Which polysynth for a demo?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

capacitor

Which polysynth for a demo?

Post by capacitor »

I'm doing a Scope demo for a meetup group next month. I can show one synth at this meeting, since there will be 8-10 other folks, and we have 5 minutes each.

Which polyphonic synth would you demo? Modular patches are totally cool.

(Edit: for an Xite-1)
jksuperstar

Re: Which polysynth for a demo?

Post by jksuperstar »

can't beat Solaris if you have it!

And you can drop modular shells in there for new oscillators, filters, envelopes, and effects!
dante

Post by dante »

What synths have you got ?
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Stock synths, Mod4 w/Flexor3, the Zarg bundle & Prodyssey/ProTone. I just need to request the keys. I'd love to have 6-String.

The coordinator just said to choose something that is easily tweakable, or shows off the quality of the platform. I'm going for both and packing a dedicated knob controller.

I've already shown Xite to one enthusiast with a few racks & shelves of great stuff, as well as a CS80, and he's impressed (edit: very very impressed).

Hoping to drum up some sales for Gary.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I'd go with the Prodyssey myself. The Zarg synths are great and highly flexible and tweakable but they haven't been optimised for the Xite-1. Some of the presets will give you optimization popups at even one voice. The Prodyssey can get 12+ voices easily and has a great powerful sound and if you really only have 5 minutes then you won't have time to really dig into any synth at length.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I like using the prodyssey and the pro-one together, using the pro-one to beef up the fundamental harmonic.

A dualling synth setup with crossfade between them...that'd be a good demo ;)
petal

Post by petal »

I can see that Prodyssey is interesting in it's own right, but to outsiders it is still "just" an emulation of the real thing.
I would go for something that is unique for the Scope platform. Zarg synths comes to mind, but as yayajohn has mentioned they have unfortunately not been optimised for the Xite-1.

What is left is the Modular, which is spectacular and a pure gem for the platform. Just look at all the additional modules that people are developing for it.
Find a good synth patch and explain what is going on and I'm sure people will find even a rellatively simple modular synth much more interesting than the Prodyssey.
MaAybe this patch by Jimmy and "others": http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=32141

Anyways, regardless of what you do choose, please tell us what you ended up showcasing and how it went - good luck :)
neuromantik

Post by neuromantik »

Modular. Is there really any other synth? Don't forget to load it with the cwmod, bcmod, flexor, suraudio, and of course mod4 modules and watch them gaze at the 500+ modules which in hw form would cost well over their entire collections. :)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Zarg Music Quantum Wave is a good choice if you want to name drop in front of an audience as it is an emulation of the Waldorf wave commissioned by Hans Zimmer. :) But unfortunately, like the Solaris, it is not optimised for XITE yet.

Prodyssey is a good choice if you don't have much time to demo it, as preset changes are quick and it's layout is pretty much like the original hardware.

But modular, and in particular Mod IV would really show the power of Scope. Try to find, or build, a patch using third party modules as well, such as CMW, BC Modular, Adern, fra77x, etc, as that would give the patch some uniqueness, as well as looking great when demoing to a crowd. :)

Have fun and let us know how it goes. :)
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Thanks for all of this, it's super helpful. :)

I'm going with Modular IV, with as much third party representation as I can muster. Prodyssey and Minimax will be present as backups & in case people nod off.

I've downloaded Jimmy's Morpheus patch from above, to use as a starting point.

The Xite, along with everyone else's units, will be going through a Bose L1. Afterwards, people will be listening through headphones, so I will pack some good AKG high-impedance cans.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

For the headphones, you can also use Shroomz' excellent Can Control. Keeps the cans from being bin-aural and allows for some bleed between the channels.

http://www.scopeportal.com/tag/headphone/

capacitor

Post by capacitor »

I will definitely do so. I'll tune it for the K240s and save the preset.

Thanks again.

I may throw in a vocoder on the output. Any suggestions for which one?