Wooden Stage SC-Ambience-X

Preset lists and tools for Scope modules

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Wooden Stage SC-Ambience-X

Post by dawman »

Hardware reverbs like the Lexicon PCM70 are the reason why people love reverb. It isn't authentic but the sound is to die for. Analog hardware has a 6db insertion loss and operates at a +4db level unless its a consumer device. In the virtual world I haven't got a clue what the formula is, or if there is even a formula. All I know is that I have never been able to get the sound of the effect to wrap around the source signal until I actually started thinking about boosting and attenuating the signals and just using my ears.
SC-Ambience-X.zip
Modular Reverb.JPG
at0m

Re: Wooden Stage SC-Ambience-X

Post by at0m »

Hey, why first attenuate the input by 3dB, have the "Out Level" at -3dB, and finally adding another 6dB after the verb?

And why "Mix" and the delay's "Dry Mix" at 50%? I think you're adding some dry to your Aux effect... or are you using it as insert?
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Re: Wooden Stage SC-Ambience-X

Post by dawman »

I metered Kontakt and found most of the developers have default values of +4 and +6, and PianoteqPro has +8db. PTeq Pro also has a +4db Claivinet. +3db Wurlitzer.etc.
Since these VST developers all have different default db values and I tire from chasing them around It's easier having excessive attenuation options before I use the effect.
Reminds me of Asus and various mobo manufacturers OC'ing their default (stock ) settings to give the illusion of a better design.
Scope has accurate readings and since I never use reverbs on synths I won't be using this. This is basically for ASIO and to get the sound I need from the reverb.
Plus another reason I like this is for when I use this as an AUX send/return effect. I can set the -12db Stereo attenuator to Odb and boost the signal post effect for a better result.
I should have never doubted my ears.
A good example is to take a Saw wave from an SE-1X analog synth, and a Saw wave from the EML-101. In the mathematically perfect world the Oscilliscope shows the exact signal and therfore should sound the same. This is not the case as anyone who actually uses real analog synths knows the SE-1X and EML-101 saw waves sound different. So from now on I shall trust my ears instead of the perfectly mathematical science we are told is valid. I actually get Red LED levels on my meters when I take the signal pre stereo compressor. But I don't hear any clipping, but the meter tells me I am suppose to.
I really notice the Barbettas sound much more in my face now when I ignore the ASIO metering formula.