translator to STS5000 from Kontakt

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

Post by spacef »

oh and...
the Kontakt 3 import-conversion of Ensoniq files does a much better job than chicken sys ever did (chycken sys was supporting the EPS/ASR samplers line a lot before coming back on the front scene with translator, which i actually never tried as I still use CD Xtract. (the chickens used to distribute a tool made by someone else (giebler or something) that actually messed up all loop start/end parameters and could not read EPS/ASR floppies from a pc. I beleive that it is this algo which is in translator (but never tried, so i can be wrong - the kontakt 3 convertor doesn't read floppies neither but ensoniq cds only).
I do not have Kontakt 3 though (demo expired), so i can't tell you if the export-conversion work well with Akai/STS (but akai is like THE basic format so...).
Good luck
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have ckicken sys and it sucks giant butt crack.

Extreme Sample Converter should do the trick.

The jerk off @ chicken sys is the rudest person I ever spoke w/ for customer support anywhere.

I bought his jive product over a year and a half ago for downloading, and just last week recieved my hard copy of it. :lol:

As if I wanted to use his worthless product. Geibler software for my old Roland MC500-MKII was a great SMF converter BTW. They made good stuff for that, but whoever Chicken Shit got their stuff from should be flogged publicly,...hence my shameless plug 4 them.

ESC has done many Akai / EMU tranfers to Giga 4 me w/ no problemos.

Please let me know what you get and if it works well.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

lagoausente wrote:Does the library come with a Vst instrument or stand-alone program that allow you to play the library or not?
If comes with it´s own sofware then, probably is .nki file that is copy protected and cannot be converted, only played with that app that comes with,
if comes only the library without any app, it could be converted.
The library was optimized for Kontakt, but is an open library otherwise if I can convert it - which I have.

The problem now, I believe, is that there is a memory 'ceiling' in STS that restricts loading large libraries.

That, and the keymap didn't convert properly, but I'm still testing translations - such as converting to Akai instead of directly to STS - but that's VERY time consuming.

STS needs to be UPDATED (PLEASE) for the next Scope release! Otherwise, it's just another antiquated module that I spent money on (YEARS ago) for no reason.

Greg
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

Yes I think there is a VERY LOW memory limit on the STS5000 so it is useless for big presets - its old - outdated and needs upgrading. I'm sure it will be sorted for v5.0 ? :roll:
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

strav100 wrote:Yes I think there is a VERY LOW memory limit on the STS5000 so it is useless for big presets - its old - outdated and needs upgrading. I'm sure it will be sorted for v5.0 ? :roll:
Yeah, it's a bummer. I might as well sell the STS5000, because otherwise I don't use it.

I'm contemplating ordering Kontakt3 just to play these samples, and then use the converter to copy samples into Kontakt. I have Independence and Sampletank - both of which came with Samplitude - but Sampletank is a little 'toyish' to me, and Independence is pretty good sounding, but I don't like how bloated it gets running with Samplitude.

I'm ONLY getting sample libraries that have libraries of instruments that I wouldn't otherwise find in my guitar synths (strings, etc.) - so if STS doesn't cut it, it's no loss to me.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

I an update is no just what is needed, maybe a new complete diferent sampler, capable of reading other formats, and read from hard disk as do Gigastudio, Halion etc. This ones load in to RAM the first part of each sample, and only when is needed (you don´t release the key), than goes for reading from the hard disk the remaining part of the sample that is required.
For now, I think it´s so uncofortable traslating the libraries than the own memory limit. In that big library, you´ll use only a part of them, so the best solution is to understand the library and extract what you really need in diferent STS programs.
If you don´t understand ok the library estructure, try Halion, and ESC to convert from nki to Halion, save new smaller halion programs, and then reconvert it to STS.
Big actual libraries have much more layers most times not needed. the problem is not to use a 700 mb STS program, the problem is the work of extract what you really need from the big nki ones.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

lagoausente wrote:I an update is no just what is needed, maybe a new complete diferent sampler, capable of reading other formats, and read from hard disk as do Gigastudio, Halion etc. This ones load in to RAM the first part of each sample, and only when is needed (you don´t release the key), than goes for reading from the hard disk the remaining part of the sample that is required.
For now, I think it´s so uncofortable traslating the libraries than the own memory limit. In that big library, you´ll use only a part of them, so the best solution is to understand the library and extract what you really need in diferent STS programs.
If you don´t understand ok the library estructure, try Halion, and ESC to convert from nki to Halion, save new smaller halion programs, and then reconvert it to STS.
Big actual libraries have much more layers most times not needed. the problem is not to use a 700 mb STS program, the problem is the work of extract what you really need from the big nki ones.
Yeah, thanks. I think I'm just going to go for Kontakt3 for now, and maybe just sell the STS (if anyone is interested, just PM me).

Greg
sonicstrav

Post by sonicstrav »

YOu can pick up EMU EMulator X2 for peanuts at Digital Village UK - only £75 and it comes with a midi interface - which I'm going to use to plug in the Akai EWI I just bought