Notchy LFO's

Anything about the Scope modular synths

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Notchy LFO's

Post by dawman »

I have Great success with Flexors Envelopes, they are Snappy and I do not detect any jitter when sweeping Filters and such.
But I also use switches to go from Envelopes to an LFO as a Modulation source. Especially when I need to play repetitive synth parts w/ the percussive attack of a B2003.
I am having difficulty getting a 100% smooth loop though.
I have tried using a MultiSegment Envelope and even Roys Sine LFO that has a seperate amount knpb on it.
Is there a trick to get the LFO from being too drastic. I want the smoothness and accuracy of an Envelope but w/o re triggering.
Any suggestions be greatly appreciated.

Your Friend & Mine.

JimmyV.
modularman

Re: Notchy LFO's

Post by modularman »

Hi Jimmy,

can you post us a picture of the part of your patch with just the way you want the envelope and LFO are wired and react.

I have several solutions but I don't know which one suits you best for your problem.

:)
YT
Vita Brevis ......... Ars Longa
dawman

Post by dawman »

@ 1800 Hours GMT I will post what I am working on.
Thanks ModMan. I know you have elegant solutions as well as patches.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The preset is doing basically what I want.
I can also use the envelope, but was trying to avoid the re triggering.
I have had some tips from a pair of Modular gurus I am trying out.
I am interested to see your thoughts.
The LFO sweep is what I want but I can't use more than 1 Oscillator it seems.
I hear grungy artifacts, etc.
But just one Oscillator is thin IMHO.
I need to add more and use the MVC C unison detuning capabilitites.

Thanks ModMan.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Another thing that frustrates me, is when I throw a limiter pre Poly Out and Post VCA Linear, is that notes drop in and out.
I love the way that there are so many variables in Modular, but when problems arise, troubleshooting can be so annoying trying to find the source of the problem.

Ankyu.
modularman

Post by modularman »

Hi Brother Jimmy

I'll post a patch with 2 very basics solutions 4 the LFO.

For artifacts, it is normal because there is no real standard mix in modular, all are incomplete..... :roll:

you don't need a limiter because with this you just reduce the amplitude of your signal but not artifacts, you must prevent artifacts but when they are here .......they are here ........

I've added one of my tricks to get a big Fat sound even with only 1 oscillator and without clipping

I don't understand why you say that you can not add other oscillators???
(as you know my english is a little bit .... :) )
Notchy LFO YT.jpg
Notchy LFO YT.jpg (254.6 KiB) Viewed 5384 times
Notchy LFO YT.zip
(2.21 MiB) Downloaded 320 times
If that do not the job like you want, i have other solution in mind (it's just a first tiny test...)

See you soon

YT
Last edited by modularman on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Alright Brotha' Man.......
I have downloaded and will check it out now....

Thanks Buddy..... :wink:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes this is a nice patch.
I was using advice from at0m with a bi2uni module and the module w/ a switch is a nice elegant way to do this. Unipolar to free Offset is nice.
So many neat tricks here I must spend the day dissecting.
I am also trying a MIDI Splitter so I can have the keyboard actually sweeping the filter with note values.
So many ways to go with this.

Thanks Boss.................
modularman

Post by modularman »

Thank you Jimmy

I hope the patch resolve your problem, I changed the MVC and the Filter because I don't have Mod IV (in fact i don't have SFP 5).
I'm just inspired by the picture of the post but if you look very carefully your pic, you'll realize yourself very quickly that missing 2 or 3 things .....

WIRING !!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't have mod IV, i can't open your patch ......... and with no wiring is a little hard :wink: :wink: :wink:

I just wired a patch logically with the modules that your image offered me .............. done in 20 minutes, 2 or 3 chords on the piano and posted on Z

If you have questions PM me :wink: :wink:

YT
David

Post by David »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I am also trying a MIDI Splitter so I can have the keyboard actually sweeping the filter with note values...
Can you tell me more about this module as I've been trying to get controlled midi note sweeps for awhile but even though I've come close nothing is yet satisfactory - I'm guessing it's because I'm not thinking about this problem in the correct way.

Cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

I tried to do this too, and ran out of time from doing gigs.
I know you will need Alfonsos or Fra77x modules, and a MIDI Splitter as I did learn a similar trick for sending program changes using note numbers.
Ask Assaf today to explain this maybe after class.
Todays class is going to be great, but when we return on the 2nd I will really be getting a good workout. Hell I might even be able to have more conversations with MMan, atom, Assaf and Roy T. since I speak the language now.... :D
I am going Hunting & Fishing during the break for 2 weeks back east in the Ozark Mountains, and hope to fly back on the 2nd just before class. I might be late, but will have another years Trout and Elk.
I even grow my own Apples and Tomatoes now since I can't afford the Wild Oats Organic food.
Bunch of rich snobs anyways.
Sad but true, the food in American and Canadian grocery stores is Genetically grown crap, and the meats are steroid fed animals, it's really disgusting.
The FDA allows this to happen and cannot prove or disprove the side effects.
In the USA we are taken advantage of by big business, and the Government.........we can't get no respect.
RodneyDangerfield_Album_no_respect.jpg
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

yum yum....great elk dish this with lots of extra ingredients :lol: :lol:
Attachments
IMG_3691.jpg
IMG_3691.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 5206 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

It looks tasty.
I really like the Bong hit sprinkled over the plate. Must have an added effect to the Entree.