Living On A TalkBox

Compare notes on how to get the most from Scope devices, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Living On A TalkBox

Post by dante »

Anyone know how to get the Bon Jovi talking guitarwah owah owah owah owah on Scope ?
at0m

Re: Living On A TalkBox

Post by at0m »

Which part were you thinking of doing on scope? The full thing, like you just feed it an instrument and apply some formant filters? I could work something out, or make the real thing yourself like explained here...
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes!
Wouldn't it be possible that a well-thought env. follower modular thinga could do the job?
dante

Post by dante »

LOL !! So all it is (after watching vid) is a horn driver connected in parallel to your cab speaker and some tube. Heh guess I'm one of the dumbos he reffered to as confusing it with vocoder where I thought it took vocal input plus guitar input. Well there may not be much for Scope to do but if you guys come up with anything....
at0m

Post by at0m »

dante, yea you feed the guitar to a little speaker housed in a cone. The other end of the cone connects to a tube, transferring the sound to your mouth. You shape/filter/... the sound by changing your mouth's shape, then mic that echo back into the monitor/main amp. I don't think emulating that on Scope would be progress, since all the articulations are made by your mouth - that's difficult or even wasteful to emulate. Just take a speaker like from an old radio (3 to 5"?) and pipe it through :D
dante

Post by dante »

ok atom, now I see why you say 'more can be done with less'. As soon as I saw vid I realised it was the mouth/pipe mechanism which was doing the work, not some fancy reverse vocoder curcuit etc. Thanks for the lowdown anyway, I might make one then.

The only thing I can add to what you're saying is that the piping of the sound to mouth then that sound back to cabinet seem to be one and the same pipe / electrical connection.

EG its not like one pipe in then another pipe / mic output back - at least thats the way it seemed from the vid. but I could be wrong..
iSiStOy wrote:Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes!
Wouldn't it be possible that a well-thought env. follower modular thinga could do the job?
Possibly but doing it from an envelope follower would be more like say an 'autowah' where you have to start a new note to get another 'wah' rather than shaping things even in the middle of a note with your mouth, making it talk like.
at0m

Post by at0m »

dante wrote:The only thing I can add to what you're saying is that the piping of the sound to mouth then that sound back to cabinet seem to be one and the same pipe / electrical connection.

EG its not like one pipe in then another pipe / mic output back - at least thats the way it seemed from the vid. but I could be wrong..
Well, the sound isn't traveling back down the pipe to the cabinet - it might but it's not being used, would be overruled by the dry sound anyways. A mic in front of the mount captures the 'filtered' vocal sound, just like for singing, and is then recorded/monitored.
dante

Post by dante »

Aaa h ok a mic in front - thats the piece of the puzzle I was missing. So you're working 3 things at once doing this trick -pipe + mic + guitar.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Linn Design Adrenalinn can do "talkbox without actual words" sounds.

If you don't want to build a talkbox, you can probably sequence a formant filters cutoff/vowel with a Midi CC (not velocity because it needs to slide) (which is pretty much whjat the adrenalinn does)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Or you could buy Celmos Talk Box.
It's quite authentic and works perfectly well on on synths ala Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh.
Totally MIDI controllable, And as usual, Celmos devices just work everytime.
Untitled.jpg
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Really interesting.
Thanks for the Celmo Talkbox tip as well, Jimmy
dante

Post by dante »

Thanks JAV, you've hit the spot yet again. Checking Celmo's - can feel a scoperise article in the wind here...at $70 its cheaper than a real one and less laborious than build yer own, and sounds better than a straight Vocoder even making harmonies on a chord input !
at0m

Post by at0m »

Dry sound to the speaker, through funnel and tube. Then mouth reflects 'formant filtered' sound back to mike, which is then monitored/recorded. Effect is like a light vowelish auto-wah.

Had good fun with other 'echo chambers', too: Another funnel, coffee pot, my daughter's little plastic shovel, etc =] The effect when sliding the chambers over and away from the tube exit/mike combo is more phasing/flanging, comparable to the sound of your footsteps when you're walking through an alley.

I first had the talkbox sitting next to me, but the direct speaker sound mixed in the mike, too much. So I used the spare hole in the wall ;) to put the talkbox in the next room, a small storage room where my DAW is, too. That did away with the talkbox mess, and with the crossbleed.
Attachments
3eu talkbox: had to buy old speaker to canibalize.  Using old spare amp, household funnel and left-over tube from construction works.
3eu talkbox: had to buy old speaker to canibalize. Using old spare amp, household funnel and left-over tube from construction works.
2010-09-07_talkbox.jpg (192.16 KiB) Viewed 14116 times
dante

Post by dante »

A damn funnel - thats a great idea ! LOL :lol:
wayne

Post by wayne »

I'll repost this Rufus tune (it changes address a lot) for some nice non-Frampton boxwork
skwawks

Post by skwawks »

My digitech rp 250 has a preset , which you can manipulate with it's built in expression pedal , called "Der Ya" ...Sounds a lot like Joe Walsh to me :D
Marco

Post by Marco »

This is so mad but genius! Very creative stuff here!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!