ASM2 analog modular synth demo

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Brazda lui Novac

ASM2 analog modular synth demo

Post by Brazda lui Novac »

Hi all!

This is a short demo made with my DIY ASM2 synth.

http://vimeo.com/10203360

enjoy!

Victor
dawman

Re: ASM2 analog modular synth demo

Post by dawman »

Nice FAT BASTARD that is....
I enjoyed it thanks, but Live at Cybermental 3 is spectacular and very unique.
Don't go commercial bro, you have the chops that go outside.
Ankyu.
Brazda lui Novac

Thanks Jimmy, you always have some nice words in your pocket :) I won't go commercial, but some money coming from my music could be nice :lol:

Victor
astroman

Post by astroman »

an extremely well sounding device - with a synth bass that truely deserves this name.
Sounds like a classic... not sure which one, but biiig 8)
together with Neutrons interesting project this gives the impression that DIY is a serious perspective
(or have someone DIFY) :D

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

I really would like to see more info on your particular build.
It seems there are several different DIY's and versions.
The reason is I am waiting for 2 Cannucks to finish their experiments using Modular in Scope w/ external hardware modules.
I have been using a Modular Patch that has no Filters to send the Digital Oscillators through different Analog filters and it isn't the same. I will need a DIY that is built for use with Scope and hopefully ditch my SE-1's since I am into 1U's these days and extremely lazy when it comes to packing racks of gear.. :wink:
Brazda lui Novac

Yeah Tom, it sounds big, classic and very Kraftwerk-ish. Probably because the ASM is based on electronotes newsletter schematics http://electronotes.netfirms.com/ where all the big analog synth manufacturers of the time, like Bob Moog and Alan Robert Pearlman were present. It's a very snappy, punchy and aggressive synth. You can do sweeter things but you have to tweak a bit for that, it's not that instant like on other synths.

Jimmy unfortunately I cannot say too much about the building itself, as I assisted just a few times at the process. I can say that components are really important, i changed some capacitors on the oscillators for a better tracking and stable tuning, and the sound of the waveforms changed too... I actually liked the other ones unstable and cheap :) Not because they were unstable, but the waveforms were better on that ones. My friend who built the ASM for me, he built also an AVRX synth for himself, which is a digital wavetable synth with an analog filter, and it's probably what are you looking for. It's sounds awesome, I can tell that. http://www.avrx.se/

Victor
Brazda lui Novac

Ah, I think I misunderstood you Jimmy, sorry.You would like info on my ASM2 comparing it with others. What I can say is that all will sound more or less the same, as I told you before and as you probably know already, the components play a major role there. I saw that some builders like to keep it simple and don't use all the features on the front panel (not me). There are some other ASM2's that I saw on Elby designs website, and I think the best looking is this one http://www.elby-designs.com/asm2-wizard ... rombie.pdf but is waaay too big for my taste. The pics show that is still in construction but it was like this a year ago, so I think it's done now. It's only a matter of taste and design with the panel and looks, otherwise is the same thing. I personally like to keep everything compact. The DIY forum at http://www.electro-music.com/forum/index.php?f=112 has other nice versions of the ASM2.

V.
David

Post by David »

This is a quality project build. It has a lovely sound.
I'm also very much enjoying your tracks
these will get played often this summer
more please
Brazda lui Novac

Thanks Feg!
widy

Post by widy »

i wasnt here for a long time ..... still using my scope every day :)
but this video does actually inspire me to build my own asm-2 ..and i love it
i just added also yusynth vco vca 2 mixer and a midi interface for mono poly and multimode with 4cv and 4gates
lg widy
Attachments
20130216_184611.jpg
20130216_184611.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 2682 times
20130210_211504.jpg
20130210_211504.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 2682 times
s_20130217_195011.jpg
s_20130217_195011.jpg (413.9 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
lg widy
dawman

Post by dawman »