Polymoog Resonator

Patch files for the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

sharc

Polymoog Resonator

Post by sharc »

Here's a patch I was sent a while back by jhulk. It's based on the Resonator section of a Polymoog.

The patch can be downloaded here - http://www.bcmodular.co.uk/forum/downlo ... .php?id=74

As you can see, the patch has been created inside a CLM module and because it's a filter circuit jhulk has locked it to 1DSP so as to keep latencies in check.

While the CLM can be saved as a new module it is unfortunately rather bulky and this circuit weighs in at approximately 1.7MB in comparison to other much leaner BC Modular modules. Also, because the whole circuit has been locked to 1DSP it can only handle 4voices if you were to use it polyphonically.

However, since this patch was built entirely using BC Modular modules it wasn't too difficult for me to recreate as an optimized BC Modular module complete with popup control panel...

This module weighs in at 53KB and can handle 14 voices of polyphony :)

Download the module here - http://www.bcmodular.co.uk/forum/downlo ... .php?id=75
fra77x

Re: Polymoog Resonator

Post by fra77x »

That's one of the reasons to work with the sdk. It's easy to create the exact function you are looking for without any sparing of dsp resources.

Great work!
sharc

Post by sharc »

I agree. The SDK is a lot more capable than the modular overall.

There are obvious benefits to both of course.

There isn't actually much of a difference at all in terms of DSP resources used between a CLM patch and an equivalent SDK built module. The biggest difference is in loading time and host memory and CPU used for graphics.

In this example I could have made the same optimizations to the CLM patch as I did in the SDK. The CLM patch would have ended up even bigger than it is just now, but the only difference in DSP terms would be a handful of cycles used by preset lists in the CLM.

The module is quicker to load and easier to use. The CLM patch is more flexible and users can learn from it.
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Wonderful Shark!
Can't wait to test this.
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

In terms of circuit readability and learning i still prefer the sdk. I find the appearance of circuits at modular a bit confusing because it doesn't lets you design the circuit from left to right. (but you have to follow the signal up down).

The modular is more user/performance attractive and less scientific/engineering in terms of appearance.

For an example here is the schematics of one of my ADSR envelopes in the sdk.
adsr sal dsp schematics.jpg
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

not every body has a 14/15 dsp pci card or xite-1/d or even if they do they dont have the sdk

this allows users to create modules using the clm shell then save them as a custom modules

and reuse them

roland these are ideal for your type little circuits you create as you could create them using the clm then save as mdl

and re use them as part of a modular patch

some of my custom clm modules are built up from several clm shells like my bcmodular bbd i created a single bbd in a clm shell then saved it as a mdl

then i created another clm shell with 3 of these singe bbd to create a tripple phase chorus bbd then saved that as a mdl

its great for that type of thing as you can re use the little circuits over and over again with out having to build them every time

i did the korg ps3200 resonator to which sharc has and i did a novachord resonator which sharc also has

and im building a vc fixed filter bank based on the moog914 fixed filter modular module

but mine has vc of each volume amount which is great for poly-rhythmic sequencing of the resonators
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Yes for users with very small setups that procedure sounds good.