Using silentway with modular through hardware

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

peksi

Using silentway with modular through hardware

Post by peksi »

I am not the expert on the subject and my question may be totally on the wrong track but..

can i connect silentway to modular using harwdware interfaces? so that silentway would output the signal to a hardware output and modular would pick it up from sonic core analog input.
fra77x

Re: Using silentway with modular through hardware

Post by fra77x »

Feeding the analog inputs with dc signals is not very good i suppose. I have burned an input at the past. They must be protected to work with such signals. I don't know for sure.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

You can send 'audio' out of Silent Way straight into Modular over Asio...
http://www.terrabola.org/AudioTest/EGte ... tHome.html

If you're talking about a hybrid synth involving S|C Modular and Hardware modular, where S|C Modular could send Audio over a DC-coupled interface to control Modular, and even get funky with bidirectional communications between hardware modular and S|C Modular, I've be very interested in other people's experiences.
(I don't have a DC-coupled interface to test it myself, and only a small handful of cv/gate-capable modules)
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
peksi

Post by peksi »

my competence is not enough to talk much about the subject until i dig deeper. my intention would be to use silentway + sc modular without asio (and i was thinking if the silentway modules could translate cv:s into audio signal and back).
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Are you not going to run Silentway inside an ASIO host then?
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

I remembered an old thread about this on the forum so had a search and you can find it here

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... t+sleepers

Hope that has the info you require. I haven't tried this yet myself but must do so soon.

Cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

You'll feel and hear a significant difference using SWS 2.2.
I begged for a sustain pedal function that came along with 2.1 which is not a biggie for some guys, but crucial for me when needing to alter the EGs in realtime.
The Portamento, EGs and Filter sweeps using Stepped or Dual LFOs is why I actually use Modular for a powerful realtime synth now.
Plus check the devices for Fra77x'z kick ass EG module. It's instantaneous snap is enhanced to the point of equalling my Analog Hardware synths.

I currently use an 8 Oscillator Modular synth that is so close to hardware analog only guys with the real gear would notice the slightest differences.
What makes Modular so much more versatile than the Analog Hardware synths is the hundreds of modules we have that can be used, and swapping out new Filters/Oscillators in realtime is amazingly satisfying.

SWS with the Waldorf Oscillators using superior smoothing and modulation rates has sounds w/o zippering, and gets real close to the ancient Waldorf Wave hardware synth too.
peksi

Post by peksi »

my setup has gronw a bit complex and i cannot use asio for this.

encoding the data into hardware line input/output would be a way to carry a way signal to modular but still not sure if it works like that or not. i tried looking the other thread you guys showed but it did not open up well to me.

my assumption is that since the plugin sends the data an output from DAW (vst plugin?), it should not matter if the destination output is scope asio or hardware output? it just sends the data there? and in the modular end we receive the data from an audio input and do not differentiate whether it is asio or line-in? am i totally lost here?

but cant wait to try it out after what i've read here :) hope to get it working somehow.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it shouldn't matter, if it's audio.

for cv, i believe you would need a modified ad/da. i seem to rememeber that there were a few people modding them for the modular crowd.
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

You will need a DC coupled audio interface on both the DA and AD sides..
A motu interface, or a rectifier circuit on ac coupled interface, should work.
Or the modules from expert sleepers...

Has anyone ever tried sending pitch CV into modular via a DC coupled interface from a hardware modular?
Guess that there would have to be some kind of calibration module in scope to match pitch?
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was going to try using a custom Oakley Filter routed back into Scope/Modular IV, but in all honesty just using the dozens of Filters we have and running Silentway Suite as a VST FX is simple and effective.

There's really no major advantage to modifying hardware for this.
If you are a perfectionist and can justify the costs of extra hardware, DIY modifications sure, why not. But for 60 bucks you can just run it as a Plug In since Modular modules accept audio.

I run my SE-1X and EML-101 right alongside of my Modular Synth patch made for SWS, and you really need to tilt your head and squint your eyes to notice any differences.
Plus, to get this power and polyphony in hardware would costs thousands.
peksi

Post by peksi »

sounds good. expect more silly questions once i've learned enough to have grounds to buy sws. and my bank account cuts me some slack.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Glad to help someone spend 60 and hear and feel a difference, as opposed to buying a hardware synth, and having to pay for a DIY retrofitting.
Not that I discourage buying hardware, for me it's preferable, but first see if you like the way that Modular reacts to the plug in.
It's very complimentary to my racked up analog hardware synths.

Also check out the Expert Sleepers forum at
www.muffwiggler.com