OCTAMIX - Scope edition - 8 channel mixer - posted 19/09/08

Scope device files created using the Scope SDK

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shroomz~>

OCTAMIX - Scope edition - 8 channel mixer - posted 19/09/08

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hi all,

some of you might remember an 8-channel mixer I made for using within the Creamware modular called Octamix. Well this is the Scope edition for using standalone in the scope Routing Window.

OCTAMIX is a very simple 8 channel mixer which is very low on dsp usage (<1). It has many of the features that you would expect to find on a small traditional 8 channel analogue desk, although it does have a few features which are quite unique to Scope. It provides some of the features found on larger Scope mixers enabling some simple mixing facilities with low dsp cost.

Features:-

- 8 mono channels
- 2 mono inserts per channel
- Pre & post insert clip leds per channel
- 2 Aux sends per channel (pre/post switchable)
- 0-200 sample delay per channel
- Solo & mute buttons per channel
- Channel labelling
- 2 x stereo returns (each with 3 x stereo insert & VU)
- Main mix channel (with 3 x stereo insert & VU)
- Stereo input with gain control.
- Monitor output with gain control.
- Aux panel switchable between Int (2 x insert each) & external (ext).
- Meterbridge featuring post pan VUs for channels 1-8 & STin & Monitor VUs.
- Less than one DSP usage (not counting inserted effects).

I might update this at some point soon because it was made a while back, so let me know if you find any problems etc.

Hope you find it useful. :)

cheers,
Mark
Attachments
OCTAMIX_Scope_Edition.zip
8 channel mixer for Scope
(287.24 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times
pollux

Re: OCTAMIX - Scope edition - 8 channel mixer - posted 19/09/08

Post by pollux »

Sweet!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Very Nice Gift Shroomz.

The sample delay per channel is unique and very considerate.

Double clicking the fader for zero db is just plain classy too. It's a perfect shade of charcoal for XITE-1's Caspery colored background.

Nice size for project window also.

While SC gets their ducks in a row, you and other SDK guys make the wait less painful.

Thank You.

JimmyV.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Shroomz~> wrote:Hope you find it useful. :)
I think so. It's fader and pots configuration fits perfectly with my Bitstream 3X. Very handy indeed. Thanks muchly.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
Janni

Post by Janni »

THANK YOU!!!

I've been waiting long for this one!
Very nice device!
BTW: never found any bug in the modular version! :D
Sorry for never giving back positive feedback, shroomz!
Cheers,
Jan
-/-
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Nightscope, I really like the look of that Bitstream 3X. I take it that you'd recommend it?

Jan, this was made before the modular version, so although you didn't find any issues in the mod version doesn't mean that'll be the case with this one necessarily. Having said that, it was sent out to about 12 people many many months ago & nobody has got back to me reporting problems. I'd assume that a least a few of them have put it to use, so hopefully it's all ok. Let me know if you find any issues or problems though. :)

cheers,
Mark
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Shroomz~> wrote:Nightscope, I really like the look of that Bitstream 3X. I take it that you'd recommend it?
Hi Shroomzter,

I personally think it is a honkingly good bit of kit and works very well with Scope. It has too many sneaky stealth features to mention here. The real power of this thing lies with the Configuration software v1.5 that comes with it. If you want to take it for a test drive without actually buying it download the software. Install and when the software is opened it will want a 3X to connect to in order to function. In "preferences" page tick the "offline" box. Now you can play around with it and see it's features in action to some extent. It has 4 modes. Standard, Logic Control, Reason & User. User mode is the highly configurable one.

Software and manuals here http://www.waveidea.com/en/products/bit ... nloads.php

The faders, knobs and some other hardware controls can be assigned to do anything in User mode; cc's, long sysex, note, program change, etc. So, for example, although it would appear I've run out of faders for your mixer as the Octomix has 2 x Returns and a Master plus the 8 track faders, I could use the crossfader for the Master and, at a pinch, the ribbon for one Return and the x-y stick for the other. Though in reality I wouldn't bother with the returns and just use the keyboard method for them. The various Octamix windows could be opened with SHIFT + any of the 5 transport controls/ or footswitch/ or select button downpress/ or x-y stick downpress. An option when dealing with devices that don't fit on one 3X group is to have multiple groups to control just the one device. As a rule I have the footswitch assigned to select mono on the master in all my mixers as I'm constantly flipping from stereo to mono and back. The select button downpress is assigned to reset the dB's.

The flexibility of 3X with Scope is in it's ability to switch groups and midi channels very quickly. Also being able to write your own LCD labels strings for groups and individual controls which show on the 3X screen. Works great with the spacef mixers which have seperate midi channels for mixer and FX.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Thanks a lot for the insight into the 3X. We're using a Kenton Control Freak Studio & a BCR here atm, but I think one of these Bitstreams would be better than either of them. The Kenton & Behringer are very different controllers & have completely different plus & minus points, but the 3X seems like it might just combine most of the best things from both into a single unit with the addition of some xtra controls & features. I'll check out the software for sure.

cheers,
Mark
RecS

Post by RecS »

Thanks Shroomz!!!!
I dreamed about him from the moment of creation such for Modular
And it happened! :D :D :D

I wish success and new achievements always!!!!

Thanks! Thanks! Thanks! :)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Let's see what other Scope users think. :wink:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Just a heads up to let you all know that OCTAMIX & the 8 channel A/B switcher I posted in this thread are both XTC compatible according to feedback from the19thbear who is an avid XTC mode user. I don't use XTC, but this is relatively good news for any XTC users who only need a simple 8 channel mixer.

cheers,
Mark
pollux

Post by pollux »

Hi Mark,

Do you think it could be possible to adapt it to make it work with a Mackie Control (multiple MIDI channels and feedback for the controller surface) :D

Wolf's mixer works like a charm, but for small projects it's like taking a hammer to kill a fly, whereas this mixer fits perfectly.

Cheers!

Raul
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hi Raul,
It's possible of course, but I don't have a Mackie Control here which makes it very difficult for me.

regards
Mark