CAN CONTROL v1.0 - crossfeed EQ headphone monitoring aid

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

CAN CONTROL v1.0 - crossfeed EQ headphone monitoring aid

Post by Shroomz~> »

CAN CONTROL v1.0 - Crossfeed EQ headphone monitoring aid

Thanks to all the beta testers for your time & for the high level of feedback. The only significant change since the last beta release is the addition of separate L & R input mutes for setting up the device. These mutes are not included in presets because they don't need to be.

Please feel free to share your presets here since I've opted to release it without any, but be aware that when using someone's preset, you may well have to tweak the device to your own preference even if using the same monitor speakers & cans/phones as they are. That shouldn't be an issue though, as you'll need to set the device up for yourself anyway whether starting from a preset or not.

Cheers,
~Mark
CAN_CONTROLv1_0.zip
(846.57 KiB) Downloaded 1934 times
CAN_CONTROL_80%.jpg
CAN_CONTROL_80%.jpg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 11739 times

Quick Start Guide :-

- Connect CAN CONTROL in line before your headphone monitoring output.

- Turn the CAN CONTROL master volume level down low.

- Play some music. Pink Floyd's 'Dark side of the moon' is a good example of music that benefits from crossfeed, but there are many others (most infact).

- Turn the master volume back up to a listening level that you're happy with.

- Mute the left (L) or right (R) hand side with the mute buttons at the top corners of the green window so that you're only listening to one side.

- Switch on & off the crossfeed with the round black button labeled 'X' or by clicking the x-feed on/off switches in the green window.

- Play with the 'High Loss F' (frequency) and 'High Loss G' (gain) & 'Delay' parameters to adjust to your own head for a sound coming at an angle in front which sounds as close as possible to what you hear from your monitor speaker on that side instead of inside your head like you would normally hear on your headphones (especially closed back types). You won't hear any difference with a mono record, but for sounds recorded only on one channel & in between, you should get a significant effect that gives a sense of some extra space.

- Adjust the crossfeed gain (X Gain) and left/right gain (LR Gain) parameters if necessary.

- Switch the muted channel back on, so that you're now listening to both left and right hand sides.

- Adjust master EQ section parameters if necessary. You may find the need to cut bass frequencies between 250-500Hz by 1 to 2dB using the Low Shelf, but in some cases you may not! It's a balance of what you're monitoring & personal taste.

- Use your ears and some trial & error adjusting and listening to different types of music, saving yourself some presets with settings you're happy with as you go.

- If you wish to get technical in setting up CAN CONTROL you can follow some of the procedures above using sine waves or filtered pink noise, but you have to submit pictures to this thread of you wearing your lab coat.

That should be enough to get you started. When I have time I'll write something more in-depth if there's a demand.

~Mark
Last edited by Shroomz~> on Fri May 22, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MCCY

Re: CAN CONTROL v1.0 - crossfeed EQ headphone monitoring aid

Post by MCCY »

Great! Thanks! I will try it this weekend with a new song which has to be recorded. I'm curious about thisone!

Martin
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Shroomz.

A great idea and another device in a series of devices to inhabit my folders and screen.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Can you try it out on your XITE-1 for me? Only if you get time to of course! :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ladies & Gentlemen...........Shroomz......ankyu..
Yes it works flawlessley.
Preset Capable.....Yes.
Total MIDI CC use and recall........Indeed.

GUI..............................EXTREME...
Sound quality..................SUPREME...

I can load 173 of them before it asks for an optimization.... :lol: ....just kiddin'.
untitled.JPG
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I can load 173 of them before it asks for an optimization.... :lol: ....just kiddin'.
So one instance per headphone.. that's an awful lot of headphones you've got there :P
voidar

Post by voidar »

I understand what this device is for, but how would one go on about setting it up for your cans? Some tips?
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I've added a brief Quick Start Guide to the first post.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Yes it works flawlessley.
Excellent, thanks!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Awesome! Can't wait to try it. Thanks
voidar

Post by voidar »

Shroomz:

Thank you for that helpfull explanation, I'll be sure to try this out some time, allthough I am not too happy with my monitoring situation so I might try out some presets at first.

Anyone have some for Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Personally I don't understand why one guys preset would benefit another person using totally different phones... :-?

Shroomz explained it well.
Trying to match up the sound of my IEM's which are stereo 3 way, or my 2.1 Blue Skys isn't very effective due to the physicallity of the design.
But I was very successful using CanCon to match up my stereo headphones to my Barbetta Sona 31C mid field stage monitors.
That is where this device shines.
I can mix on phones and then listen to my stage cabinets and don't need to tweak a thing.
I can't wait to hear the mix on a large stage.
I always had problems mixing on phones at home and then having the sound at the gig be totally different.
I would add a Channel strip to a pre-ADAT Destination Module as a quick fix.
Hopefully I can bypass the additional time at gigs by having these match up better.

Ankyu....... :wink:
voidar

Post by voidar »

Well, it can be usefull as a point of reference. Someone else might have a better monitoring situation than me :). Though there is always the issue of individual hearing.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Presets just don't make any sense for this device, except on an individual level.
microraver

Post by microraver »

Hi,

Thx for all the work and the nice device !!

P.L.U.R
Cubase 5,Scope v5.1 XTC,2xScope Project+2x A16 Ultra+PoCo 6000(CL1B+Virus)+UAD2-QUAD(Comp,Rev,EQ)+plugiator Full.Mackie Control+Ext.ASUS P5WDH,CPU Q6600@3GHZ,6GB RAM,2xPCIe Graphics,4 Display's.Win 7 32 & 64bit.
http://soundcloud.com/dominium
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

After further thought on the subject of presets, the only way presets would work...is if we had the same monitors, headphones...and eardrums! :lol: all and all...it was a ton of work, and I do appreciate the device! Thank you..it's pretty damn cool!
Shroomz~> wrote:Presets just don't make any sense for this device, except on an individual level.
Joel