ECS Mobo's with AMD Athlon 1800+

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

B3n

Post by B3n »

I'm building a pc and well aware of the VIA issue, I got some people to give me advice on which motherboard to get. The general view was to get an ECS k7s5a or k7s6a...this was as they use the SiS chip and not a chipset and are more basic and cause less conflicts.
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Luna II and have been reading a lot of the posts on this board, but does anyone have any advice on my setup specifically? Its also hard looking at past posts since technology changes so fast I don't know whether something still 'the best' etc.

Cheers,

Ben
madsun

Post by madsun »

yes,
i'm in the same freak-trouble,
ecs, yes, or msi 745 ultra . this mobo use the same 745 sis chip. serched for hours all around the web to see some benchmark about the msi 745 ultra and.. nothing. must say that the msi is really new, maybe not yet well distribute. somebody knows something about this board and creamware?
and ecs, is that manifacturer relyable as msi? and somebody used ecs with sis board with creamware, or somebody knows links with benchmarks? ah, the world is full of questio when you have to buy a daw...
cheese to everybody
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Try the chipset test thread.
I have had the k7s5a. But I sold it. It didn't work perfectly with my Pulsar1. Now I own a tusl2-c with a 1000@1333 Celatin. The OC is with the boxed cooler, and the CPU has never gone above 46degrees celsius (exept teh time, I tried to run it without the fan (not OCed). It reached 78, and it slowed down, but it survived.

I think, if you only want a Luna, and you want to rely mostly on native, it might be ok, but to me, it was bad enough to make me sell and buy new (even on a lot budget). Somebody else has had better experience with k7s5a and a newer (than mine) CW card.

Immanuel
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
madsun

Post by madsun »

SEE FOR PROBLEMS REPORTED ON ECS the addresshttp://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?threadid=737094&catid=29

madsun
B3n

Post by B3n »

But there also seem to be a lot of happy people too!

Hey, I'd like you to keep me informed on which path you take, I'm mighty interested =)
B3n

Post by B3n »

And I've narrowed it down to these..

MSI K7NPRO
ECS k7s5a
ECS k7s6a
msi 745 ultra
madsun

Post by madsun »

hello,
did you found something (benchmarks, DISTRIBUTORS--) about msi 745 ultra?
you can also personnaly email me
mads
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I have the MSI K7N420 in my lab right now. Been there for a few weeks actually. Installed in ACPI/WinXP mode, I can get 1 reverb with PCI overflow on the rest. I haven't felt like reinstalling XP & Pulsar on it just for testing (all my Intel systems give identical PCI performance under XP either ACPI/Standard BTW), so I can't say I'd suggest it. But one other person said they put 3 Luna2s in and were fine. Of the 3 or 4 reports on nForce there has only been one person who had it working. I might try reinstalling XP/Pulsar under Standard mode and retesting.

I do know the AMD761 chipset can be made to work - quite a bit more tweaking than an Intel chipset - but still the only AMD chipset I would feel comfortable recommending. And I actually don't recommend any AMD anymore, not because they aren't good (they are excellent bang for buck), but simply because most musicians don't have the time, patience, or expertise to spend tweaking the machine so it runs well.
B3n

Post by B3n »

I have the MSI K7N420 in my lab right now. Been there for a few weeks actually. Installed in ACPI/WinXP mode, I can get 1 reverb with PCI overflow on the rest.

>Is this bad? What is PCI overflow?

I haven't felt like reinstalling XP & Pulsar on it just for testing (all my Intel systems give identical PCI performance under XP either ACPI/Standard BTW), so I can't say I'd suggest it.

>Out of lack of knowledge or is this just your view?

But one other person said they put 3 Luna2s in and were fine. Of the 3 or 4 reports on nForce there has only been one person who had it working. I might try reinstalling XP/Pulsar under Standard mode and retesting.

>ohohhhh, doesn't sound like the card for me..

I do know the AMD761 chipset can be made to work - quite a bit more tweaking than an Intel chipset - but still the only AMD chipset I would feel comfortable recommending. And I actually don't recommend any AMD anymore, not because they aren't good (they are excellent bang for buck), but simply because most musicians don't have the time, patience, or expertise to spend tweaking the machine so it runs well.

>I think the ECS K7S6A SiS 745 is the one for me...cheap too!

Cheers,

Ben
garyb

Post by garyb »

let us know..... :smile: