What XTDM i/o options would you like?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

bcslaam

What XTDM i/o options would you like?

Post by bcslaam »

I thought I may as well get definitive about this...

Im hoping for xtdm to have various 1U combo's in this order of release date.

1. ADAT i/o ideally 16 x8 but would be happy with 12 to give 96 i/o for this also to have word clock i/o. And for there to be none of the current issues of buggy sync that appears at times.

2. A mixture of spdif coaxial and optical,4x xlr AES EBU, 24x aes ebu dsub conector, digidesign multi i/o (like aurora) plus 2 or 4 more MIDI

3. MADI. I know I will be progressing into madi in the coming years. The concept is an obvious direction for future formats. 6 or 8x MADI i/o combined with 6 or 8x word clock outs and 1 in for high precision locking to external clocks and being a GOOD master. Perhaps a collaboration with Lavry or Antelope (...dreaming) and 2 or 4 more midi.

4. ethernet with future protocols. The best combo here would be
ethernet, midi and the new OM protocols, word clock, digidesign interface. I like the look of Fairlights new lcd key keyboard. There will probably be other brands coming out soon.

5. Finally, it would be great to be able to run at least 4 of these units on the xtdm bus simultaneously.

Of course no complaints for what is already coming. Its great times for the community and SC!

I'm already enjoying using a big touch screen dedicated to scope as well as my main monitor. I hope the graphics somehow can REALLY utilize the cards hardware and that this new hi tech midi replacement would phase in sooner.

Thanks
dawman

Post by dawman »

:o Dayamn !!

I think they will release the usual A16U Z-Link first, and expand on that idea after recuperating some capital from the XITE-1's manufacturing costs.

The AES / EBU connections on the Lynx Aurora are sweet. I would welcome that.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

I would also appreciated several AES/EBU Sub-D25 connections (preferably 192KHz singelwire) on the XITE-1 system.

Unfortunately I had to order several Lynx AES16e + LS-DAT for both my MAC and PC to get the connections.
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Really would like SPDIF in/out for connection of my HHb CDR-800 CD recorder. I connect the CDR-800 SPDIF out into one of the Sonic Core cards so that I can quickly and easily compare my mixes with CDs (the cards slave to the CDR-800) and then, when I do eventually get round to actually finishing something, I then record it to CD via the SPDIF in on the CDR-800. I already use all the ADAT connections. I think SPDIF in/out would be very useful, if not essential to many users on the Xite-1. Plus an extra 16 ADAT in/outs (making 32 with the 16 supplied as standard) are essential to me. This would make the Xite-1 an ideal mixer with the ability to load top quality fx and instruments with very flexible routing both internally and with my other PCs running VSTi plugins. VST plugins (including UAD and Powercore) and Sonic Core. Best of both worlds!! Can't wait!! :)
Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit »

Yes for the future ethernet would be a smart move allowing OSC so we can actually control all this power
ErichG

Has SonicCore ever said anything at all about OSC?

Post by ErichG »

Mr-Bit wrote:Yes for the future ethernet would be a smart move allowing OSC so we can actually control all this power
Sorry to pile on here.. but seriously - the OSC thing is almost as important to me as more I/O from a live application perspective..

I've tried to look - but I don't find any comments about OSC from SC - do they know how important it is to have a modern control interface in such a giant box?

It hadn't really occurred to me that we'd need ethernet on the box itself for that, though.. it's not like the thing would ever run in pure standalone anyway... aren't we satisfied having ethernet on our yummy MacBook Pros? ;-)

As an aside - I'm perfectly happy to wait a bit now that I see they're adding Z-Link, so that my A16 will continue to be useful as line I/O... seems to me this is a great compromise as a first cut... mind you.. I don't want to wait TOO long, lol...

-E
Silenzio

Post by Silenzio »

Hi
In my opinion new Soniccore hardware should have AT LEAST 16 digital I/O @96. I mean 4x ADAT in+ out or even better 2 x ADAT in/out + 8 AES/EBU ch. via DB25 connector. Z-link is not important for me. It is not a standard protocol and A16 sounds much worse than Aurora or Rosetta (I owned A16 and sold them for Apogee stuff)
If you're working in 5.1 you need at least 10 outs (6 for CR speakers+2 for CR stereo set/headphones + 2 for studio/artist headphones). Next I'll need few more (min. 8 ) I/Os for outboard stuff.
So I'd be happy with 24 digital I/Os @96, but if someone wants analog summing/mixing should have no less than 36 I/Os.

Next VERY important thing is good surround reverb and set of mono to 5.1 compatibile tools (eq, dynamics, good LIMITER, etc...)

It would be very nice to automated mixer interally inside scope (MIDI automation from the sequencer is AWFUL and it has ONLY 127 steps) The solution could be "automation module" connected to a mixer and e.g. ASIO or MIDI port. The module can read timecode from the sequencer. It could work as a sleve or master (if you want to work your seq. as a slave).

Even better solution could be a VST/AU (VSTi?) plugin which could control SC mixer (incl. inserts) just from your seq (a bit like Virus TI, some Lexicon stuff or hi-end element 7/8 (summit audio) processors). BUT automation data is stored INSIDE scope project file

I WANT to have UNDO/REDO functions

I'd like to have AKAI 5/6k sounding like sampler with kontakt like features.

I'll hope XITE will be not so "computer sensitive". When in the future I 'll buy my new super 4 processors/32 core PC, I dont want to read on the forum: "XITE works only with Pentium quads built in 4 years old techology/ Besides you don't need so powerhorse PC, 'cos yo have XITE"

I hope XITE drivers will be updated min. 2 times a year , not 1 time for 6-7 years. Till now I CAN'T update to Nuendo 4 thanx soniccore-N4 incompatibility!!!

At last I'd like have all 4.0/4.5 bugs fixed!

Regards
dawman

Post by dawman »

I love your list mate.

Right up my alley of needs and wishes.

I will use what they offer, but I am quite confident they wish to continue upgrading. Seems like the old team that was actually run by a dictator, is no longer around.

We are blessed w/ the good / loyal " Body Of Ralf ", and all of the original " Brains " of the Scope Platform Birth.

Similar to the Rolls Royce scenario, Rolls had the finance, but Royce was the brains. :wink:

Frank had the greens, but ..........................................the rest is inconsequential.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Silenzio wrote:AES/EBU ch. via DB25 connector. Z-link is not important for me. It is not a standard protocol.
I'll have to agree with this one.
Silenzio wrote:Next VERY important thing is good surround reverb
This is doable. There will be a surround reverb in Scope 5 (and therefor XITE) - I dont have any information about quality, but I think it's based on the current Masterverb

Cheers
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

stardust wrote:Yes Z link is proprietary but it is the interface that links the A16 (and the Luna box) to xite.
Therefore.....
Im aware of this. But why use additional cost or space for a z-link interface, when the A16 also have an ADAT interface? I would have appreciated AES/EBU interfaces instead, since all other highend hardware have AES/EBU interfaces. Most new customers who are interested in the XITE have other converters than A16, like RME, Lynx, Apogee etc.

Since I have System 6000, Lexicon etc. I'll have to have several PCIe interfaces in my MAC and PC - I will invest in several Lynx AES16e + ADAT so I have the possibility to use my System 6000 in the Scope environment - with the current specs, Im unable to connect my System 6000 to the XITE. I'll have to connect the AES16e ADAT with the XITE ADAT and all other devices will be connected via AES/EBU (AES16e). This means that all my audio will be routed through the Lynx system before entering the Scope environment - I will have several latency issues with that setup.

I'll have to do the above, since I love Scope, but it would absolutely be a NO GO otherwise and so would it be for many others who have several AES/EBU devices.

Cheers
Last edited by Warp69 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Oh crap !!

I can't use my PCM's until then.........%(%)**$

What's a good low cost solution for me to get the AES / EBU I/O's at least working Martin?

I really do not wish to spring for a Lynx Aurora, although they are a great solution if I had several units.

But I will be using at least 2 units that I am aware of.

The Bricasti M7 is going to be used also, but I need to look into this further now.

For live work, I could get a few Alesis Q20's, or TC's as they have ADAT I/O's. :cry:
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:What's a good low cost solution for me to get the AES / EBU I/O's at least working Martin?

I really do not wish to spring for a Lynx Aurora, although they are a great solution if I had several units.
First of all - Im talking about Lynx AES16e with the LS-ADAT - this is a single PCIe card which will give you 16 channels of AES/EBU and 16 channels of ADAT - http://lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=16

Regarding your question - It depends :)

All of my converters and FX boxes support AES/EBU and Im therefore interested in as many AES/EBU channels as possible. For me there's two different solutions :

Lynx AES16e + LS-ADAT - http://lynxstudio.com/product_detail.asp?i=16
RME HDSPe AES + RayDAT - http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_hdspe_aes.php

The above solutions are for several AES/EBU interfaces (including converters) - if you have 2 AES devices (or your converters only support ADAT), I would probably go for RME HDSPe AIO or RME HDSP RayDAT - both cards have a single AES/EBU and S/PDIF interface.

Remember that you'll have to connect your Lynx or RME card to the XITE via ADAT and you therefore loose some channels.

The Lynx AES16e + LS-ADAT is the best solution in my situation, but you'll have to remember that you have to get special AES cables or make them yourself, because of the high density on the AES16e.

Cheers
dawman

Post by dawman »

I used the Lynx Analog I/O years ago before I ever bought a Scope card. They were perfect for a live Gigasampler soundcard then.

I hate the idea of having to buy a soundcard that only carries signals and converts them w/o offering any effects or synths. I guess Creamware has spoiled some of us. :wink:

Tascam Gigapulse sounds fine as a convolution reverb, and I am quite sure I will like your 100 series of DSP reverbs.

However I must have the Bricasti M7 for production work this Winter, and I must buy a 900 USD card just to use it.

Sadly, the Lexicons must be sacrificed, as the reverb effects I need must be capable of Foley work, where realism, not " Lushness " is required.

I never thought I would sell a PCM81 / PCM91 just to have the AES / EBU connections to use the M7. :cry:

Thanks 4 The Clarifications Martin.

Fortsat God Dag. :wink:
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:However I must have the Bricasti M7 for production work this Winter, and I must buy a 900 USD card just to use it.

Sadly, the Lexicons must be sacrificed, as the reverb effects I need must be capable of Foley work, where realism, not " Lushness " is required.

I never thought I would sell a PCM81 / PCM91 just to have the AES / EBU connections to use the M7.
You wont regret it. Oh - and its quite easy to get a lush sound from the M7.

I'll have to buy two 900 USD cards, otherwise Im unable to use my gear.
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Fortsat God Dag. :wink:
OMG. Same to you.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

fantastisk med folk der taler dansk!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Et Sprog Er Aldrig Nok !! :D

BTW Martin your word alone has sold me. I told Casey I would go to Gardnerville, NV. where the distributor lives. I can feel and touch the mighty M7. :D

Anyone who owns as many hardware reverbs as you do, and claims to have spent his childhood years hanging out in sewers trying to re create spaces heard, is someone I consider quite knowledgable.

Thanks for one of the best tips in years on hardware purchasing.

Den Fede Narrøv. :lol:
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

Warp69 wrote:
Silenzio wrote:AES/EBU ch. via DB25 connector. Z-link is not important for me. It is not a standard protocol.
I'll have to agree with this one.
Silenzio wrote:Next VERY important thing is good surround reverb
This is doable. There will be a surround reverb in Scope 5 (and therefor XITE) - I dont have any information about quality, but I think it's based on the current Masterverb

Cheers
Hi warp,

I was told on messe that the new surround reverb is not based on masterverb ( a new development), that it sounds better and can be easily used as stereo reverb also, by just connecting the two front outs....

I couldn`t demo it, but lets trust Ralf ... and see when it comes. :)

as a reverb slut, this will be one of the first things I will check out on v5. :D
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

hifiboom wrote:I was told on messe that the new surround reverb is not based on masterverb ( a new development), that it sounds better and can be easily used as stereo reverb also, by just connecting the two front outs....
Well - let us test it when Scope 5 is released. But it looks like it's based on the Masterverb - very much indeed.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:BTW Martin your word alone has sold me. I told Casey I would go to Gardnerville, NV. where the distributor lives. I can feel and touch the mighty M7.
Casey is working on several updates for the M7 - really looking forward to it.

Anyone found some additional information about the XITE, like pictures of redesigned case?
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

:o noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...No info, no picture. Damn, I now fully understand the name of this new product :wink: ....