PCI-E connection usage and no PCI bandwidth dependency.....

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

hesnotthemessiah

PCI-E connection usage and no PCI bandwidth dependency.....

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

Am I right in thinking that the Xite-1's PCI-E connection is purely used to control the Xite-1? I am really wondering what processing the computer will have to do and when will the PCI-E buss be used by Xite-1? One of the great advantages of the Xite-1 will be, as far as I can tell, not only it's vastly increased DSP power but it's lack of dependecy on the computer's PCI bandwidth. I really want to take advantage of great synths like COS and VOID and great reverbs/fx like the P100 and CD100 which seem to be held back by the lack of PCI bandwidth. I don't have a PC with PCI-E slots but am thinking about buying a cheapy PCI-E slot PC - under £100 on eBay - which I can use just to control the Xite-1.

And I was gonna pay off my credit card this month aswell.............. :wink:
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Re: PCI-E connection usage and no PCI bandwidth dependency..

Post by kylie »

hesnotthemessiah wrote:Am I right in thinking that the Xite-1's PCI-E connection is purely used to control the Xite-1? I am really wondering what processing the computer will have to do and when will the PCI-E buss be used by Xite-1?
well, it's an audio interface, and you have to send all your asio ins and outs to and from your host. where would you send that along, if not pci(e)?
and even if you used it as a dsp processor for your daw only (The Usage Type Formerly Known As XTC, or TUTFAX for short), every audio stream being processed by the sharcs has to go that way...

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
hesnotthemessiah

Post by hesnotthemessiah »

DOH!! :o Cheers for that markus. I was thinking if I had a PC with Xite-1 connected via PCI-E I would still need a soundcard in that PC to route audio from the PC to the Xite-1! And I thought all the Xite-1 would be doing via the PCI-E connection would be transmitting/receiving data to control and view the Xite-1. But, of course, the Xite-1 IS a soundcard so audio from the PC is sent via ASIO to the PCI-E card into the Xite-1. So, no need for any other soundcards in the PC and no need to use any of the Xite-1 unit's ADAT connections to connect it to the PC. Which means more free PCI slots in my PC and more free audio inputs in the Xite-1! Obvious now that I have got my head round it! :P
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

yeah, the more you think about it, the more XITE'ing it becomes... :wink:

they could have put the dsps and stuff onto a pci-e card and make the I/O accessible via a breakout box. instead they decided to extend the pci-e slot with a cable...
once you visualized that concept it's all obvious... :D

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

yeah, the more you think about it, the more XITE'ing it becomes...
Let's think about it again and again .... I am so Xited .... please Soniccore come on ! :o :lol: