Will this Compaq office-style PC be ok ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I can get an extremely good deal on a corporate-style PC: a Compaq EVO P4 1.7GHz i845. What do you think ? It seems pretty good but I'm a bit concerned about a few things on its "feature" list:

_ Integrated AC97 Audio with Internal Speaker
_ NVIDIA Vanta 16-MB 4X AGP
_ Integrated Intel PRO/100 VM Network Connection

Do you think this will be suitable for a DAW ?

thanks for any thoughts...
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

The first thing you will probably have to do is wipe the drive, most new 'corporate' machines come loaded with a bunch of 'extra software' that will only hinder DAW performance.

The i845 chipset is probably combined with SDRAM. This is going to strangle any future upgrade path as higher clocked P4 processors really eat memory bandwidth up.

I would suggest you stick with i845-DDR chipset, or i850 if going P4, Intel chipsets with higher memory bandwidth...
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Yes, it does take SDRAM, but they advertise that it'll accept up to 3 x 1Gb SDRAM (when released). I also have many stick of SDRAM already....

So is that a tentaive "yes" or a "probably best not to" ?

w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I've noticed you've gone off this idea anyway, but I thought I'd mention that Compaq gear tends to need proprietary memory, which can be a bit more difficult to get (and expensive).

On the other hand, we use Compaq at work and it seems to be pretty stable, but not sure about using it for music.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Yeah, I can get the deal through a company which is buying several hundred, but it seems that for about the same price I can get something that fits Pulsar a bit better.

I also just like "name" brands in electronics I suppose...