Stereo modules

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

Music Manic

Stereo modules

Post by Music Manic »

I've noticed there are a lack of stereo modules in Modular. Are there any around I don't know of? I'm looking especially for effects based like filters.

Thanks
fra77x

Re: Stereo modules

Post by fra77x »

Is their a problem using 2 of the modules you desire?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Most "Modular" modules in analog land are mono, not stereo. You can easily use Sharc's BCM modules, since they typically don't have knobs, but control signal inputs instead. So you can use two modules of what you need, then add a third module that is a control knob (or control surface!) and use that 1 signal to control both L/R modules.

Using Sharc's "CLM" modules, you can create sub-modular projects...create mono version with external control, then just place two of those submodules (or 5 for surround)....
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

jksuperstar wrote:Most "Modular" modules in analog land are mono, not stereo. You can easily use Sharc's BCM modules, since they typically don't have knobs, but control signal inputs instead. So you can use two modules of what you need, then add a third module that is a control knob (or control surface!) and use that 1 signal to control both L/R modules.

Using Sharc's "CLM" modules, you can create sub-modular projects...create mono version with external control, then just place two of those submodules (or 5 for surround)....
Thanks jk Could you help me setup to BC2000 to control using Sharc's modules. I can load two delay devices and assign the same Midi controller number to the pots in each device I need to control, but is there a better way around it?

Thanks
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

If you have a BCR/F2000, you can place the BC modules for that controller. Then connect any knob/slider/button control output (instead of MIDI mapped through SCOPE) to the control inputs of the stereo pair of modules you want...this works best if you use the BCM version of those modules...Sharc's modules tend to have Control inputs instead of knobs on the front panel, so they are easier to control from external signals.

Using this method, Sharc has also provided control signal filter modules, which take that signal out of the Control Module and smooths it out for your particular application (so you can make it more smooth, but has more lag, or less smoothing, but faster response). This is very nice to remove any zippering you would get on a delay or a filter cutoff, for example.

Eventually, you can learn to use the CLM sub-project modules, and then use pipes to connect the control signals to each sub-modular project. It keeps the patch clean, and the CLM modules can even be used to load different patches...meaning you have a CLM placeholder, and you can load in different types of delay effects you've developed.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

"but is there a better way around it"

use the sdk.

Musicmanic. In your first question you mentioned filter effects. For filter effects add 2 filters and instead of using the cutoff knobs, use a control val module and connect it to the flters modulation inputs. For standard delay effect there is the tempo stereo delay.
For other delay based modulation effects like flangers etc, use a stereo insert and load a stereo flanger from the list.

If you have a bcr or like the bc modular follow jk's suggestion.

If you want more control use the sdk.
sharc

Post by sharc »

It's also worth remembering the control sockets in BC Modular handle both input and output, so you can make a connection between them on two (or more) modules for a master <-> slave control relationship.

This way for a stereo pair you usually only need the two modules as you can assign MIDI CCs to the sliders on the BC popup panel.
sharc

Post by sharc »

...I'd recommend placing all modules for your stereo signal path within one (or more if required) 1DSP CLM modules.

These will force those modules to load on the same DSP and avoid any unwanted phase issues :wink:
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

On the other hand, it's a bit a pity to not have stereo CLM module...
It would be convenient is n't it ? :D
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

sharc wrote:...I'd recommend placing all modules for your stereo signal path within one (or more if required) 1DSP CLM modules.

These will force those modules to load on the same DSP and avoid any unwanted phase issues :wink:
Sharc, I'm reading through the BCModular Wiki site but could you give a simpler rundown to how things work? Basically I want to use two mono modular device, e.g. A filter that has low pass and high pass and have the knobs controlled by one incoming midi command, say from the BC2000.

How do your modules connect to outside world hardware?

Sorry I'm new to modular stuff. What do you use async and sync stuff for, and what are the pipelines?

Thanks
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

as the sync inputs are audio inputs you can use them for stereo and how i use the clm shells as stereo effects
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

sync is used for audio

async are used for less intensive control signals that dont require audio rate timing

pipes are async controls that allow 8 async signals down one pipe

any frequency dependent controls need to be sync
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Hi Music Manic,

Did you go through the tutorial series here? http://bcmodular.wikispaces.com/Idiot%2 ... e+-+Part+1

If you follow those steps, you'll be set up for controlling from the BCR2000. It includes a demo patch and sysex files for setting up the BCR2000 with matching MIDI CC values.

If you want to control two settings at once, it's as simple as putting a patch cable between the two settings and then patching one of them into the relevant BCM module.

Feel free to get in touch directly with me or sharc if you need more assistance!

Thanks,
Will

P.S. The public launch of the new ScopeSync is just around the corner, which will make some of this even easier :)
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

This page is worth a read, to understand the various connection types: http://bcmodular.wikispaces.com/Connections
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

jhulk wrote:as the sync inputs are audio inputs you can use them for stereo and how i use the clm shells as stereo effects
Yeah ! Excellent ! I've got my answer !

Thanks, jhulk..
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <