P4 mobo? Gigabyte GA-8IRXP or Abit BD7 Raid

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

Which one do you recommend.

Both motherboards are based on the P4 845 DDR chipset. (recommended by Subhuman)

Both have ATA133 RAID, Which I will be using for a HD RAID array.

GA-8IRXP has USB 2.0, Abit BD7 doesn't. (Not that I think I'll need it)

GA-8IRXP has 3 DIMM slots compared to 2 from Abit BD7.

Abit BD7 I think has better overclocking functions. (don't quote me on that)... But I will be overclocking. Anyone had any problems overclocking their DAW? Is a Pulsar 2 overclocker happy?

Can anyone recommend either of these motherboards. Anyone using these motherboards in there systems right now?

Or can anyone suggest another P4 845 DDR mobo that has RAID onboard.

Thanks
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

ATA 133 RAID is using a seperate chip on the PCI bus instead of the intel ICH2 ATA controller. this means that your PCI bus Would be saturated (if a drive could actually use 133) anyways it will limit your PCI bandwith to almost nothing when the drives are running.

would you rather have? a really really fast drive with half the reliability, and every time you use it you get a PCI overflow. (RAID 0)

a mirrored drive which is twice as reliable, runs at the same speed as a regular drive, but still gives PCI overflow.(RAID 1)

2 drives that you can copy anything you like back and forth from even while playing your maximum abount of tracks/reverbs. (intel ICH2 ATA controller)

you have to back up manually. or set it up to back up certain folders to the other drive via a mirroring progtam.

Just get a couple nice QUIET fast drive like the Seagate barracuda V and you will be fine.

then you can get a reliable Asus board. :smile:
WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

Defex

So what your saying is that a RAID array uses PCI bandwidth and I'm better of not using RAID 0. I'm not sure I aggree with you. I thought that running a HD RAID array is the way to go. Someone else please help casue I'm getting confused now. Or Defex can you back up your claim! Subhuman + most computer freaks I know recommend running RAID.

Defex is what your saying I should use one 7200RPM hard drive for audio.? Next you'll tell me to pay $$$$ for overpriced SCSI.

Please anyone else what to comment.
RAID is the anwser, right?

Anyways, which mobo should I buy?
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I never saw Subhuman recomend RAID (maybe I did not look :smile: ). Also Sub has posted a picture, where he runs 50+ audiotracks at once with one IDE100 hard drive doing both OS and audio. How much power do you need? And SCSI will eat PCI too.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
at0m

Post by at0m »

RAID is not recommended on Creamware systems.

Creamware systems need actually lots of PCI bandwidth, sustained. So all interference might cause trouble: USB, SCSI, LAN, RAID, video... It's not really the sustained data transfer of those devices that causes problems, but these devices create fast peaks which are deadly for Pulsar. (do a search on pci overflow;)

Some users do succesfuly use all of these 'interruptors of pci bus', mostly because, like it is on my mobo, USB sits on a different PCI bus. So do IDE drivers. They do not interfere with your Pulsar's PCI bus. PLay safe. Or search for someone who can confirm that what you wanna do will actually work. I bet no one here would put money on that. I'm sorry.

at0m.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
WayneSim

Post by WayneSim »

yeah, sorry. Subhuman doesn't recommend RAID I just read. My mistake.

Man, it seems Creamware cards have TOO many issuses. They like is and hate that and it's all about PCI bandwidth. Creamware research has already delayed my new PC system far too long I was ment to get before Christmas. Now I keep getting all confused. Now it's not "recommend" to get RAID or RAID SCSI".

What next? Soon you'll be all using the new 0.13 micron AMD CPU's.

Sorry to sound pissed off. But I am. Whenever I'm about to buy something it's NOT recommended for CW. CW should build there own computer because computer companys ARE NOT building systems for CW cards.

I might as well wait for a 64bit Audio card insead of buying a current 32bit CW card. (LOL) Now i'm losing my head.

Maybe tommorrow I'll list the PC parts i'm looking to buy so you all can tell me what I should get instead of what i'm buying.

(I just had to get that out all of my head, I think I feel better... but I'm no further in my perfect PC quest.)
at0m

Post by at0m »

I'm about to buy a new pc. Next time I saved the money.

Here's what I go for.
-Asus P4B266 without onboard audio, but with, if possible but apparently rare, onboard LAN.
-P4 1.6 or something Northwood
-Barracuda VI 80GB
-Keeping my Matrox G450me dualhead AGP4 for now, if I were to buy a new one I'd get one of their later models :wink:
-keeping cdroms
-keeping 2Pulsar1 and 1 Pulsar2 :grin:

That setup can be easily confirmed by many users as being very reliable. Some of them do heavy stuff, DSP and CPU wise.

Do not look at creamware's cards as an ordinary soundcard, you have to kind of build your computer around it. Do not forget the price of your DSP compared to your pc's cost.

To me, Pulsar is an extremely flexible studio in a box, and it needs a box that fits. Instead of changing the studio because you don't like the building.

And if you buy a 3DSP card, I don't think many problems will arise. They could not load the PCI bus as a 14 DSP setup would.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

That's just about exactly what I'm getting on Monday :smile: :smile: :smile: