Yes, this will make me upgrade from my current PCI system to an XITE1
26%
No, I don't need that much IO's
12%

Total votes: 57

wouterz

Re: Would you buy a MADI expansion for the XITE1

Post by wouterz »

Just kicking this thread, maybe some users that don't visit Planet Z that much overlooked it ;)

I was triggered by this post:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31490
dante

Post by dante »

I just re-read your original post and the problem of I/O being the root concern.

If MADI doesnt eventuate for XITE, does this mean you will never get an XITE ? Have you discounted the possibility of keeping the PCI and retaining the I/O ?

Here are some options (there may be more) in the absence of MADI:

1) Do what I do, run the PCI and XITE on the same system joined by ADAT. You will still have all your PCI I/O, but will just have to sub-mix them before sending them to XITE over ADAT.

2) Run two host systems (one for PCI the other for XITE) using ADAT, System Link etc. Again a submix scenario.

3) Lobby for the possibility of Open Scope being able to integrate PCI and XITE. Possibly unlikely but not discounted yet. Julian of ParseQ said it would be worth considering, long before the New World Of Music site was spammed shut.

Options 1) and 2) involve treating PCI I/O's like sub-mixers.

But option 3) above (where you may have to sacrifice say SP/DIF for sync purposes), would see all of the original PCI and XITE I/O's available in the one Scope project as one big mix.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

dante wrote:I just re-read your original post and the problem of I/O being the root concern.

If MADI doesnt eventuate for XITE, does this mean you will never get an XITE ? Have you discounted the possibility of keeping the PCI and retaining the I/O ?

Here are some options (there may be more) in the absence of MADI:

1) Do what I do, run the PCI and XITE on the same system joined by ADAT. You will still have all your PCI I/O, but will just have to sub-mix them before sending them to XITE over ADAT.

2) Run two host systems (one for PCI the other for XITE) using ADAT, System Link etc. Again a submix scenario.

3) Lobby for the possibility of Open Scope being able to integrate PCI and XITE. Possibly unlikely but not discounted yet. Julian of ParseQ said it would be worth considering, long before the New World Of Music site was spammed shut.

Options 1) and 2) involve treating PCI I/O's like sub-mixers.

But option 3) above (where you may have to sacrifice say SP/DIF for sync purposes), would see all of the original PCI and XITE I/O's available in the one Scope project as one big mix.
The idea was to keep my current PCI system (old PC with no PCI Express slots + Scope Pro + Scope Home + ADAT expansion + Sync Plate) and buy a new second PC (6 core monster) with an XITE1 and link both systems using ADAT. My current system would then become a Scope synth expander, and I need this system to run other software like my Akai AkSys software and my Roland VariOS control software and maybe my Nord Modular editors if they don't run on Windows 7 or 8.

At the moment I have all my synths and sampler going into my Scope system (32 channels) and from there it goes through my ASIO host (Cubase with direct ASIO monitoring on) and back into the STM2448 mixer. Then I also have all my FX gear connected (another 16 channels) and I can put these devices everywhere I want: before/after the ASIO inputs, before the mixer inputs, after the mixer bus outputs, etc, etc. The power of this system is that this is all possible with several clicks of a button without the need to make submixes over ADAT, repatch ASIO channels, copying recorded audio files from one DAW to another, etc., etc. I have thought of several scenarios but with all of them I feel that I loose this flexibility.

And on top of that I want even more IO's in the future. I think we got more votes since my last post but I forgot to write down the numbers. It's now:

Yes 69% [ 18 ]
Yes, this will make me upgrade from my current PCI system to an XITE1 23% [ 6 ]
No, I don't need that much IO's 8% [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

dante wrote:If MADI doesnt eventuate for XITE, does this mean you will never get an XITE ?
Since there are no new converters available that have a Z-Link connection there must be something going to happen I hope. New users can "only" use 16 ADAT channels (or 8 channels @ 96kHz) or buy an A16 Ultra on Ebay.

I also would gladly buy an XITE-1 and an XITE-1D and get 72 IO's but they don't work as one system at the moment. I also don't mind if it turns out to be a Z-Link expansion (with the launch of a new Z-Link converter) instead of MADI. As long a I get my channel count ;)
hubird

Post by hubird »

wouterz wrote: I also don't mind if it turns out to be a Z-Link expansion (with the launch of a new Z-Link converter) instead of MADI. As long a I get my channel count ;)
Same here.
I definitely want more than 16 channels, to serve my Virus and two Elektron machines, not to speak of oldies like theBoss SE70.
Z-Link won't happen I'm afraid, so my two Luna 2496 converters probably need to be exchanged, which makes the Xite indirectly more expensive.

No Xite1 for me without extra channels...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

hubird wrote:
I definitely want more than 16 channels, to serve my Virus and two Elektron machines, not to speak of oldies like theBoss SE70.

No Xite1 for me without extra channels...
For the time being, use a (line) mixer as a front end for XITE analog ins and or AD/DA converter I/O channels,- works great.
I connected the 8 busses of my console to the AD/DA (8-channels via 1 ADAT I/O) to SCOPE/XITE-1 and have XITE-1 analog I/Os free for more stuff.
Would work also w/ a Mackie 1604 direct outs (12) and it´s 4 subgroups to a 16 channel converter AD ins, the Mackies main outs to XITE-1 analog in and it´s analog outs to the amp/speakers.
Leaves 16 DA outs from converter for all kind of splits and sends to whereever and is a cool solution for keyboards/modules anyway.
Only a workaround for the wait for a up to now vaporware MADI (black-) box.

Did I mention you´d get BLACK MADI for free when buying a black XITE-1 11/22 ... :lol:

Bud
hubird

Post by hubird »

hehe, yeah that would be a workaround.
Well I actually have a Mackie 12/2, but it's getting old already (some pots are producing sound on their own :-D ).
But I think I wait for new developments on the Xite1 before investing that much money and still having to think in workarounds.
That's what I thought when the Xite1 came out, and my 3 cards with 18 old DSP still work perfectly in my Quicksilver mac machine with OS9 chained to my OSX mac with RME card.
Except DSP power I don't need more, so for the time being I can live with it.
First investment will be an Intel mac, which I get as payment for mixing music of some friends who can record but not mix or even master.
It would mean also another RME card for PCI-e, didn't do research for it yet.
What card do I need to buy for that? anyone? Hard to say of course, as Madi isn't involved yet on Xite.

edit: must be HDSPe RayDAT if it's about Adat.
So if S/C want me to buy the Xite it must be clear first in what direction S/C expands the outputs: Adat or Madi.
cheers.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

We had some more votes since the last count:

Yes 69% [ 20 ]
Yes, this will make me upgrade from my current PCI system to an XITE1 : 21% [ 6 ]
No, I don't need that much IO's 10% [ 3 ]
Total votes : 29
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

wouterz wrote:Anymore voters?
Yes we would buy it if they build one new Xite with 75 dsp,
also having 8 ADAT instead of only two plus MADI connectors,
so we could keep our PCI 45dsp and our Xite 18 dsp.
We dont think its the best solution though.
The RME converter from ADAT to MADI , ADI-648 that we have ,
is having so many other functions , so we as a band ,
want one 8 ADAT 75 dsp Xite much more.
Ps: We already have 64 channels ADAT from PCI 45dsp+ 3dsp with Vdat,
going direct to ADI-648 , or to and from Xite.
We only need 1 ADAT into Xite in order to do mastering,
or the final Stereo out live .
Bear
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Again some more votes:

Yes 67% [ 24 ]
Yes, this will make me upgrade from my current PCI system to an XITE1 : 25% [ 9 ]
No, I don't need that much IO's 8% [ 3 ]
Total votes : 36
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Kick

Again some more votes:

Yes 68% [ 26 ]
Yes, this will make me upgrade from my current PCI system to an XITE1 24% [ 9 ] x
No, I don't need that much IO's 8% [ 3 ]

Total votes : 38

I'm very close to buying an XITE1 :)
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Another kick

Again some more votes:

Yes 68% [ 28 ]
Yes, this will make me upgrade from my current PCI system to an XITE1 24% [ 10 ]
No, I don't need that much IO's 7% [ 3 ]

Total votes : 41

I have an XITE-1 now, I would very much like to connect it to the new Ferrofish A32 using MADI :)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I don't how it could be possible to add madi to an Xite as it is build now. But there is certainly much better technician here to say if it is possible.

As Dante said, you can easily run PCI card & an Xite-1 on the same computer in order to have plenty i/o.
Now you've got an Xite, keep your PCI card and have a try, if you didn't already.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

JoPo wrote:I don't how it could be possible to add madi to an Xite as it is build now. But there is certainly much better technician here to say if it is possible.

As Dante said, you can easily run PCI card & an Xite-1 on the same computer in order to have plenty i/o.
Now you've got an Xite, keep your PCI card and have a try, if you didn't already.
That's what I'm doing, running two DAWs (Scope PCI and XITE-1) and connect them by ADAT. In the future I would want more inputs and outputs so I can buy more stuff (synths and effects) :)
enantiodromia

Post by enantiodromia »

maybe they can use the zlink connection for MADI converter
2x zlink -> 2x MADI boxes

or complete MADI retrofit
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

enantiodromia wrote: maybe they can use the zlink connection for MADI converter

IIRC, Gary mentioned in former post(s), MADI should be possible w/ XITE via XTDM bus which is actually not used and the future connector for accessories.
A user not only needs the MADI hardware device, he also needs MADI I/O objects in the SCOPE environment, so that would be a matter of at least SCOPE 6 (or higher) depending on software development roadmap.

To me, the most ideal future features would be:

Have ADAT on XITE for 2nd machine/PCI card connectivity
Have ZLink for older Creamware/Sonic Core AD/DA connectivity
Have AES/EBU and analog I/Os for whatever thinkable ...
Have MADI to connect the latest Ferrofish A32

In fact max. I/O configuration option.

:wink:

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
enantiodromia

Post by enantiodromia »

Bud Weiser wrote:
enantiodromia wrote: maybe they can use the zlink connection for MADI converter

IIRC, Gary mentioned in former post(s), MADI should be possible w/ XITE via XTDM bus which is actually not used and the future connector for accessories.
A user not only needs the MADI hardware device, he also needs MADI I/O objects in the SCOPE environment, so that would be a matter of at least SCOPE 6 (or higher) depending on software development roadmap.

To me, the most ideal future features would be:

Have ADAT on XITE for 2nd machine/PCI card connectivity
Have ZLink for older Creamware/Sonic Core AD/DA connectivity
Have AES/EBU and analog I/Os for whatever thinkable ...
Have MADI to connect the latest Ferrofish A32

In fact max. I/O configuration option.

:wink:

Bud
+1
would love to see that
dawman

Post by dawman »

Indeed...
AES/EBU can become about any protocol you want now using Monoprice adapter/converters.
I use it for Solaris TosLink and am waiting for another hardware FX unit supposedly that will have TosLink/ADAT/AES-EBU....etc.
marcianus

Post by marcianus »

HUROLURA wrote:Yes Gary.

According to this 2003 announcement, there was 30,000 scope PCI users back in that time. And as this forum is mainly focused on Scope and already have more than 4,500 members, I was expecting there would have been more than just 4 scope pci users who read this forum who would be waiting for such feature to upgrade their system to the Xite-1.

By the way, nothing really significant to achieve accurate statistics market study, but already a small hint to "feel" the market. :wink:
Ejem. Maybe a language problem :D.

I am not english speaker and for me it's a real problem even write simple sentences. Fortunately I can read and understand texts in English.
I want to buy a XITE1 (I am waiting for Soniccore Christmas deals :P ) and maybe a new ADDA (A16 mk2 from Ferrofish, probably). I want to "centralize" all my hardware synths and hardware FX units and abandon analog mixers.

A MADI expansion is welcome (more analog ins and outs through ADDAs, no more patchbays, analog minimixers, etc, etc)
dawman

Post by dawman »

You will not find a better mixer.
Crest XRM and Toft ATB here.

XITE-1 has equivalent Mic pres and opamps.
Get a used TC Fireworx with ADAT.

Incredible sound that doesn't change quality when migrating from IEMs and headphones to Nearfields to powered stage and PA equipment.