Scope 4.5 (no XTC mode), no response from ASIO

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

unaHm

Scope 4.5 (no XTC mode), no response from ASIO

Post by unaHm »

I've given up on XTC mode due to problems, and after re-installing my system completely I'm unable to use ASIO, even in general SFP mode.

I can select the ASIO 'devices' in the software's audio configuration pages, but when I press play, nothing happens.

The programs don't crash (I can close them), but playback is not possible.

I'm using the standard (or default) SFP project without modification.

What happened?
garyb

Re: Scope 4.5 (no XTC mode), no response from ASIO

Post by garyb »

who knows?

you need to follow the signal path.

a computer is a large file cabinet. if the files are in order, it has to work. v4.5 works absolutely.
if you have the proper settings in the host app and in Scope, and your playback system is connected correctly, it MUST work.
remember, Scope must be open with the proper number of ASIO i/o BEFORE the sequencer is opened. if you change projects in Scope, the sequencer must be closed.

have you installed v5 on this system earlier(i don't think you did, just touching all possibilities)? if so, you must install the v4.5 driver manually. windows will continue to try to use the newer driver.
hubird

Post by hubird »

did you connect the ASIO channels (after opening the Asio module) to a mixer, and this mixer to your output lines?
You have to design your SFP studio first.
Sorry if you know this, but as you come from XTC...
Remember to start your sequencer after you start Scope, to make see it the Asio ports :)
edit: Garyb beat me :)
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Sadly I don't have access to v5, so that rules that option out.

I tried just the default XTC mode (after closing SFP), and the sequencer started up and played back without any problems, apart from not hearing anything as I'd not assigned any analogue outputs.

I thought it might have been an issue where SFP might not have closed correctly at some point previously, so I opened it up and tried again. Same problem.

I know that SFP mode works as I've plugged an audio source into one of the card, and it comes through without any problems. With the default SFP configuration, ASIO is just 2 in and 2 out. The software I'm using (Renoise and/or Reaper) allows me to select or identify those inputs and outputs exist, but playback still doesn't work. Is there a timecode or clock parameter I need to be aware of?

At the moment, the default configuration also has ASIO Dest going to the 1632 mixer, which has is master output going to a Wave Dest. Again, I can hear an analogue input.

The only thing different to what I normally do here is setting the latency, which I've configured as slightly higher than what I normally use.

I'll try installing 4.0. If that works, then something might be missing from 4.5.
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not a problem with the version of Scope that you are using. they all work.

the only thing you should be able to set in the sequencer is the use of the ASIOScope driver. you can't set latency or ports(well, you can assign ASIO ports) or anything else that one would set with a windows soundcard. all those settings are in Scope.
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

Sorry Gary, I mis-spoke. I meant the latency settings in the ULLI configuration window.

I'm trying a new BIOS version, and re-installing with ACPI turned on. I know that may seem like the wrong direction, but the BIOS I had for this motherboard was really old, at least in Asus' revision terms!
unaHm

Post by unaHm »

It might have just been a need to re-install Windows, or clear a file that had broken at some point, but so far everything is working. I have 8 synths in a SFP project going into the ASIO Dest plugin, so that I can still use the software to adjust the final levels.

Screen-wise, it can get a bit messy, but it works. I haven't done a Masterverb test since installing so I can't see what ACPI has done to the PCI bandwidth, but for that aspect of the virtual studio I'm taking the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' approach :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's a good approach.

yes, more screens are helpful. :lol: