Dual Mac Vs. Dual PIII or P4 ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

q8composer

Post by q8composer »

So topic says it all ..

if i was going to use a Pulsar and later add a Scope/SP with my Sequencer Logic Audio 5, which DAW Would you recomend ..

1- Dual 1ghz G4 Mac 1.5gig Ram
2- Dual Pentium III WinXP 1gig Ram
3- Pentium 4 1.7 or 2.0 1gig Ram
kimgr

Post by kimgr »

castol

Post by castol »

what have u used up till now? mac or pc?

dual proc machines (pc, and i think mac as well) have had problems with creamware cards and devices (may be resolved in v3.1).

i am a mac user, but i think considering the amount of power, features, and the lower price point (not a whole lot of difference once getting into high quality pc compenents), i would seriously consider a pc.

the new macs are terribly powerfull, don't get me wrong. they are missing some things like ddr ram, built-in raid, bus speeds over 133 mhz, to name a few things i've come across....

now, having said this....i am not in anyway interested in the latest or greatest. so i would just be loyal (i like apple as a company and have grown to really like the platform) and pick up a one or two generation behind the latest version g4 powermac.

which is exactly what i will do when i do upgrade to a newer machine from my aging but very reliable 7500 (i'll still keep it around i think...).

as i have seen others express, i to believe that comparing speeds between a high end pc and a high end mac is pretty...hmm, how to put it? inconsequential?

they both are powerhouses, and significantly different to make it a bit hard to judge between the two, fairly.

//c
garyb

Post by garyb »

#3 hands down.(or a g4 mac single)
q8composer

Post by q8composer »

Well ..

ive used a PIII never tried using Logic 5 on a P4 and i never used a MAC before .. but what i read and what i know is Mac's are more stable and more powerfull and to get a Dual Mac that means Audio can be passed in one chip while effects in the other .. tahts if i aint wrong :/

and most of u guys so far are saying to go with a P4 ? WOW ..

anyways thanx for the input guys .. and if theres more go ahead im still listing
garyb

Post by garyb »

well,there's that thing called experience.
kimgr

Post by kimgr »

Right U Are !
In my (VERY BROAD) experience Dual's sucks for Creamware, Logic and Protools.
And what else is there worthwhile in life ? :wink:

Kim.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I also have extensive experience with duals & audio and unless you're doing everything native with the latest versions of the software (and even then), you won't see a huge difference. The money you spend on duals, is, IMO better spent on more DSPs, more I/Os, or an outboard processor or keyboard.

Go P4 with Intel chipset.