Re: PlanetZ forums are moving --> scopeusers.com

Post by sunmachine »

Old device files seem still be served by planetz like the one from this post:
http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... 205&f=16&0

http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/files/dev ... itches.zip
valis

Post by valis »

sunmachine wrote:Old device files seem still be served by planetz like the one from this post:

Yep this and the 3.1.14 update both need to be addressed, the problem is that those posts were converted to 'plaintext' from a plugin that was using html, so the links will be an issue for a month or so. Realistically what is needed there is someone capable of forming proper sql queries to clean up the html and convert it to bbcode & fix the links...
valis

Post by valis »

John Cooper wrote:
dante wrote:@valis, thanks for the new home ! Now I have a number of links to the old forum in ScopeRise site - I haven't tested this yet but I'm assuming those will now be dead links?

So I would just have to find em and fix em ?
I added a 301 redirect from forums.planetz.com/ to forums.scopeusers.com/, so old links should automagically get redirected to the new location.
It can't hurt to start updating old links as you see them, but I'll leave this redirect in place so that any old links should continue to work.

-John
Thanks again for the work John.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

valis wrote: Yep this and the 3.1.14 update both need to be addressed, the problem is that those posts were converted to 'plaintext' from a plugin that was using html, so the links will be an issue for a month or so. Realistically what is needed there is someone capable of forming proper sql queries to clean up the html and convert it to bbcode & fix the links...
I'll see if I can come up with a script to convert those posts.
So you could export them to text files that I'd batch convert with a command line tool (or maybe vim).

What's the 3.1.14 update?
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

sunmachine wrote:
valis wrote: Yep this and the 3.1.14 update both need to be addressed, the problem is that those posts were converted to 'plaintext' from a plugin that was using html, so the links will be an issue for a month or so. Realistically what is needed there is someone capable of forming proper sql queries to clean up the html and convert it to bbcode & fix the links...
So you could export them to text files that I'd batch convert with a command line tool (or maybe vim).

Do you mean sed or awk? I think vi has sed built in, but I never seem to use it. vi is my favourite text editor BTW.

-Tom
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Is the database running MySQL? Just run mysqldump and get the text copy of the data and search/replace, no?

-Tom
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

valis wrote:
sunmachine wrote:Old device files seem still be served by planetz like the one from this post:

Yep this and the 3.1.14 update both need to be addressed, the problem is that those posts were converted to 'plaintext' from a plugin that was using html, so the links will be an issue for a month or so. Realistically what is needed there is someone capable of forming proper sql queries to clean up the html and convert it to bbcode & fix the links...
Wow, that takes me way back! Yes- I had built a custom framework on top of the phpbb forum code for managing user-submitted file content, and generating html code embedded into the post topic. It became impractical to maintain through all the phpbb software updates, so when they introduced the simple topic file attachment system, I switched over to that. At some point they stopped allowing embedded html in topic posts, and those got converted to ugly plain text.
tlaskows wrote:Is the database running MySQL? Just run mysqldump and get the text copy of the data and search/replace, no?
Yes, that's a reasonable suggestion. I have transferred those old files to the new server. We could temporarily add a redirect from http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/files/... to http://www.scopeusers.com/PulsarFiles/... But changing the embedded link text is a good idea. And if someone wants to parse that old html and rewrite it as bbcode, that would make those posts look nicer too. I never did that, because I assumed these were mostly historical/archival, and no one was really using them anymore.

-John
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. Both of those link take me to this forum. If you get me a zipped copy of the URLs/files, and put in on an FTP server, I can have a try. I can even give you FTP login to my server...

Cheers,

-Tom
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

tlaskows wrote:I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. Both of those link take me to this forum.
Those aren't real links- just examples of what a redirect would do.
-John
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes, I know what a 301 is. Used it at least once...

-Tom
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

tlaskows wrote:
sunmachine wrote:

Do you mean sed or awk? I think vi has sed built in, but I never seem to use it. vi is my favourite text editor BTW.

-Tom
Yes, I was thinking of sed/awk at first to make use of regular expressions.
However, after looking at some other (more complex) examples I'd probably prefer Smalltalk to actually parse the HTML structure and convert it into BBCode.
(Have a look at this one: http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15291)

Only converting the affected posts wouldn't need another downtime I guess.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Ahh, I see the issue now, thanks. No, I won't be much use. I hardly know any HTML. I'm sure there's someone on here that will be able to help, tons of smart people.

-Tom
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

I can’t deny that the phrase “the end of an era” makes me feel sad and gives me this weird feeling in my stomach… I don’t really want for it to finish… If I had the power, I would make the trick of getting the hour hand 15 years back, like Doc and Marty did.

We have had so much passion together and so much fun, now and then we did some music together too and it was so cool, really cool! :(

I remember lots and lots of names that today are no longer among us like Paul Martin, Spirit and so many others, just to name a few of them. A lot has happened too between us through this main Z contact: the creation of new music groups, scope projects, new plugins, new developers groups, some other music forums, some sample libraries (I did one myself if you can remember “The Bass that Wan the War”), quite a few albums collaborations, internet collaborations, DAW building and configuration, synth courses, audio training, album mastering, a few jobs in TV and theatre, and literally thousands of systems problems solved and misunderstandings cleared, in most cases, by the help of Gary, this kind of angel with long beard we all know :D and of course, lots and lots of friends in the fields of technology and music, friends that will keep in touch with each other for the rest of their lives. How much we have learned! Wow! :o I feel so grateful!

Man…, we are getting older. Definitely, one of the things I will remember for the rest of my life is going to be this forum. I know it is still here, but it is not the same, Z has died and we are in a different plane, a different name, and probably in the future, a different feel… This is not necessarily bad, not at all, but I feel somehow blue, some melancholia for all of this… :cry:

John, you selling our cards, wow…, this is the ultimate wakeup call to say this is the end of an era, indeed.

Dear John, for you my deepest respect for the job you did for all of us, it was great. We can recognize now, clearly, that your psychological approach to lead the forum was a key point that kept us together without getting into much trouble, which is not always easy. You moderated all problems with much intelligence and tolerance, being nice with both sides of the problem always; this tells a lot of good things about you and your nature. All the best in your endeavors, projects and personal life, thank you for your sincere friendship :) Thank you very much! If we read the bottom line of all you have done along the years, that is to say, working for others without any apparent reason, without earnings, without even getting to know those you are helping, we discover that this attitude has a name, it is called love. Thank you for the love you have given us John! :wink:
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks Nestor for your kindness and assistance over all these years!!
-John
valis

Post by valis »

Great post Nestor!
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Sorry brother Valis, I forgot to thank you too, for giving us continuation :D Long life to Planet Z! (even with a different name)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

This is the most genuine forum I've ever used and I've been on few... Great people on here. I think I signed up in 2005 (that's what it says), but took a break from Scope for some 10 years.

Nestor got emotional ;(

-Tom
valis

Post by valis »

Nestor wrote:Sorry brother Valis, I forgot to thank you too, for giving us continuation :D Long life to Planet Z! (even with a different name)
No worries there man, your sentiments were properly placed with JC's passing of the torch. I am just one of the many who grew here, and know that JC's interests have changed over the years to other things (as have many). So am here to help us all keep this place going into the future :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks to all of you guys.
Where is the server located...?
USA UK AU or EU..?
dawman

Post by dawman »

See ya round Coop.
What a great era it was...