need for the UAD Delays/Verbs.
It's ducking capabilities was the icing on the cake for me.

Everytime I try to leave Scope environment, they just drag me back in.
Al Pacino MGM/United Godfather III 1976
fraz

Post by fraz »

dawman wrote:RoyTs recent BBD Delay has negated the need for the UAD Delays/Verbs.
It's ducking capabilities was the icing on the cake for me.

Everytime I try to leave Scope environment, they just drag me back in.
Al Pacino MGM/United Godfather III 1976
:lol: ----- UAD is good - I've not used it much yet but I would have it on another computer - Scope is better overall but having both is well - how can you put it? - :P -

I've reached a point where I won't get much else EVER - Unless there is a good reason / need rather than a want - Even if Scope isn't updated ever again [which I hope it is] I'll keep it

Good you found a solution - From your post you were wanting to get signals into the AUX channels of Scope mixer right? - My gear isn't connected but I can ask - This can be done via ADAT in right with analog in right?

If anything else was used such as L/R in or SPDIF / AES it would be stereo only right unless the analog in could be split into two mono channels? - Just asking - Is this what you were on about taking FX out of UAD into Scope? - Would this work?
garyb

Post by garyb »

certainly a stereo i/o can be two mono i/os...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Using console 2 WINDOWS x64 you would send XITE-1 Aux 1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8 to ADAT Dest into UAD.
UAD ADAT Out back to XITE-1 ADAT Source Module.
Sure would be fun to try out.

I still use lots of Scope Based FX for quality and control reasons.
UAD has great sounding FX but nobody ever answers my inquiries about MIDI Control.
This tells me no as silence speaks for itself.
RME flat out tells you that's a lot of work they're considering.

To me both platforms are impractical for live performance.
I wasted lots of time by listening to dozens of ecstatic users.

They just never heard of Scope or were aware what it does.
It wasn't until the following decade that DAWs allowed external hardware to connect.

To Scope or not to Scope, that is the question.
Whether it is nobler to suffer the slings and arrows of weaker platforms,
Or just break down and buy Scope.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Ah Dawman, If I catch your drift - You are talking about sending "signals" out of Scope into UAD - "wet the signals" - Send them back to Scope -

Using either tosklink [adat] or analog [or combination of both] - Yes I get the idea - "AUX" confuses me a little or a lot!!!

UAD Apollo Twin Duo has 1 x ADAT input [good for 8 channels of in only]
Apollo 8 has [ADAT I/O -]
Apollo 8 also has analog I/O

You are thinking for live purposes - And I am thinking for home studio - Permanent set up - But can be done

Toslink patchbay and analog audio router - With some level of connection [bi-directional] I/O - And this is done ! - Period!!! - This is possible if you have the I/O for Scope PCI / Xite

Or Just a direct connection from analog out A16 into UAD analog in then out UAD analog out back into A16 analog in then into Scope via ADAT source input.

A direct connection could be set up from tosklink to toslink [direct adat] to an Apollo 8 and back into Scope but would hog the ADAT and is simpler - But it's connected -

Some MIDI sync / word clock etc....