Audio split

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Audio split

Post by yayajohn »

If I route an audio output to two different destinations does that degrade the signal or cause instability? I can't seem to find any 1in-2out type of audio mixers. Does anyone else have a need for that type of routing or perhaps i'm not really grasping some of the concepts here.

Dan
fra77x

Re: Audio split

Post by fra77x »

?
hubird

Post by hubird »

you can split any Out to two destinations without problems.
Just connect an extra cable :)
This way I connect i.e. every mixer aux out to both inputs of each stereo aux fx.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

You can plug as many cable as you want in an output but only one in an input. And there is no signal degradation as we are in digital world...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

This is one of the brilliantly useful features of Scope I have used since day one (2000). Get using it.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok, thanks glad to know I haven't been doing things incorrectly. I will wrap my head around that one and never wonder about it again. (hopefully) :)

Thanks
hubird

Post by hubird »

Scope therefor doesn't allow more than one cable to an input, for combining signals you need a...mixer :)
Has to do with impedance corrections, but that's all I know.
Would like to understand what's that about actually, so if someone could shine a light on this I would be glad.

A common example of using multi out connections: output de mixer-main out to ASIO Dest. and to analog out for (direct) monitoring (latency free).
What you hear is what you record in your ASIO sequencer.
But you knew that :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

It's the best way to use the Tape Dealy from Modular as it seems using 2 of those for a stereo summing at the outputs in a large patch can be trouble upon recall.

Glad to see another guy delving into Modular.
Great way to get an education in audio.

Cheerz.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Every "pad", "input" or "output" can handle one value. So we can connect an output pad to as many input pads, because there is only one value to get passed. (the value of the output pad gets copied to the destination input pad). But when we want to send multiple outputs, which means multiple values -to a single pad- it can't be done, because there is no space in the input pad for all these values to be. So we "mix" i.e. add, these values so to get one value from multiple values. Mixing means addition.

I hope it's clear.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i know nothing
Last edited by jhulk on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Wow! jhulk's post helped a lot! Now everybody will understand that extra complicated matter that even a 3 years old boy can grasp.
and the reason why you need summ mixers as 2 0db signals can not go into a 0db input with out clipping or distortion hence why you summ to a level that the 2 can become one 0db signal max
That is not the reason. The reason is the one i said it is. Each pad can take only one value. It's totally unrelated to dB, the value itself or whatever one may assume by mistake.
same for modular synths if you see a module with several inputs like a lot do with a pot for attenuating if you look at the schematic they are summed inside the module by a 100ohms resister in a parallel network
You mean analogue modular synths. it's not always a 100ohm resistor. Why are you writing that stuff?

Do you struggle to pretend that you know? Why? Does it makes your sound better? I guess your sound is as good as your knowledge is, which means sh$t.

For me your posts are always the same type of verbalism and confusion. Who reads that stuff? You always try to pretend something... Never care about the readers, about the way you write, confuse the ideas, have that pedantic style (you are not even an sdk user). So please it gets tiring. And you are not helping anyone. You just make it sound more complicated than it is. You find things complicated because you don't know them. They are simple.
So keep the confusion for yourself.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

thanks john as always a degrading comment

i know nothing ill keep all my modules to my self

as obviously you know more about what i have than i do
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

and i did write wrong i meant to say 100k not 100ohms

i build hardware modular modules john and im a synth tech i fix a lot of synths and samples on a circuit level

but i know nothing
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

ok

What do you mean build?

what do you mean "hardware modules"?

What do you mean "on the circuit level"?

You have a lot of "hardware modules" that are broken "on the circuit level"?

Are you kidding us?
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i make hard ware modular modules for real modular synthesizers

i fix synths and samplers

i do upgrades to synth and samplers

and i work on electronic circuits on a circuit level as in finding faults and replacing parts

de-soldering track repair through hole repair in ciruit modifications

slimfloppy scsi cf card upgrades

i make custom cables for people balancing box patch bays

service mixers and outboard gear

build custom eq

design custom front panels
Redd47 and IAN's PCB's.pdf
(417.58 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
but i know nothing
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

So what makes you believe that you know "anything" about areas of different expertise? Do you know dentistry also? You didn't knew the reason that hides behind pad connection. That is basic. If you have designed/programmed any digital modular synth you should know exactly why we are able to connect 1 output pad to as many input pads but we can't do the opposite and we need mixers for that. It's self evident why. Instead your responce was totally unrelated.

Generally i can understand when someones really knows his subject or is just guessing with confidence...
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i base my ideas on hard ware if the pads on the dsp are different then i learned something new thanks

and i base it on the 26 years of servicing

and my modular modules work so i must be doing it write as how i thought they worked

and when i have sent them to sharc he has never told me i connected them wrong

and you slated saying my music must be sh&t

but my samples have been used in hardware samplers and from ensoniq keyboards in rom

and used by members here in the solaris keyboard

so i must be doing something right
hubird

Post by hubird »

Sometimes I can't follow you, fra77x.
Should every explanation here look like a perfect text from a qualified study book?
I did read the words by jhulk as kinda supplementary to yours.

My only problem with jhulks contributions is the lack of interpunction :D
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

I didn't found these complementary but confusing. That's the reason i decided to responce so to make clear that his contribution is not supplementary to mine. Of course i can be wrong.
Anyway i just prefer simplicity and clear answers. Especially for trivial subjects.
I'm not here to judge what is related and what is unrelated. According to my view i replied personally to jhulk to ask him about the reason of his post.
Anyone can judge and decide what is helpful and what is not for him. But also one can decide and personally ask another one how he aquires his data.

You also can't handle yourself.
Has to do with impedance corrections, but that's all I know.
Your post created the first confusion. (for me). Then jhulk added his opinion also. No wonder noone can find a way out of that stuff...
dawman

Post by dawman »

:lol:

I think after reading through all of this, I know why I can have multiple outs from a single connection, but require a mixer for multiple ins.
After 9 years of modules not allowing me to make a connection I'd buy another mouse thinking that was the problem.....

Thanks Guys...