Masterverb Test Thread

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

unaHm

Re: Masterverb Test Thread

Post by unaHm »

Good news!

I went back into the BIOS and turned off ACPI 2.0. I tried to disable ACPI APIC as well, but Windows wouldn't boot without it.

I re-installed, and set up Scope 4.0 (I had been using 4.5 with 4.0 keys).

Now I've got 14 stereo instances of Masterverb loaded in, which is where I ran out of DSP :lol:

I'm glad I checked! I'm also going to get the P4PE running too, as I found that turning certain things off in the BIOS would prevent it from booting (you know, the typical things you disable when you're in "computer refinement mode", such as serial and parallel ports). I think that's at a later date though, as I've now got a system I can play with! 8 cores will be useful (XP sees them), and I may try and gain access to the remainder of the RAM in the system, but again that's for another time :wink:
hubird

Post by hubird »

congrats, good for you :-)
I remember the 'ACPI layer' problems from the problem forum, thought they were gone, but you're on a 8-core.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, you're using XP, so you can get away with this, maybe...

nice to know that it improved the PCI performance anyway. now to see what happens to the rest of the computer's performance. you may or may not see issues because of this. ACPI 2.0 is a must in win7.
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Thanks Gary, that's good to know. I'll have to test it out when Scope 6 is out, and I can afford an upgrade!
dante

Post by dante »

unaHm wrote: Now I've got 14 stereo instances of Masterverb loaded in, which is where I ran out of DSP :lol: :
14 is a good result on 11 DSP - I get 12 instances on 12 PCI DSP, and 10 on the XITE-1D (without fiddling with Manual Assignments). These figures are the same on Windows XP x32 and Windows 8 x64 (ASUS P5KE Intel 9650 3GHz + 8GB RAM).
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

I'm waiting for my new PC right now so this test is also interesting to see the difference between the new and my old one.
My old computer that I use now is an Scaleo X from 2006. Dont know what type of motherboard it is, but else it is:

Pentium Dual 3.00 GHz
4 GB RAM
Win 7 64 bit
1 Puslar2
1 Pulsar1

I manage to get in 5 masterverb on 2448, with number 6 I got the PCI capacity reach message.

And 11 masterverb connected to the 2448 mixer, with number 12 the DSP load was to much.

I will be back when the new PC arrives.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you got six.

the ones after probably don't work. you won't get more than six or so with a Pulsar1. that's my guess anyway.
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

garyb wrote:you got six.

the ones after probably don't work. you won't get more than six or so with a Pulsar1. that's my guess anyway.
I got one Pulsar1 and one Pulsar2 connected together. 10 DSP total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Pulsar1 PCI resource handling is not even close to Pulsar2 PCI resource handling.

any system with a Pulsar1 will have significantly worse results than a system without a Pulsar1, regardless of the number of dsps.
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

garyb wrote:you got six.

OK, now I understand what you mean, yes I got 6 working masterverbs.
The DSP load was just to show how many I could fit in the DSP´s. Of course no meaning if they don't work.
garyb wrote:Pulsar1 PCI resource handling is not even close to Pulsar2 PCI resource handling.

any system with a Pulsar1 will have significantly worse results than a system without a Pulsar1, regardless of the number of dsps.
So its a different between them. I thought they were equal and just the number of SHARCS that was the difference.
But does Pulsar1 use the PCI resource? I thought maybe Pulsar2 was the mainboard and only took advantage of the DSP´s on Pulsar1 and that Puslar1 only used the PCI for electric power?

But I never experienced any problems with those cards, even with filled up DSP´s on both cards.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, they both use PCI resources.
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

Yesterday I got my new PC:

Motherboard ASUS Z87-K
Processor Intel i7 4770K 3,5 GHz
32 GB RAM
Windows 8 64 bit
1 Pulsar2
1 Pulsar1

On this one I got 5 working Masterverb connected to 2448 mixer.
With number 6 I got PCI capacity reach.
garyb

Post by garyb »

normal for a p1...
pwhitmaker

Post by pwhitmaker »

garyb wrote:normal for a p1...
So what do you think will happen if I remove the p1?
Better PCI capacity but fewer DSP?
Is it some advantages with that?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that's right. better PCI performance, less dsps.

advantage? it depends on how you use things. i'd probably prefer the dsp and i/o. if you are constantly getting PCI overflow messages, then the P1 should go. otherwise, keep it in there, what's the problem? an occasional PCI overflow message that can be dealt with with a single mouseclick and that doesn't keep coming back is no big deal at all.

another consideration is keys. if important keys are registered to the P1, taking it out of the system migfht be a big hassle, or at least expensive...
53E7

Post by 53E7 »

I have a revised report about the Supermicro X8DAI. After disabling Windows Firewall in services, I now get 12 Masterverbs. I formerly reported 9. 12 masterverbs is all I ever achieved with my three 15DSP cards in any computer (G4 running OS9, D865PERL, GA-770TA-UD3 ) so that must be my Scope hardware limit. I didn’t know I should disable Windows Firewall. I wish somebody told me. I have done all the tweaks found in this thread:

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... lit=tweaks

Well I never claimed to know everything and as usual I have made this discovery the hard way, and probably made a bit of an ass of myself here in my previous posts (sorry Gary). I hope this will help others. This is a VERY nice board and I will post more about it once I really get to know it better.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, that's a good list, but most people want to keep networking and other functions. while i do the power options tweaks(in the power options window, not via the registry), and the tweak to adjust of best performance system properties\advanced\performance options\adjust for best performance, i don't bother with the rest. i'd rather have it stable and usable(like being able to use the internet for product authorizations) than bleeding edge, but that's your business. i find that the extra tweaks only make a small difference.

there's no problem with killing the firewall, unless you are connected to the net. actually, if you're behind a router, you probably don't need a firewall, but it's really not a good idea.

i make an ass out of myself all the time(see? i'm doing it already!). i'd like to stop but it's part of being human. i try to minimize it. i'd really be annoying otherwise...

yes, the Supermicro board is really good and support is awesome should you ever need it. you shouldn't need another computer until something drastic happens.
braincell

Post by braincell »

You used to have to tweak it a lot but with a good, modern computer, there is plenty of buffer power I find. The only problems I run into occasionally is when running 32 bit third party plugins in Cubase 64 bit with the VST wrapper, it bombs once in a while. But now (using Windows 8 ) I never get the Blue Screen of Death anymore, just have to reboot Cubase so it's no biggie. That memory dump took a long time on previous computers, one of them took 10 minutes. That was depressing.
asktoby

Post by asktoby »

1)Motherboard, CPU and RAM
Intel® Desktop Board DQ965GF "Guardfish", Intel Q6600 @2.4GHz, 4GB RAM.

2)CWA cards installed and eventual other PCI cards.
Two Pulsar II cards.

3)Graphic Card used
Nvidia GTX580

4)Number of Masterverbs loaded in an empty environment before PCI overflow is reached.
malcolmbarr

Post by malcolmbarr »

1. Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H
CPU: Intel i5 655k @ 3.2ghz
12gb Ram, Win 8 64 bit

2. 2 X Pulsar 2 (6 dsp)
1 X Luna (3 dsp)
Also EMU 1212m PCI express card

3. Integrated graphics on i5 655k CPU.

4. 11 Masterverbs loaded into empty project before PCI overflow error.