cwmSynthi

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

iSiStOy

Re: cwmSynthi

Post by iSiStOy »

Roy: let me tell you, that you are preparing good for Xite era!
Incontournable!
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

cool stuff, seems huge.... just listening to the sound demos and it sounds great.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

roy thinnes wrote:@eminardi: perfect. maybe we can hear some soundbytes of your track?
Here the link of a very very raw version (pre-mix, pre-master, not yet finished...) of the song:
http://www.cactustudio.com/public/Inspi ... uds_03.mp3

Bass: CWM bass synthi
Synths: CWM synthi
Drum: Toontrack EZdrummer triggered with yamaha drumpads
Voices: field record

That's all folks :)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

good stuff Eminardi! cool bass, synth and drum patterns. I wonder how the final version will sound... please let us know.
meanwhile - thanks for sharing! :)
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Just got around to play with this a little, its a fine synth but takes some effort to get ones head around :D

Anyway, i took the liberty of playing with a couple of presets, added some drums and hit record.

All synth is cwmsynthi, drums are Live. Added a bit of Ambience, a SC C, a Compressor S and a Vinco.

Its ment to explore the angry side, and i know there are som shitty clips there. But hey, it's ment to be bootleggish ;)

Hardly original, but gives an idea of the sound.

Oh, and thanks Roy.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man NTN............. :o
That is so cool. I am listening to it again now, it reminds of the old Cream w/ Eric Clapton doing I'm So Glad..........
The rhythms are cool and the glided tunings are awesome.
A most respectful way to thank the creator indeed.

I feel like a schmuck. I just started getting my head around using Reaper for more than MIDI tracks and I cannot for the life of me get lame mp3 converter to work inside of Reaper.
What a putz.....

Nice job Chief... :wink:

Also, Erminardi did a fine job on his tracks too.
You guys are killing me..
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

thanks a lot for comments and demo NTN! 8)
ok, cwmSynthi has reached version 1.3. what's new?
bugfix: missing/forgotten connections
bugfix: lfo gain mod not working correctly
new mod source: aftertouch
download link as always http://www.cwmodular.org/files/CwmSynthi.zip
demo here. in the beginning you'll hear some samples (dry) that I mangled in the synth later on.

have fun!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Your presets are lessons themselves RoyT.
Excellent examples of the power of a killer homegrown synth.
I would love to see what this would have looked like as a hardware synth.......
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Superb work!
A real beast and instant classic.
I've recommended to one friend of mine to buy a 6dsp with OS4s to few bucks to load only your synhts and some other classical of Wavelength straight...

:)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

hello again and thanks for feedback.
one -last :lol: - update (version 1.6) :
two oscs added - uknow and waldorf
different pitch wheel range for the oscs (switch PW1-3)
stereo width (in the fx section)
have fun!
download here
audio snippets here
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

:D :D :D :D :D
JLS

Post by JLS »

Hi Roy

This version is 1.4

v1.6 is available download ?

Thanks info :-)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

thanks JLS,
I fixed it. sorry!
JLS

Post by JLS »

Thanks Roy

Nice work :-)
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi Roy,

Thanks again for the update. It is already an awesome synth. I sent the link to a freind of my brother in law who used to work at EMS back in the early 70's. Unfortunately he doesnt have a Scope setup, although I am working on that :), and am hoping to show him next time he is up here, but in the meantime I am sure the audio snippets will give him an idea. Anyway thanks again :)
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

hi t_tangent,
don't know if your acquaintance will like the cwmSynthi. if he worked at EMS he knows the sound of these bizarre analog devices and will probably be disappointed (missing warmth, deepness etc. because of its digital nature).
of course, this is not any kind of an emulation of the great EMS synthi; to be honest, I never played one personally, but I heard some audio examples which are quite impressive.
and, I liked the idea of a synth with (to some extent) free routing, but didn't want having to use a patch matrix like the original Synthi. I played with the NI Reaktor emulation, which is pretty close to the original I think, but for me this approach was a bit too academical.
so I ended up with a synth where you can have a wide range of possibilities, but without the need to study electronics and stuff. :lol:

btw, there is a nice BBC feature about the "BBC Radiophonic Workshop" where many of these wonderful tv and radio fx had been created - eg the famous "Dalek" voice fx.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfsW6TXMT2k at 2:00 you can watch Dick Mills tweak an EMS synthi A.
also nice to see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7365120.stm Mark Ayers reproducing the "Dalek" sound st 5:30.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the youtube link to that video. Coincidentally I was also sent some related links by my brother in law's friend a few weeks ago which are worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtktHPCo ... r_embedded

Also in that youtube link you sent, Dick Mills mentions Delia Derbyshire and here is another link which may be of interest.

http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/unitdeltaplus.php

Re your cwmSynthi, I do realise you didnt create it to be a virtual clone of the hardware Synthi, and it is a great sounding device in its own right as well as being very flexible. I havent tried the NI Reaktor emulation but will have to check that out sometime.

Even more coincidentally I was perusing the VEMIA auction which took place over the weekend and it only turned out that Dr Peter Zinovleff's very own Synthi A was up for auction. Unfortunately as much as I was tempted I just couldnt quite justify the asking price, even when it dropped to £ 6,200. Luckily I do have another friend who has a Synthi AKS which I am sure I could get to use in his studio if ever I really needed. But for more immediate purposes your cwmSynthi is just as much fun experimenting with, and not forgetting the Scope modular of course. :)

Anyway thanks again for the update and I will end this now as I dont want to hijack your thread any further. :)

Cheers

Tim
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

finally I made some pages on my site about the cwmsynthi:
http://www.cwmodular.org/html/synthi1.html :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Hey Roy, I've been playing with this synth (I actually started looking for a semi-modular effects box, and started using this instead, then started using it as a synth, too!). It's a nice piece of work!

Some requests, if you ever update:
-an insert module, so any device can be inserted. Maybe it's a limit of presets not to load/unload devices, but it'd be cool. So an external effect port maybe also be good!
A sequence type Mod. Difficult to place in the size provided, but an external surface could also work for editing steps.
and maybe a few extra inputs. I've been using my bass through an envelope follower, and then into the Synthi to be used as a mod source on an insert.
also, an X-Y or 4-input joystick mixer for the SourceMix1/2 would also add some power like the vectron has!
roy thinnes

Post by roy thinnes »

Hi,
in fact I thought of exactly the same things you mentioned (insert, sequencer, xy control) when I made Synthi.
back then I didn't like the fx insert idea because you can't modulate fx inserts, and the core feature of Synthi is its modularity - every module should be able to be modulated by any other module.
for the sequencer(s), problems would have occurred with a) space, as you mentioned, and b) dsp usage, resp. time to load the device. together with the difficulty whether to choose gate, control, note, or all of them.
ok, the good news is, I found out a solution recently:
it is possible to have as many ins and outs for insert fx as you like!

http://www.cwmodular.org/files/LpFilterStereo.mdl

simplest device but can be loaded as an insertFx and be modulated, by choosing two mod sources for cf and q. (note: to deselect a mod source, choose same mod source again, and its gone).
so, for a future version of Synthi, I could outsource dsp-hungry modSources -like sequencers- to external devices (eg Modular).
problem, as always, is time, but where there's a will there's always a way :)