Please vote on these new ASBs!

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Tarkus

Please vote on these new ASBs!

Post by Tarkus »

Hi everyone!

I created this thread to discuss some ideas about a new wave of ASB synthesizers that I'd really like to see put into production. I was seriously considering buying an ASB just a while ago. However the progressive rock band I'm playing in needed more sonic flexibility, and thought that these vintage classics were just too 'old school' for our needs (without some of the modern bells and whistles). Grudgingly, I bought a standard virtual analog instead.

However I've contacted Sonic Core recently (the new owners of Creamware), and discussed the possibility of a new series of ASBs, modeled after some of the more flexible vintage synths. However needless to say before they put any of these into production they want to be fairly assured these products would sell. That is what falls to you, my fellow synthesits. I've set up a poll where you can vote on which ASBs you would seriously consider buying. You can also vote on whether or not you would like to see ASKs (Accurate Sounding Keyboards), keyboard versions of some ASBs already in production. Here is a description of the different options:

1)An ARP 2600 ASB. This synth is a classic, and is famous for its brilliant semi-modular design. 2600s are in huge demand but finding one in good condition with all the desirable filters/sequencers is nearly impossible. An ASB, on the other hand, could have the best oscillators without the stability issues, the best filter without the copyright issues, and that elusive sequencer. The polyphony would also be a real plus. Best of all, it would even be possible to use REAL patch cables, something that would undoubtedly make this an instant success. This would be any hobbyists dream come true (as well as all of those musicians who want the tactile pleasure of creating an analog patch without the cost of a custom Synthesizers.com modular system). Patch storage would still be possible as well! Once you have the patch cables all set up your liking could save your sound to the user bank. When you recall the preset in the future the ASB would recall your patch cable settings, allowing you to get the sound again without having to rearrange the cables. You could, of course, and then overwrite your own internal connections with real patch cables if further editing was needed. If one of these was made available, I would buy it instantly. Before my other synth even sold. I imagine it would be priced around same as a System 1200, which seems more than fair. An ASK version of this would be terrific, and I’d be quite willing to pay extra for that original looking keyboard controller.

2) An EMS VCS3 ASB. The EMS VCS3 was a classic in its time, made famous by its excellent Sci-Fi worthy sounds and it’s incredible sequencer (used so tastefully on Pink Floyd’s ‘On The Run’) With good polyphony and some patch storage this has tons of potential. Patch storage would be possible in the same way as the Arp 2600 ASB mentioned above.

3) A Mellotron ASB/ASK. For those of us who are sick of the overpriced Memotron and its 12 presets but still want Mellotron sounds. The way I imagined it, it would have the same 256 memory slots as all of the other ASBs. However each of the slots would actually be a tape bank, containing three separate sounds which can be changed/layered in a manner similar to the original Mellotron. The built in librarian software would allow you to combine the different presets to create dream tape racks for easy real time use. Built in effects could include tape flutter. Epic polyphony would be welcome. Sure, most people can find some good Mellotron sounds in their workstation. But I wouldn’t underestimate the demand for modern Mellotron emulations.

4) A Hartmann Neuron ASB/ASK. This is one of the most demanded oldinstruments out there. Many people who desired one were unable to buy these first time around due to its originally quite excessive pricing. I’m sure that ASBs could lower the cost of producing these considerably, making them much more affordable and available.

In addition to these new ASBs I also have listed ASK versions of all the original ASBs. In each case these keyboard versions would be just like the originals synths, with the same number of keys and same left handed controls. The only difference would be optional aftertouch and a switch for monophonic/polyphonic mode.

Please take the time to fill out the poll that I have created: http://www.learnmyself.com/poll19839x069EaA61

I look forward to hearing your opinion on these potential ASBs. If you have any additional vintage synths you’d like to see in production, you can put them in the ‘other section’. Please fill out this poll honestly. If these instruments get enough support behind them Sonic Core may put them into production. Thank you for spending a bit of your time giving me this feedback. Happy polling and I look forward to hearing from you!

All the Best,
Kyle
erminardi

Re: Please vote on these new ASBs!

Post by erminardi »

Something like this, an Oberheim OB-8 ASB...

http://www.sonicprojects.ch/obx/welcome.html

:roll:
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

Something like this....My Yamaha CS80 Mockup....
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

Personally, I would like Sonic Core to fix the current ASB's before they even THINK about recreating any other synths.

But, in saying that, an ARP2600 would be great... Oh, oh, oh... and a Korg Micro Preset (KIDDING!)
Broadwave Homebrew Analogue Synthesizers
http://www.bytes2bits.co.uk
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Preferrably you should add a Poll to your post to show us the result here.
It would be easier for further Discussion.

What about a 6-string + Dynatube bundle ASB ?
My other interest would be:
- Syrinx ASB
- OSCar ASB
- Kobol ASB
- EMS VCS3 ASB
- Vectron ASB
- Lightwave ASB
- Microwave XT ASB
- A SOLARIS ASK :D

or something more novative inspired from Reason Thor instrument providing some choice of Oscillators / Shaper / Filter with a set of modulation sources and a well-thought mod matrix routing system (inspired from the VCS 3 for example).

CheerZ
Last edited by HUROLURA on Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Here is a purposal for a DCS-3 ASB (D for DSP instead of V for Voltage) in a Prodyssey ASB box size:
New ASB candidate purposal
New ASB candidate purposal
VCS3b_ASB_small.jpg (86.81 KiB) Viewed 14744 times
CheerZ
Last edited by HUROLURA on Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Buchla
Oberheim Xpander
Synclavier :P (for great ring mods and glassy pads)

Oh...and glad to hear of the new developments.

Greg
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Updated the picture of what I wish to be the next ASB unit (VCS3) ...

Just wondering if any SDK user would be interested in setting up a project team to build up something like this for Scope ?

CheerZ
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

+1 for the Xpander!...and Buchla.......riiiiiiiiight... :lol:
siriusbliss wrote:Buchla
Oberheim Xpander

Greg
Joel
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

netguyjoel wrote:+1 for the Xpander!...and Buchla.......riiiiiiiiight... :lol:
siriusbliss wrote:Buchla
Oberheim Xpander

Greg
hehe :lol:
and how about that Synclavier?

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

riiiiiiiiight..... :lol:
Joel
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

I for one would like to see shrromz' C4T in hardware, with knobs and keys. for a reasonable price, of course... ;)
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Good idea.
What about building up a DIY kit based on an old a low power PC board + a scope LUNA + a DIY box with MIDI controller card (one of the DIY or one from Doepfer).
What would you call a reasonnable price ?
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

something around 300 or 400 EUR.
dunno if it is possible to build one for that price, but a luna is around 100 these days, an old pc board might be there as a remainder from the old days, and then the midi stuff...
--
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Ok let's imagine a bit:
1) 1 LUNA or Pulsar I for the DSP power: could achieve 1 voice + additionnal effects or 2 and maybe 3 voices polyphony
Roughly 100 €
2) 1 old PC board (or something extracted from a thin client) + one old Win98 SE or so with a compact flash based hardisk (1 GB)
Roughly 100 € more
- 1 MIDI controller : a C4T would request roughly 31 pot/fader + 2 or 3 handfull of switches
=> doepfer USB64 cost 145€ + pot and cap ....
=> doepfer pocket electronic would cost 75 € + pot & cap but limited to 16 pot
=> a used BCR2000 can be found for less than 100 € but then you have to forget the Vintage look
=> cheaper solution could be OK like the announced highlyliquid MIDI CPU board (24 in, price under 45 $ + shipping cost) but not available yet
=> liquid instrument MidiDIY could also provide a good basis ... when available
=> The Pot32 could be OK by providing 32 MIDI pot
... all those would need a MIDI merge
- 1 MIDI keyboard (if providing some of the required controller, could be a solution to save on some controllers ...
- the front panel + wood housing

So hard to achieve for less than 300 € but maybe possible under 500
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

sounds like you want a plugiator instead of an ASB. :)

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

I have got one but there is no C4T available on it. :D

The idea was more to find a way to provide a second life for old scope board in these XITEing time.
... and to find something to do with old PC

By the way, the Plugiator has no keyboard (except if you get the ASX version and install it in a midi keyboard from CME, Icon or ESI).

And finally the control surface is still missing.

But it was just an idea ...
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Nevertheless a good idea to re-use the older inventory.

Greg
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

it's hard to find a real Cat nowadays, and they go for real prices...
there's one on ebay right now, perfect condition. it seems, but 2400 USD. can't remember seeing one below 1000 EUR.

seems I have to stick with the scope version (which isn't too bad, not that I come to think of it again... ;) )
--
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

HUROLURA wrote:Ok let's imagine a bit:
1) 1 LUNA or Pulsar I for the DSP power: could achieve 1 voice + additionnal effects or 2 and maybe 3 voices polyphony
Roughly 100 €
2) 1 old PC board (or something extracted from a thin client) + one old Win98 SE or so with a compact flash based hardisk (1 GB)
Roughly 100 € more
- 1 MIDI controller : a C4T would request roughly 31 pot/fader + 2 or 3 handfull of switches
=> doepfer USB64 cost 145€ + pot and cap ....
=> doepfer pocket electronic would cost 75 € + pot & cap but limited to 16 pot
=> a used BCR2000 can be found for less than 100 € but then you have to forget the Vintage look
=> cheaper solution could be OK like the announced highlyliquid MIDI CPU board (24 in, price under 45 $ + shipping cost) but not available yet
=> liquid instrument MidiDIY could also provide a good basis ... when available
=> The Pot32 could be OK by providing 32 MIDI pot
... all those would need a MIDI merge
- 1 MIDI keyboard (if providing some of the required controller, could be a solution to save on some controllers ...
- the front panel + wood housing

So hard to achieve for less than 300 € but maybe possible under 500
I got this project slightly step forward: for the MIDI controller stuff I would advice something based on the CORE32 board from the MIDIBOX forum DIY community: one can get this board with the necessary expansion board for $ 150 / 100 €.

I also grabbed an Arturia Analog factory experience keyboard for that purpose or for something else ...