Recording Vocals with Cubase!

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Dtrain

Recording Vocals with Cubase!

Post by Dtrain »

Hi guys!!

haven`t been here for a while and now, that I upgraded to Version 5.1 and I had a vocalist, that complained about latency when recording, some questions ocuured!

My Setup is with 4ms in ULLI and I have Asio flt modules!

When I route the recording signal from my Adat Source direct to the Adat dest, The vocalist complained about a pour sound!

CAn you guys give me some hints about recording Audio with cubase without latency and still have the cozy feel for the Artist!!

Maybe a simple example project will help!!

Anyway - the switching between Cubase and Scope anoyed me a long time and actually I want to have all signals in one mixing surrounding!

Happy New Year and still Scope sounds great!!

DT
garyb

Re: Recording Vocals with Cubase!

Post by garyb »

well, first you have to understand how a real studio using hardware would do it....

do not monitor through cubase. use a mixer in Scope. Cubase playback feeds a stereo channel in Scope, as does the mic input. when you playback and sing to playback, Cubase is heard at the same time as the singer's mic=ZERO latency. if you use the monitor outs for the singer's headphones, you can give the singer reverb or a delay(or both) without recording the fx. simply have the fx, playback and mic all feed the headphone bus. the fx receive signal through an aux, and the return of the fx can be muted in the main mix if you wish.

there is NO difference in the way that a multi million dollar studio and Scope work in this regard. it's basic studio operation. old books in the public library teaching "how to record in a home studio" using tape decks will teach these basic techniques.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Hi Gary!!

thanks for your quick reply!! Just saw you an UTUBE when discribing the XITE!

I did as you told me, but I got stuck, when I tried to bring the auxes to the monitor mix! That didn`t work! Then I did the auxes extern, but still no aux signal to the record track. I tried the whole day but unfortunately no reverb on the vocal channel! On the Ctrl out - the reverb was there!! I also Disabled the green mix buttons!

Another thing is, do you think I should use the direct outs of the 2448 mixer as record bus for the vocal recording in Cubase or the busses that are on the right side of the mixer!

I finally thought about using the ctrl room as headphone mix!!

Hmm. good that you are there and maybe after the heat of fiddeling around the whole day I got a bit blind!!

So once again!

cubase mix to Channel 1 of 2448
Vocals to channel 2 of 2448
Mon outs to headphones
ctrl room to my speakers

reverb to ?
record bus?
main mix for mastering?

Love and Peace!
garyb

Post by garyb »

the reverb should return to a stereo channel, NOT a return. then you can send it to the monitor mix easily. put the reverb module into the routing window and connect it externally. i suggest using the stm 2448 or 4896 mixers for this...

thanks for the kind words.... :)
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Hey man!!

you did help so many people and me only by reading the answers!!
Could not say enough "thank you gary!!

Record bus or direct out - if I want the recording signal to treated individually from the mon mix!

Main mix or ctrl room for listening to the whole shit I recorded :) :D

THANKS GARY!!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

my pleasure!

either the bus or the direct out works. if i only have a 1 to 8 things to record, i use the recording bus. it makes things much easier and more flexible. there's less repatching and the mixer's footprint is smaller. if i have more than 8 things to record at once, then i use direct outs.

the control room out is for the engineer to monitor. the reason is the main mix should feed the stereo master recorder whether it's hardware, another app or a new stereo channel in the sequencer. the control room allows you to turn the mix up or down without affecting the level from the mix out, so that if someone is talking or the phone rings, you won't ruin the master mix by turning your listening volume up or down.

in a big studio, the control room is where the engineer is, monitor is for headphones and the studio out is for the big playback speakers in the tracking room where the musicians are(behind the glass).
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Yeaph!!!!!!

Just cook my daily pasta and try it it out tomorrow ( naybe tonight - when princess sleeps!! :D )

Health and love to all Sopies for 2012!

best
DT