I Wish To Use My STS Sampler 4 Playback Of Akai CD's

Talk about the STS series of Creamware samplers.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

I Wish To Use My STS Sampler 4 Playback Of Akai CD's

Post by dawman »

I am having my Gigastudio 4 / VSTi DAW built in a few weeks.

I will have 2GB's or RAM in my Scope DAW for using with the STS series of samplers.

I am moving all applications over to a seperate DAW to take advantage of the 64bit apps and Larger memory addressing that GS4 will be providing, and have the ability to play really inricate and large Orchestral libraries, and top notch Horn Sections. My Akai CD's sound really good on certain instruments still. Afterall, I do not see the need to have a 16 layered Sitar, or Dudek. :roll:

I have always combined Scope w/ Giga so the RAM was always used. I seem to have the ability to use this RAM now and would like to play some of my Akai CD's through the STS into 3rd party mixers in Scope.

Which STS could I use for live work that doesn't crash or have any issues?

I only need to have playback abilities to start with.

I am excited to use the STS as I have read that it is on par with my hardware EMU's filters and sound quality.

Anyone use STS live w/o any issues?
Herr Voigt

Post by Herr Voigt »

I love the STS really, but ...

1. I don't play live with Scope

2. I wouldn't take it to live play, cos sometimes my DAW crashes down while working with the sts. :evil: Maybe sts and winxp don't match perfectly - on my old DAW with win98se I have never propplemmms with sts!

Try to import your AKAI CDs into Kontakt, that should work more stable.

Well - it's no great help, but these are my experiences. Greetz, Thomas
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Brotha' Man Voigt.

I will try it anyway as I will have all of this extra RAM on DAW #1.

I heard it is unstable to use, but thought was an editing issue. In other words, once it is set up, it works O.K.
Pete

Re: I Wish To Use My STS Sampler 4 Playback Of Akai CD's

Post by Pete »

My impression is that you can pinpoint what makes it crash and avoid it.

I haven't crashed the samplers much - seems to be only when I'm doing lots of loading/unloading, fiddling with sample rates, and using multiple instances. I think last crash was when I made a large multi-STS project, then changed sample rates before loading it, or moved a folder before loading it. Maybe I loaded some samples of both 16 and 24 bits together - something like that.

I like to use the STS-5000 with the window expanded to square, and I like the player. Wish they had changeable color palettes. Workflow can be really good - loads real fast once you have a project established, w/banks and presets set up.