FLEXOR CLASSES FROM THE MASTER HIMSELF.....................

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

FLEXOR CLASSES FROM THE MASTER HIMSELF.....................

Post by dawman »

Herald1.jpg
As of Janurary 23rd Flexor/Modular classes will commence.
The teacher is the developer himself. So obviously this is the way to go for those who wish to excell but are overwhelmed by current threads, forums and manuals.
Start times are 4pm-Midnight Greenwich.
Great for Europeans and great for Yanks with no day gig.
It's first come first served, and the class if half full.
Exact times will be worked out between the students once 5 more people sign on.

Classes are designed as mini semesters. 10 weeks in length.
2 hours per class once a week. And there is homework. So if you screw up he keeps your money and bans you for the rest of the semester.......just kiddin'.. :lol:
160 dollars up front for the first 4 classes, and if it's too complex and difficult you can bail. Or stay and continue for the remaining 7 classes for 40 USD per week.

I will contact Assaf once the class is full, and then we will agree on the exact times as he is a flexible, trained proffessional.

Happy Hunting.
All discussions can be done here and then taken to Skype.
The classes will be done in Screencast as a group.

Cheers.
iSiStOy

Re: FLEXOR CLASSES FROM THE MASTER HIMSELF.....................

Post by iSiStOy »

Will we use Screencast.com? Should create an account there?
David

Post by David »

This is such a great opportunity to learn Modular.... Good News

That fanfare isn't loud enough!
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

So potentially someone could pick a class start from 4-6pm, 6-8pm 8-10pm 10-12 pm is that correct? I'm glad this has come to fruition I hope I can make it! Any concessions for those hard up, out of work and currently studying would be greatly appreciated :D

Also are you gonna post the course content here?

thx JV
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Student Loans are cool......... :D
Nice..I'll pass you my bank acc details then. Your a generous man JV :D :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

Keep your eyes peeled for these too.
Real nice Music Pack w/ downloadable demos....
untitledcc.JPG
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

This will be fun :)
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

hey guys, seems that whatever happens on skype between jimmy and me ends up here :P
j/k we have no secrets in our community :wink:

anyhow, i thought id give more details about this event. I teach in a big sound college here for several years, and i am leading my own synthesis department. I have thought countless students the inside outs of the modular synthesizer. Here i teach using Synth Maker since not everybody are lucky enough to be able to run mod4+flexor on their systems. Soon we will be switching to FleXor native.

FleXor native is almost ready, and we shall be releasing a public beta soon. this beta is fully operational but is missing small features designated for v1 (more info on that soon). We are planning to make the first beta version available only to current FleXor users for a very special price that will include the full v1 of-course!

A couple of weeks ago the subject of the course i give came up on one of my chats with jimmy. Jimmy asked if i could teach him through the net. i said sure, "we can use skype". After 2 days, jimmy has said he has 2 more people who want to join. And it started snowballing. Since the course here is 60 lessons ( http://www.gogma.com/Synthesis_Course.html ) and it is is designed for complete noobs, i have decided to change the format of the lessons to make it more suitable for people who have modular II. Thats right, you don't need flexor, modular 4, or any of the fancy stuff to enjoy this course just modular 2.

The first "semester" will be about subtractive synthesis, fm and some additive. after which the students will intimately understand 90% of the synthesizers they meet. At each lesson will have an important synthesizer dissected and constructed in the modular environment.

the syllabus:

0) Introduction
This is a free lesson, an introduction to modular synthesis. Basic concepts, signal types, module types and so on.

1) TB 303
a simple subtractive synthesizer and the guitar of electronic music. This lesson defining the essence of musical behavior, and introduce the first modular patch, and one of the most useful ones.

2) Juno 106
an all time classic synthesizer. This lesson will be delving into modulation concepts, and aesthetics in sound design

3) The additive synthesizer
This lesson is about the most versatile form of synthesis - with which any sound can be made. it is the most fundamental synthesis method and contains basic information on how sound works.

4) FM synthesis
This lesson will be introducing simple FM and Phase Modulation concepts. FM is usually a hard method to master, in this lesson the students will be given useful tips that will help them master this synthesis method.

5) FM synthesis
More on FM synthesizers, complex FM synthesis and aesthetics in FM synthesis.

6) Arp odyssey
This synthesizer has one of the most flexible architectures available. The following lessons will each concentrate on a different aspect of the synthesizer. this lesson will be about the basic architecture of the arp, and advanced modulation concepts

7) Arp odyssey
This lessons will be about sync, pitch modulation(close to FM) and Ring modulation

8) Arp odyssey
This lesson will be about sample n hold, filter FM, looping envelopes, and sound design aesthetics

9) Modern synthesizers
This lesson will deconstruct the Nord lead and the Virus synthesizers

10) Advanced modular
This lesson will give an array of ideas on how to develop your simple patches into unique creations, and is an introduction to the next semester.

After each lesson the students will be given homework, because synthesis needs practice (after that its like riding a bike).

Jimmy will be managing the rest as he is the engine behind this project.
Thanks Jimmy!
:D
Last edited by ReD_MuZe on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Hi,

This sounds fantastic. So, to check, this course will be targetted at people with limited or no knowledge of modular synthesis?

Also, I have 9 dsps at the moment and a modular III key (not Flexor). Is that enough?

Finally, I'm also not quite clear on the start time point. Will the course attendees mutually agree this? I wouldn't be able to do before around 7 or 8pm GMT.

Very excited,
Will
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

w_ellis wrote:This sounds fantastic. So, to check, this course will be targetted at people with limited or no knowledge of modular synthesis?
True. People who know nothing about modular to people who know modular but not enough to really enjoy it.
w_ellis wrote: Also, I have 9 dsps at the moment and a modular III key (not Flexor). Is that enough?
more than enough!
w_ellis wrote: Finally, I'm also not quite clear on the start time point. Will the course attendees mutually agree this?
yes we will make some kind of deduction mechanism to determine the best hours/days according to all the people involved.
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

Hi,

That's a great plan. I can't wait for it to begin!
In course 2, I'll even be able to compare with HW version (an HS60) :D
In course 3 as well (with a Kawai K5000. A huge pita to program)
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Yeah - I hope there is more courses too - I'm looking forward to posting my modular patches here without fear of embarrassment! :lol:

So we do all the stuff through Screencast?- I use a similar system for online tutorials with the Open University called Elluminate.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

This is good news thanks Assaf 8) Hey strav100 I'm an OU student as well at the moment! I knew I'd be back to study sooner or later but this time no female distraction :lol:
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

And regarding additive synthesis, no plan to be made: it's basically for theory's sake, I imagine.
I'm quite sure of the amount of knowledge you need to accumulate before just being able to edit an additive synth like the K5000. 2x64 harmonic frequencies, with envelopes, for one patch only is just not human!
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Nah...it's easy with Alchemy
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

I Did not try Alchemy, but I tried on the machine and even with grouping, it's just not funny. Happily, some soft (java made :evil: ) can helps scanning a short wave file to setup harmonics for you but it doesn't seem to be accurate.
I should give a try to the vst, at least for understanding purposes
ReD_MuZe

Post by ReD_MuZe »

iSiStOy wrote:In course 2, I'll even be able to compare with HW version (an HS60) :D
In course 3 as well (with a Kawai K5000. A huge pita to program)
After course 1 you should feel at home with modular enough to clone most synthesizers

Before course 2 and 3 there will be short math and music refreshment lessons to clear the rust. Don't worry, this is 4rth grade math i'm talking about. EZ stuff.

Course 2 - Modular processing - this is a great course for sound engineers aswell
Course 3 - advanced synthesis - making unique synthesizers nobody has. This should be great for advanced users as well.
Course 4 - Master classes - 10 intense lessons packed with theme based ideas of advanced synthesis. This is for advanced users only.

strav100 wrote:So we do all the stuff through Screencast?- I use a similar system for online tutorials with the Open University called Elluminate.
Yes, i am currently testing several software for sound quality, file transfer and resolution. any recommendations will be welcome. ill also be upgrading my internet speed for that...
iSiStOy wrote:And regarding additive synthesis, no plan to be made: it's basically for theory's sake, I imagine.
basically yes this is mainly for understanding sound behavior, but i will give some musically useful yet simple additive recipes - they exist!
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Not to worry It was explained in a PM thx

****Hey Red could you clarify how the time slotting will work as JAV mentioned there would potentially be a number of slots available. GMT late evening is always gonna be better for me...kids in bed, homework out the way etc
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Well I am looking forward to this. Jimmy put me on the list if I am not already.