The New P4 Northwood I'm about to buy. My complete specs. PL

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

Ok, the time has come for me to buy myself a crazy new PC system.

Here's what i'm buying hopfully in the next week or so!!! Please feel free to comment.

CPU - P4 Northwood 1.8
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-8IRXP (845D)
RAM - 512Mb Kingmax (PC 2700)
Hard Drive - 2 x 60GB Maxtor 7200rpm (ATA133)
Video card - GF4 MX 440 Leadtek
DVD Rom - LiteOn 16x48
CD Burner - LiteOn 24x10x40
Keyboard - Micosoft Internet pro
Mouse - Micosoft explorer V0.3
Floppy - Panasonic 1.44
Case - Enermax Case 710B
Power - 350W Enermax whisper (blue)
Cooling - Watercooling (cyclone 3, kit)from sivlerprop. (released any day now)

(NOTE: I already own a 22' Flat screen montior)

That's about it.

ALSO NOTE: I will be overclocking. I will be testing RAID. I know your going to try to tell me about PCI bandwidth issues. That's what I'll be testing for. I think this system will work best for me. I will hopefully be able to run some tests and see what I can do. I think this system will be very versatile and suit my needs.

Please any comments welcome.

Also note I will be running a Pulsar 2 and GIGASTUDIO on this machine.

Well, what do you think of my NEAR future PC?
Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

Sounds like a great system you're gonna have. I want to comment on raid though: When using only two disks you'll be able to do mirroring or striping (RAID 0, 1). From the OS-view it will be as if you have only one drive. On this drive you'll have an OS-partition and an Audio/data-partition. As those partitions will be residing on the same physical disks, there's a non-optimal situation. In your config I would go for 2 seperate drives, one for OS+swap, one for audio/data, on separate ATA-busses. That way the OS disk doesn't influence the data-disk.
Or: run your system on drive one, get one drive extra, and run data on a striped set of 2 disks. Then there is of course the bandwidth issue, but you're gonne test and inform us, right? I must say I'm curious.
Goodluck,

Rob

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rvberkel on 2002-03-25 01:46 ]</font>
WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

Yeah it maybe is not best to Raid. But I have to test it out for myself. Anyways I can always buy more HD's. Maybe I'll run a Raid array and then run some normal hard drives at the same time. Maybe after testing I won't even use Raid at all. But then again a Raid 0 would be pretty sweet. Anyways only time will tell. I guess I'm looking for what will work best for me. People can only recomment to a point, but I really have to test all these things for myself. Also then I can help others.

I'll keep you informed.
dguna

Post by dguna »

hows the raid going?....
WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

Well I had trouble getting 2 x 60g Maxtor liquid bearing drives. In fact It turns out I'd probally have to order from Japan. So at the moment I just got a single 60g seagate. So no I'm not running raid right now. I guess I'll just have to hunt around and see what I can get. Maybe i'll order some HD's from Japan, haven't decided. But anyone I got so much to learn with my new pulsar 2 soo... I'll keep you updated.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Why Gigabyte? Especially if you are overclocking the Abit and Asus board can lock the PCI bus to spec. you can get a better overclock and not worry about harming/crashing your creamware cards.

you can always get a RAID controller card, if you want to play with RAID, i think it is better anyways because you can choose which slot/IRQ it is using. the only advantage to having it on board is price and placement of cables being a bit nicer.

ATA133 is a gimmik anyways. the seagate barracuda V is quiet and fast! and readilly avaliable. (and has fluid bearings)

Heh, BTW the "whisper" power supply is not whisper quiet, thats just its name :smile: I have one.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: defex on 2002-04-12 10:12 ]</font>