XITE and 3rd party software

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Fluxpod

Re: XITE and 3rd party software

Post by Fluxpod »

I just assume it gets sorted...i cant upgrade to v5 otherwise and that would piss me off bigtime.I cant live without flexor...its not even remotly possible!And i do not care if its available in the vst world.....The only thing i use in vst is reaktor and the korg legacy stuff...everything else is not interresting, for me atleast.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well it seems apparent to me that I must use the new version of Flexor as a VST. But Assaf mentioned it would still work on DSP systems, so I am a little confused. But I am not confused about it's aquisition. Where Flexor goes, I will follow.

It will be interesting to see how Modular and the new app. will work together. Perhaps Adern will use a unique way to add it's modules through a virtual CV input in Modular?

I know Assaf is a proud developer and admire his new direction. The fact that our License's still have worth is very considerate.

I know one thing is certain, polyphony in XITE-1 was questionable, in VST / AU it should be resource dependant.

Good Luck To All Involved.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Well it seems apparent to me that I must use the new version of Flexor as a VST. (...) I know Assaf is a proud developer and admire his new direction. The fact that our License's still have worth is very considerate.
(...)in VST / AU it should be resource dependant.
Yeah, but forget the overall sound quality... VST/native sounds like toys! :(
Flexor is a killer compared i.e. to Reaktor (a good VST comparation) only because it has a Shark DSP backgroud.
Well, if Assaf (a great developper 8) ) goes to native, I'm ok with my beloved Scope board system + Flexor III, as I said time ago: Scope is more like i.e. an hardware (Fairlight, Synclavier, etc.), so don't needs to be forced to upgrade if is not a REAL upgrade.
10x power is relative if I cannot continue with Flexor, third part devices, SDK, etc.

S|C, yes, Xite is very interesting: portable, insane powered, more compatible with actual standards, but beware to higher price speculation, stange third part developpers policy, etc. because Scope is still a good and cheap choice.
An please pay attention to old customers care ;)
This is not an accuse but just a consideration :)
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

but fear not!

the next version of flexor is in development and all our old users will be able to use it even without scope or xite, and it will be a MAJOR upgrade :>
(i cant say much more but stay tuned more info is soon to follow)

cheers!
Assaf
Diffrent thing if Adern will develop a proprietary DSP board!!! :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
dawman

Post by dawman »

That was a good example of Reaktor. I totally agree, as a friend of mine always gets excited and shows me a new synth he created, and while some are unique and digital, the analog emulated creations are weak in nature.

But I believe the extra power that comes w/ new quads and dual cores could be harnessed. I never liked any VSTi's until I heard FM7 to FM8's new quality, and a good little VSTi called Rapture allows analog performance features like seperate Oscillator glide amounts, and decent filters, with sweet sounding waveforms.

My first test with the new Adern product will be with his marvelous LP Butter. If it sucks, I'll use Adern stuff for controlling events more. Besides, JBowen and SpaceF's filters are all top shelf emulations, and can be used in mixers, effect insert slots and synths.

Better integration apsects might be a huge benefit too.

I can't imagine Solaris as a VSTi w/ a hardware interface though.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there won't be any "extra" power from new cpus. the sequencers themselves will eat it.....
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

erminardi wrote:
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Well it seems apparent to me that I must use the new version of Flexor as a VST. (...) I know Assaf is a proud developer and admire his new direction. The fact that our License's still have worth is very considerate.
(...)in VST / AU it should be resource dependant.
Yeah, but forget the overall sound quality... VST/native sounds like toys! :(

10x power is relative if I cannot continue with Flexor, third part devices, SDK, etc.
Agreed to a large Extent! I only hope XITE-1 increase in software Sophistication from Modular and SDK standpoint and not increase in limitations by loosing things like Flexor and still having no Limitation removal in regards to poliphony and keeping SDK hinderances. I'm not just looking for a typical plugin outlet with SCOPE but a true enviroment with no limitations in sounddesigning and developing (aswell as the great plugins and other things). I now own very few Native plugins, if i thought their quality was that great i'd still own many, but my ears won't allow that. There are a few Native's i like but considering the size of the platform it really has'nt accomplished much, and tho the Quality of those few plugins is great the SCOPE still has the Edge and SCOPE is the first my hands tend to reach for. But with Flexor as Native solution that will take a huge attraction from XITE-SCOPE when other consumers hear it's quality and look at it's capability, suddenly a dsp-Box/card with limitations won't look so good. It's true that Native cpu is more powerfull now but for my taste if it posses few quality plugins it's useless power, more of a ceremonial king rather then one of true authority. And if XITE-1 presents too many software limitations that prevent high sophistication in designs then it's power is not seen as that great either. The gloves have to be taken off and i hope Sonic Core is 'in it to win it'. If XITE-1 is at the price point of Kyma then it's capability should grow beyond. I will still buy XITE-1 and give S|C their deserved chance to take off the gloves and hit hard. Plus i really do want to use all my SCOPE plugins by many great third-party developers at 96khz, but the next time in my life i have $4000 what will convince me to get another XITE-1 and not buy Kyma or invest heavily in what will be a more improved Native Platform?
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:But I believe the extra power that comes w/ new quads and dual cores could be harnessed.
Well, multiple cores only go so far. The fact is that one instance of one Native synth can only run on one core. If you have one hundred cores but each of them are 1GHz, that doesn't get you too far with the latest plugins. :) IMO Intel needs to continue to ramp up clock speeds, not just add more cores.

This is in contrast to DSP plugins, where one synth can span multiple DSPs (assuming phase issues are taken care of).

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com