Project conversions (i/o remapping)

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Fede

Project conversions (i/o remapping)

Post by Fede »

hi all, does anybody know what happens when a project saved with a scope card is loaded in another computer with a different scope card with different i/o?
I mean: suppose you save a project with a "Scope Analog Source" and you load it on a pc with a Pulsar hardware, in which the module name would have been "Pulsar Analog Source". Is it possible to successfully load the project? Does any automatic i/o remapping occur?

I'm often recommending friends to buy Scope systems in order to collaborate with them but actually I don't know if it would be easy with different hw configurations.

If no sort of remapping exists (as I expect :( ), wouldn't be very useful to have some sort of import options to automate the process? I mean the possibility to define rules to automatically remap i/o when loading projects made with different cards..

If anyone has experience with this please share your knowledge! Thx
Fede
dante

Re: Project conversions (i/o remapping)

Post by dante »

Depends on what version you're running of Scope on both machines. I remember upgrading from SPF to Scope 4.0 and virtually had to rebuild my base project from scratch. But seems like 5.0 is loading old projects from 4.0 OK. I think 5.0 searches for the equivalent plugin even though I have the old Scope 4.0 folder on my hard drive, Scope 5.0 seems to be loading devices from its own folders rather than picking up the old ones. But other then that, theres no special remapping program if it doesnt work, its safer to build a project from scratch on the target PC.
at0m

Post by at0m »

You might want to look into ../Devices/Tools/External (Source|Dest|Effect) and the manual for those. The are a way of giving aliases to hardware or ASIO ports. If your friend saves his own version of "ASIO Mix, Monitors, Mic in,...", he can have those IO on another port of his ADAT or Analog IO, but the devices, since saved and loaded locally, would be properly connected to the mixer, in modulars etc.

Some issues you can anticipate:
* If you have different hw IO's for those External (Source|Dest|Effect), let's say your friend uses ADAT but you use Analog Dest for monitors, load an ADAT Dest in your project anyways - to make sure /his/ ADAT port is loaded when the External (Source|Dest|Effect) searches for the ADAT to connect to.
* Make sure you have set up the same amount of Wave and Seq MIDI Dest/Source devices, and load all of them in the project. If Windows' Device Manager on both machines sets 4 Seq MIDI IO and Wave drivers, make sure they're in the project.
* Using a common path/partition for projects avoids searching all devices after loading a project saved on another machine. For example, save all project-dependant files like modulars and projects in R:\$origdate-$projectname\scope, and all other devices (stock devices, Ext.Src|Dest|Effect in C:\Scope\Devices.

If something else pops-up, I'll add :)
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Also, maybe including a screenshot of the Routing Window for the project you are sending to your mate would help in case he cant open the project automatically. At least that way he could take a look at the screenshot and check that he has the relevent modules and devices. This might be more handy for projects that are using 3rd party devices, or other modules that are not part of the standard Scope installation.