PlanetZ forums are moving --> scopeusers.com

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ripper

Re: PlanetZ forums are moving --> scopeusers.com

Post by Ripper »

John, thanks for having created what I consider to be the perfect example of what a forum should be: ready to help, kind, rought when needed to be, and full of resources.
I wish you all the best. Lets rise our glasses with an Oporto wine from Portugal. :wink:

Ps: Oh, and thaks for McGyverGaryB too. Hehehe
dante

Post by dante »

Yes thanks John. Without PlanetZ I doubt there would have been ScopeRise, and now PlanetZ has given Rise to ScopeUsers !
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I'd just like to add my thanks too. I've been a member now for many years, some more as a lurker and then getting more involved in development and it really is one of the few places on the internet that feels like a genuine community. I even managed to meet up face to face with a fellow member last year and hope this continues.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

It would be great to meet some members and have a cup of Joe or green tea! I am planning on driving to Florida this January, just waiting for my passport. I don't supposed there's anyone here from Florida? Honestly, I've never even been to the states :D

-Tom
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

You have enriched our lives with this place. Thank you John.
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks again, for all the kind words.

And welcome to the new forums.scopeusers.com!
The move to the new server is complete, and hopefully everything is working ok. Let us know if anything looks amiss.

-John
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

John Cooper wrote:Thanks again, for all the kind words.

And welcome to the new forums.scopeusers.com!
The move to the new server is complete, and hopefully everything is working ok. Let us know if anything looks amiss.

-John
That was a fast move !
It works, I´m logged in and it´s still "PlanetZ" ...

8)

best

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Great work! Everything seems to be working.

I was withdrawing all day. I think this place is worse than drugs :lol:

-Tom
valis

Post by valis »

Hi guys, I should have checked in sooner!

First, let me add my humble thanks to JC for starting these forums. Thanks to PlanetZ I not only grew from a single card that I came by without fully understanding what it was all the way up to meeting John Bowen, Assaf (and contributing to Flexor's graphics) and so many other great friends. So we all owe John a very humble thank you, myself included.

That being said, I'm the Matt Broadstreet that will continue to host these forums. My server is *always* a priority but if I'm on the road gigging and the like I might take a short while to respond to emails or IM's. However downtime notices will always get to me if I've got cel service, and I can't recall the last time we had downtime for anyone without it being a known (usually planned) upgrade or etc.

In any case, if you guys need anything or have any suggestions just let GaryB or myself know, or start a thread and throw me a PM to point us to it. One thing I'll add before getting back to work is that scopeusers.com (the 'main' page for this domain) has a CMS installed but it's currently just pointing you to the forums. If anyone has any interest in contributing to this site beyond the forums, we just need a good solid idea of what to do there. I've already tried wiki software and wasn't thrilled with how it ran on my server, I'm tuned for LAMP stack which really means a database driven cms (not a fan of wordpress). SO with that out there, welcome everyone to the new home, which can be the same as the old home aside from the domain name, at least for now =]
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

Thanks Matt for offering to host the forums on your servers, and assisting with the transition.
I'm confident scopeusers.com will continue to prosper with you and GaryB at the helm!

Cheers,
John
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

What are you trying to do? I've been using WordPress for a long time. I don't actually like the newest one for some reason. I've had it on the cloud for some 7 years, not 1 problem. And I did have to move it around a few times...

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

looks great, thanks!
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Oh, I just noticed. It asks me to login every time. It's like it's not saving chocolate chip cookies or something?

-Tom
valis

Post by valis »

It might be saving the cookie under the old domain name, will look into that. We're also resolving minor issues with John's domain, but that shouldn't affect what you're experiencing.

As for what I'm trying to do? Just keep our forums safe. A better question would be what we're trying to do? Ie, what do planetz users want? I have some thoughts on things that would be useful to mitigate questions that are repeated endlessly here (once they fall off the main page of a subforum) but beyond that it's really up to you guys to express yourselves & take initiative =]
valis

Post by valis »

Logins should stick now =]
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes! Confirmed. Stays logged in. This will save me 1 seconds to click login :lol:

Well, I don't do any web development, not my area. But I know how to setup servers and stuff like that. I am not scared of the shell. Been using Ubuntu lately, but I've tried them all over 20 years...

-Tom
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Thanks John.
valis

Post by valis »

tlaskows wrote:Yes! Confirmed. Stays logged in. This will save me 1 seconds to click login :lol:

Well, I don't do any web development, not my area. But I know how to setup servers and stuff like that. I am not scared of the shell. Been using Ubuntu lately, but I've tried them all over 20 years...

-Tom
I'm not so much asking for web development, just suggesting that there's room to do a bit more. However I'm in no great hurry so if nothing presents itself anytime soon that means there's plenty of other things to work on =]
dante

Post by dante »

@valis, thanks for the new home ! Now I have a number of links to the old forum in ScopeRise site - I haven't tested this yet but I'm assuming those will now be dead links?

So I would just have to find em and fix em ?
John Cooper

Post by John Cooper »

dante wrote:@valis, thanks for the new home ! Now I have a number of links to the old forum in ScopeRise site - I haven't tested this yet but I'm assuming those will now be dead links?

So I would just have to find em and fix em ?
I added a 301 redirect from forums.planetz.com/ to forums.scopeusers.com/, so old links should automagically get redirected to the new location.
It can't hurt to start updating old links as you see them, but I'll leave this redirect in place so that any old links should continue to work.

-John