Surfface

A place for developers to share ideas and assist each other in solving problems.

Moderators: valis, garyb

winger

Surfface

Post by winger »

Just wondering if there is a way with the sdk to create a device that works like the 2448 mixer where when you select a channel the display reflects the setting of a different channel. How is this done, or can't it be done with the sdk alone?

Mark
mark winger
Shroomz~>

Re: Surfface

Post by Shroomz~> »

Can explain in more detail exactly what you're trying to do?
winger

Post by winger »

I am working on a mixer type of device. I would like to have a view of information the way the 2448 mixer does. You see the compressor, eq graph and auxes for one channel at a time in the master section, but the channel display has limited controls. If you select a different channel, that master display changes to show the controls of the channel.

In other words, I want to have controls on a single display that change based on selecting the channel from another display. Can something like this be done with the sdk?

Another option would be a way to clck a button on a channel to change the size of it, and hide or show different elements. (the drawer concept I have seen on some like the sonic timeworks devices to is another way.

Can any of these things be done with the sdk?

The documentation for the sdk is pretty clear on how to create a circuit, but is pretty thin in the surface manipulation area.

Mark
mark winger
sharc

Post by sharc »

Yes it's possible to do all of the things you've mentioned with the SDK.

If you start off with a surface group and place all of the surface elements (controls, text, etc.) inside the surface group (in the project explorer) you'll then be able to use the surface group 'show' pad to show/hide the group. Then if you create more pages or in the case of your mixer example you might want to just copy and paste duplicates of the surface group for one channel, you can switch between them by creating a simple logic circuit - I usually use radio buttons and 'if' modules. Hope this helps :)
winger

Post by winger »

interesting. I am not familiar with what you mean by surface group. Are there any examples of this in any of the modules supplied with the sdk, or do you have any very simple examples of how this is done you would be willing to share?
mark winger
sharc

Post by sharc »

Check in the Surface Design\Surface Kit folder.

I can't think of any example SDK modules, but I'll knock something together for you.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

if you don't mind I'd like to take a look at those examples, too, sharc.
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Try this one...
Surface_Groups_Example.zip
A simple paged panel
(87.2 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
winger

Post by winger »

Thanks, I am out of town for a few days and so won't be able to look at it until early next week.
mark winger
sharc

Post by sharc »

Most of the SDK modules use Surface Groups to group controls together. In the Project Explorer they've been renamed to Controls Group. One of the difficulties with using Surface Groups is that when you drop an empty group into your project, you can't see it. I usually take a note of where I've dropped the group (on one of the background scope logos) then switch to edit mode and resize and position the group. I've made the following module - The GO type has been switched to a dynamic bitmap - which might be easier to use for some.
SurfaceGroup2.zip
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 159 times