SBC - Spectral Balance Controller : WOW! Holy Sh!T!

Tips and advice for getting the most from Scope. No questions here please.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jksuperstar

SBC - Spectral Balance Controller : WOW! Holy Sh!T!

Post by jksuperstar »

Just thought I'd post about this seemingly under-utilized device (at least not talked about). For mixing LIVE situations such as FoH (Front of House), Live PA, or other scenario where you can't go back in time and tell the bassist to turn down their volume, keep that last beer out of the hands of the singer (which induced some excessively loud screeching) or some other uncontrollable disaster that might otherwise destroy your live performance....

Check the Spectral Balance Controller out!

Similar to a basic Graphic EQ, it has 6 bands, but then it adds a limiter to each of those bands. So if you are using a single/multi-band compressor, and one part of the mix overdrives, overloads, or gets to be a little to much...you get a pumping/drop in volume to a large part of the mix, This device puts the overload frequencies in check, and the rest of your mix is completely unaffected.

I imagine this would also be good for recording a stereo mix of a live show, where microphones can be overdriven unexpectedly, maybe even by the audience.

For me, this is going on my master out permanently.
dawman

Re: SBC - Spectral Balance Controller : WOW! Holy Sh!T!

Post by dawman »

Yeah, lots of guys never really speak much of it. I first tried it but it had to much sizzle in the EQ for our mic pres.
But what it excells at IMHO is Analog Synths, Modular and Solaris.
I run the inputs low at -6db, just touch the top 2 bands and boost the output.
THis jpeg uses Solaris as my basis of synth volumes in the synth Buss, since it's digital and once connected digitally you no longer can use the expression or volume knob, but I use the BCF 2000 as a really great Foot Controllers anyways.
But this will give Modular, especially the CZ Oscillators some real sizzle.
My Analog Filter has so much more sizzle with LPF and nominal Filter Freq. levels.
As we all know on digital synths, even when emualting Analog you lose the power and volume when adding heavier resonance, so combined with the 12db Stereo Attenuator in Modular and the SBC-X I can switch presets with no loss of db in the resonance, and the sizzle is just the extra gravy.
Untitled.png
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

That's a nice trick for normalizing the volume between program changes. Good tip!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yepp, and SpaceF adds the Grease, but the Bacon sizzling is from SBC-X.
I am trying to make a Modular Patch with the 3 Different Noise Oscillators, White/Pink, BPF Noise and DigiNoise with low freqs, and the SBC=X for some reason really worls well with my dynamic wind cues.
Instead of using a synth form quiet to load like a Filter Sweep, the guys I work with are loud so right before a nice snare hit which is our cue for mellowing out, I swell over the top of a Buzzy synth with Noise Swell then whack it into silence, usually cuts really nice but with SBC-x in the patch as an insert it should work well, especially with the Limiters.
LCS AUDIO

Post by LCS AUDIO »

Hi Planetz

SBC can be a very useful tool in some specific cases.

My only wish list would be to have variable xover points.

possible?

Cheers
Anything worth doing is worth doing to the fullest. (quote)
bosone

Post by bosone »

also, it can not be controlled via MIDI. i wonder why!
and i remember the first two bands have some bug and change the stereo image.
tjsound

Post by tjsound »

I tried it on a Chinese "shue beta green" microphone - excellent results. :)
Of course, it is very specific, but it helps in impossible situations, such as when to make a demo tape in the studio recording..
XITE-1, Reaperx64...
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

bosone wrote: and i remember the first two bands have some bug and change the stereo image.
I thought that got fixed?
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Sorry, I'm not impressed using with a full range SB404 sequence. Maybe I'll try it in an audio chain but not much incentive as it seems to cut a lot out, boosting just makes things more grainy and distorted for my taste. Maybe I'm setting it wrong although it seems really simple enough. On the plus side I don't see any "fader" bugs. I don't see how this is transparent in the least. Master IT EQ sounds way better even with "less" bands.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I wouldn't use it *for* compression, just as a limiter to keep levels in a safe zone (in mixing a live situation...where something HOT could enter the mix before I have a chance to correct the levels)

(rather than using a multiband compressor or EQ to solve these things)

A compressor should still be used as it is intended.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Got ya. You don't think it colors and grunges things up though? How would you set it?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I'd reference the recent conversation about mixing on recording...keep input levels at -6db or -12db, and then let the device just do its thing. I don't adjust individual levels of bands...but if one frequency band gets out of control for a few seconds, it doesn't cause the compressor to pump or the output signal to be driven into a world of mud. So, I use it just like a limiter...as a back up plan.

I think Jimmy uses it a little differently...on a stem mix (his Keys)...and uses it to push frequencies slightly (not into the red), while having the spectral limiters to keep him in check if something does jump too high. Assuming volumes don't ever jump, you could just use a graphic EQ. Or if you don't mind the color...use a multi-band compressor. But to keep a mix "untouched" yet have some protection from overdriving a digital signal, this multi-band limiter is a nice tool in the back pocket.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

I see what you mean. I'll try it like that just by itself first.