What are the "Must Have"s for a Scope pro ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

pollux

Re: What are the "Must Have"s for a Scope pro ?

Post by pollux »

koalaboy wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:i hope you're single or you soon will be. :D
You mean 5 months isn't too young to start teaching my daughter Modular synthesis as I learn ?? :lol:
Kids learn so damned fast :D my 7 year old son already plays drums better than I'll ever do :lol:
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

garyb wrote:DAS mix/mastering tools and the BX digital meet or exceed UAD quality....so do the new S/C verbs...
Really? I should like to know more about this. UAD have a few very good compressors, I like a lot the Fairchild. Are Scope at the same level? If are, Xite-1 is the way to go for this great dsp power for sure.
garyb

Post by garyb »

lagoausente wrote:
garyb wrote:DAS mix/mastering tools and the BX digital meet or exceed UAD quality....so do the new S/C verbs...
Really? I should like to know more about this. UAD have a few very good compressors, I like a lot the Fairchild. Are Scope at the same level? If are, Xite-1 is the way to go for this great dsp power for sure.

yes, really.
i wouldn't fist-fight someone over their perference, but quality-wise, Scope's stuff is CERTAINLY comparable. some may like one or the other a little better, but from an audio tool point of view, Scope has nothing to be ashamed of compared to UAD, and actually, Scope has stuff that UAD doesn't. in addition, the Scope stuff can be used real-time, so it can be used live and during ods. the XITE is certainly the biggest bargain in the history of electronic sound tools(imho).

naturally, there's never too many audio tools, so having both is a nice thing, but not having the UAD isn't nearly as crippling as not having Scope, at least for me.

yes, the Fairchild comp was a great one. i really like UAD's emu and DAS's emu is normally my comp of choice.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

garyb wrote:
lagoausente wrote:

yes, really.
i wouldn't fist-fight someone over their perference, but quality-wise, Scope's stuff is CERTAINLY comparable. some may like one or the other a little better, but from an audio tool point of view, Scope has nothing to be ashamed of compared to UAD, and actually, Scope has stuff that UAD doesn't. in addition, the Scope stuff can be used real-time, so it can be used live and during ods. the XITE is certainly the biggest bargain in the history of electronic sound tools(imho).

naturally, there's never too many audio tools, so having both is a nice thing, but not having the UAD isn't nearly as crippling as not having Scope, at least for me.

yes, the Fairchild comp was a great one. i really like UAD's emu and DAS's emu is normally my comp of choice.
Any experience with hardware? The DIY community build old fairchailds, La2A etc, what seemt to be better than sofware.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the real thing is probably better, but not dollar for dollar and not necessarily.

the Scope tools are more than sufficient. really, there's a lot of "blaming the tools" rather than the user these days. i usually use the DAS fairchild, which is a throw-in with their compressor bundle, and it easily does as good a job as my vintage dbx 160(the version with the big analog vus). in fact, the software compressor is WAY more transparent. i have a number of high quality hardware compressors and i haven't used a single one for sooo long...

i wouldn't recommend getting too worried or worked up about it. it'd be more fun to just use the tools and learn from experience what works best for you...(said because i'm just spouting out opinion)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have replaced all hardware including synths, effects and mixers.
If I am confident a certain demo has a chance at a great gig, or a commercial recording I can have my tracks mastered on hardware for dirt cheap these days by real pros here in town.
They don't have any waiting lines like 12 years ago.
They actually are quite slow even though they are always working on whatever helps pay the bills.
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

Garyb, I think you have reason, maybe is for mastering where the hardware can get the final punch?
I read that you can force more the hardware compressors, and that with sofware is much more dificult to have a final result with such punch.
I have UAD1 card, and even it has good plugins, and after have used very good mics, pres and AD, but the final sound when comparing with a comercial CD the diference is very big. On moderm comercial CDs all music is up, al sounds big and clear, my mixings sound like a demo tape, small, tiny...
Trying and trying and trying diferent compressions and EQs, but cannot get that punch with that realism.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well things like the room you're in, AD/DAs, mic pres and etc all factor into the final sound, as well as the engineer's skill(i know a guy who gets big time results out of the cubase sx2 compressor!). one thing that you can't really duplicate is the ROOM, the MONITORS, the EQs and COMPRESSORS in a high-end mastering studio. all those items will be custom built and everything down to the wiring will be of the highest quality. add to this the EARS of an experienced top-level engineer and you really can't match that at home. real mastering studios cost millions. why try to compete with that? your whole recording budget is less than that! there's no reason for you not to be able to get just short of the best mastering houses, which is more than good enough to make millions, if the product is at that level.
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

I don't have any of the DAS stuff. Is there anything you think that would be a good addition to the stuff already in the full Scope package?

BTW I just have to upgrade to Flexor 3 ..it's ridiculous I haven't got it yet...

What's happening about this Mod3 - Mod4 upgrade? I contacted S/C - no joy from them
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

garyb wrote:i usually use the DAS fairchild, which is a throw-in with their compressor bundle, and it easily does as good a job as my vintage dbx 160(the version with the big analog vus). in fact, the software compressor is WAY more transparent. i have a number of high quality hardware compressors and i haven't used a single one for sooo long...
Garyb, please, tell us which one is the 'fairchild' ! Because I don't see any in their bundle. And I'm not able to recognize it !
The DAS compressors are really good imho, even if I don't have enough experience to be 100% sure of that ! I like the Wolf Kompressor, also :
http://www.wolf-audio.com/wad/devices/E ... essor.html
It is very precise, chirurgical ! And very affordable price.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Post by garyb »

JoPo wrote:
garyb wrote:i usually use the DAS fairchild, which is a throw-in with their compressor bundle, and it easily does as good a job as my vintage dbx 160(the version with the big analog vus). in fact, the software compressor is WAY more transparent. i have a number of high quality hardware compressors and i haven't used a single one for sooo long...
Garyb, please, tell us which one is the 'fairchild' ! Because I don't see any in their bundle. And I'm not able to recognize it !
The DAS compressors are really good imho, even if I don't have enough experience to be 100% sure of that ! I like the Wolf Kompressor, also :
it's possible they aren't including it currently. you'd have to email them about it for more info.

yes, i agree. Wolf's products are also very good!
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

+1 I will back up this statement.

bxDigital - awesome.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
mailheist

Post by mailheist »

garyb wrote:i'm not telling you to put down the UAD, although it's a lttle bit redundant now, especially considering that it's not real-time....still, one can never have too many mixtools...
UAD-2 uses live mode, so therefore it is a live tool and only depends on your audio card latency.
pollux

Post by pollux »

JoPo wrote:
www.digitalaudiosoft.com wrote:we also announce an update for the Dynamic Bundle ... a third device DAS660 (see picture below) is included in the Bundle** ... but not sold alone. ** Retroactive offer : Avaible for the ones that already bought the Dynamic Bundle since may 2007 ... (email us with your invoice - support@digitalaudiosoft.com)

It's not a Fairchild 660 emulation, but rather inspired by it :)

I really like this plug.. specially on the toms :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

don't even dare to think about THAT :o :D

btw my walkman sized dbx MC6 is also rather inpired by Fairchild.
but it sounds way better than it looks... ;)

cheers, Tom (yet uncompressed)
sorry, couldn't resist
garyb

Post by garyb »

mailheist wrote:
garyb wrote:i'm not telling you to put down the UAD, although it's a lttle bit redundant now, especially considering that it's not real-time....still, one can never have too many mixtools...
UAD-2 uses live mode, so therefore it is a live tool and only depends on your audio card latency.
Scope doesn't have latency, so there's no need for a bogus "live mode". still, i acknowledge the worth of the UAD card. i would never say it's not worth using if you like it! it's bullshit to say that it's a live tool however, regardless of cool marketing lingo. the soundcard's latency is way too much to call zero latency and zero latency is required live.
pollux

Post by pollux »

JoPo wrote:

Hi JoPo.... did you get the 660 from DAS? :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Speaking of live the TC PoCo rack had a " Live Mode " button on the front and while this looked cool, enabling it doubled the DSP use to the point where only one plug could be used.... :o
I also tried the UAD2 last winter and there's no difference in the quality of the plugs except for the nice pictures that act as a Placebo effect. http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... n-the-mind
I admit I suffer from this but the psychological benefits could actually make one believe he has the better sounds due to the pictures, etc.
I do this but I have a better sound in " my own mind " for cheaper.....
I use to say this w/ the old Creamware cards, and then a friend played the same Gighastudio libraries through his Multiface Hammerfall, and it sounded better, but I told myself I liked the DSP color better.
Well now the same card sounds just like my XITE-1.......hmmm....I wondered if the Placebo was causing this. I then turned to screen and saw those nice B2003 GUI's and Cool mixers, etc. Suddenly everything sounded better.
muswell

Post by muswell »

Maybe some people need a picture to be able to hear properly.

I've got all the tools, except of course Scope which is difficult to find and even harder to understand but I'm sure it's got it's uses.

I also don't have RME, use cheap off-the-shelf AD converters and when it comes to recording my choices are even more limited.

What people need to understand is that tools are made for a purpose, there is not a single tool that can be used in all situations. The sooner people start to recognize this, the better it will be for the industry at large.