A16Ultra - would Big Ben improve it's sound?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Gatam

Re: A16Ultra - would Big Ben improve it's sound?

Post by Gatam »

nice, Thanks :-)
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Anyone using a setup like this? Will this work?

Code: Select all

W o r d c l o c k    G e n e r a t o r
     |                         |
    \|/                       \|/
A16 Ultra <--- Z-Link ---> Scope (XITE-1 or PCI)
Wordclock Generator = Master
A16 Ultra = Slave
Scope = Slave
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I thought I read that when in Z-Link slave mode, you can't use word clock.

I just went back to the manual, and found this:
"...Since the converter always derives its sync clock from
the Z-Link data stream when in Z-Link mode..."
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Does this mean that the Z-Link ports are unusable when Scope (XITE-1 or PCI) is in wordclock slave mode or does Scope "forward" the wordclock signal over the Z-Link connections to the A16 Ultra?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I would guess it "forwards" the clock on. Otherwise, all of it's digital ports would be unusable. However, I don't know if that's better than just using SCOPE's built-in wordclock. The clock would be received, locked on to, and possibly re-generated.

Personally, I think SCOPE XITE's wordclock is hard to beat, and *like* using it as my master. I don't know if it is very different from SCOPE PCI.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

jksuperstar wrote:I would guess it "forwards" the clock on. Otherwise, all of it's digital ports would be unusable. However, I don't know if that's better than just using SCOPE's built-in wordclock. The clock would be received, locked on to, and possibly re-generated.

Personally, I think SCOPE XITE's wordclock is hard to beat, and *like* using it as my master. I don't know if it is very different from SCOPE PCI.
But with a dual Scope system (XITE-1 and PCI) one of the Scope systems has to become a slave. I'm building a new DAW and want to buy an XITE-1. I have two A16-Ultra's and I want to connect one A16-Ultra to the XITE-1 and the other to my Scope PCI system. And use the ADAT ports to connect both systems together.
garyb

Post by garyb »

z-link is a VERY good, low jitter clock connection. even if you use word clock for the XITE and the ADAT A16, the z-link connection will work great, just as well as the word clock connection on the ADAT A16.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

BTW - My manual quote is from the A16 manual, not XITE. My post wasn't clear. I think you understood anyway.

I agree with Gary, Z-Link is spot-on.

But I see your trouble...one of the systems will need to be slaved to the other, and the A16's will need to follow their systems.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

garyb wrote:z-link is a VERY good, low jitter clock connection. even if you use word clock for the XITE and the ADAT A16, the z-link connection will work great, just as well as the word clock connection on the ADAT A16.
But will it also work if I connect two Scope systems together using ADAT (XITE1, PCI) each with its own A16-Ultra (connected by Z-Link). One Scope system has to be a slave. Will the slave pass thru the wordclock signal over the Z-Link connection to the A16-Ultra?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think you have everything to find out...make 1 A16 master, send wordclcok to scope, then set scope to slave, and slink connected to the second A16.

You can record the first A16 via adat, and the second over zlink, and see over time if there are any clicks/pops.
garyb

Post by garyb »

wouterz wrote:
garyb wrote:z-link is a VERY good, low jitter clock connection. even if you use word clock for the XITE and the ADAT A16, the z-link connection will work great, just as well as the word clock connection on the ADAT A16.
But will it also work if I connect two Scope systems together using ADAT (XITE1, PCI) each with its own A16-Ultra (connected by Z-Link). One Scope system has to be a slave. Will the slave pass thru the wordclock signal over the Z-Link connection to the A16-Ultra?
yes, that should work.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

garyb wrote:
wouterz wrote:
yes, that should work.
I've tried it out successfully using my Scope PCI system with two Z-Link A16 Ultra's connected to it and a Lynx Hilo as the master clock (Scope PCI was set to slave using the sync plate).
:)