SpaceF - Valve Mixers -version 1.7

Planet Z Announcements

Moderators: valis, garyb

spacef

SpaceF - Valve Mixers -version 1.7

Post by spacef »

The SpaceF FB5 and V82 Valve mixers are publicly released.

Heavy duty mixers (up to 7 dsp full on), high sound quality, high flexibility, modulation, modulation to cc, Pre fader Solo (Bypass-Mute type). Presets for: all, master fx, aux fx, mute n mix, insert load state. fully compatible with all hardware controllers that can send Midi Control Changes (and program changes for live-preset lists like insert load state, mute n mix, aux fx). open insert dsp structure, on same dsp external and internal i/o, not a "per channel" structure.

Press F11 to put your browser full screen for the following hi res pictures.
--- FB5-high-res-pictures
--- V82-high-res-picture

Read the full story on http://www.spacef-devices.com

- Download the full FB5-V82 pdf manual
- Download the FB5 and V82 demos
- Go to the shop

Some extract from the manual are uploaded below. Read the manual for a full description of the many other functions (sorry in advance for mistakes. it will be corrected for other mixers manuals)

other components coming later.
Attachments
Mono Channel description (extract)
Mono Channel description (extract)
FB5mono.gif (95.78 KiB) Viewed 12426 times
Global parameters. Kill solo, Solo and Mix compare (when solo is on, to A/B soloed sounds alone/in the mix)
Global parameters. Kill solo, Solo and Mix compare (when solo is on, to A/B soloed sounds alone/in the mix)
FB5-Global.gif (51.21 KiB) Viewed 12447 times
Last edited by spacef on Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:06 am, edited 7 times in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

That's a great manual BTW thanks.

I hope you sell many of them.

A great mixer for Scope synths, external mixing via A16U, and especially live performance.

3rd partry mixers are the only way for me these days.

BTW, The free Tri-Octaver is killer, I should check the site more often. That's a great effect for a sampled 6 string Acoustic. 12 string samples never sound good to me, this makes my 6 sound the way I want. Especially well designed pre delay.

Congradulations Mehdi !!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

How will the MB4's be used with these?

Through the stereo inputs?

I am hoping to gang similar groups to a channel, which could have similar FX used, and muted or unmuted via MIDI CC's.

Since your pics are so good, how about a project pic example, and a hogh res. of the device also.

Thanks,
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

8)
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

8)
spacef

Post by spacef »

FP104/106, MB4... to be released soon .

Yes MB4 is usually to be plugged :
1. As final master/fx section, after one or several mixers, connections to mixers Main stereo Master and Direct outs (and busses).
2. Before other mixers to group asio/vst channels or else. the master of MB4 can be plugged inbto a mixer's stereo channel ( you can also use the 4 groups individual outs).

in both cases you can plug devices directly to it (stereo synths or sources to be effected together in a bus).

pictures: the girl's dressing for the party, it shall have to wait til she's ready... :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Great news.

I can't even use the STM series anymore after using 3rd party mixers. I can get them to sound close after adding other devices, but I prefer adding great effects to a superior sounding mixer, w/o having to bolster the quality first.

Must be the secret sauce.

I have been using the FB5 and Wolf's 16 Channel mixer in my latest project, and they do require more DSP, but my hardware routings sound so much warmer, and detailed. It balances out actually as I don't have to use boosting EQ's, PsyQ, SBC, and FAT-S's in the inserts, or the SL9000 in the master outs.

These sound so full and detailed live also, a big difference.

I Owe You Guys Big Time 4 My Big Time Sound.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

spacefans,
scope4live wrote:...the FB5 and Wolf's 16 Channel mixer..... in my latest project, and they do require more DSP, but my hardware routings sound so much warmer, and detailed.
Exactly, as I await the Baddy Of Ralf.

The multitude of options offered by the various 3rd party mixers are such huge timesavers as well and, therefore, huge money savers. 84 euros for the FAT mixers. :)

ns
dawman

Post by dawman »

I just scattered 4 hardware reverbs a while ago into the FB5. 3 AUX's and one as an insert.

2 used ( 100 USD each !! ) Alesis Quadraverb 2's, and the Lexicon PCM91, and PCM81.

I had a gig where ClaireShowco was the audio FOH company, and the engineer let me have 4 separate sends from a 480L after the gig one night to experiment with. He was an avid Lexicon fan. I was stoked at having such quality and different reverbs on a Rhodes, Grand Piano, mic'd Leslie B3, and D6 Clavinet. These little hardware reverbs into Scope sound just as good.

The FB5 sounds like a huge FOH console.

I would have preffered 4 x PCM's, but I rather like the 2000 USD in savings.

Having just one of the LFO's from the SpaceF 3LFO device to pan your reverb around with is fuckin' sweet as pie.

My Rhodes library sounds incredible. LFO pans are as realistic as the '73 Stage Suitcase model, but I like it better. The Square wave LFO is just so frickin' choppy and precise.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

Very cool, I am getting them soon :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

3rd party mixers are so good, that I am buying Klangboxes to make more room for FX, and mixers where Modular can be integrated.

I already have 3 AUX's w/ the Oberheim EDP, Lexicon PCM91, and the Lexicon PCM81. So I have quality reverbs and delays, which leave more DSP's to play with.

After 3 years of using SFP I realise that these mixers are more important to my live sound. I will still use Modular w/ Flexor, Wolf, and SpaceF creations, my hardware analog synth, and ProWave.

Klangbox Prodyssey, and the B2004 will allow me to use Wolf's and Medhi's mixers in one 32 MIDI channel project. The DAS FOH / Monitor mixer will be a live PA DAW.

I have racked up a Crest XRM mixer and compared the SFP 3rd party mixers to confirm my suspicions. The 3rd party mixers allow massive FX and MIDI CC control which the Crest XRM doesn't allow. Theri sound quality is equal, and the Crest mixers are thousands of dollars.

This all started becoming clear to me when I decided to buy Solaris in hardware. Suddenly I could use more ASIO channels, and quality mixers, and when I heard my sample libraries w/ DAS DynaPara, and other great FX from 3rd party guys, it was obvious where I was heading.

Take A Plunge Into SFP's Best Attribute........ROUTING !!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Here's an example I was using live which allows me to use 32 stereo channels of VSTi's into the 5 stereo channels of the FB5.

I find the generic VST FX of these plugs useless except for the GigaPulse Convolution Reverbs which mimmick the body of Acoustic Guitars, Violins, and various ethnic string and plucked body resonances as well.

In BUSS #1 ( FB5 stereo channel #1 ) I have my electric pianos where I can send a MIDI CC to activate the inserts bypass buttons for tremolo ( Wurlitzer ), and Auto Pan ( Rhodes ). The second AUX brings in the PCM91.

BUSS #2 Has the marvelous DAS DynaPara and the PCM91 only. This is where acoustic instruments go and the DyanPara enhances the Gigapulse convoltion reverbs beautifully, so the PCM91 can add the larger sounding halls, plates and rooms. My Acoustic Pianos sound amazing in this BUSS.

BUSS #3 Has the bb-Synth FX, no reverbs. 3LFO device use's the Sine wave LFO for wide sweeping of ARP String Ensemble,s and heavy phased instruments.

BUSS #4 Has the 2nd hardware reverb where I have the gated plate / room algo on AUX # 3 for horns and Clavinets, etc.

BUSS # 5 Has combinations of the 3 AUX's, all MIDI controlled as well.

As you can see, the mixer is my live mastering tool. I can change all FX parameters on the fly instantly via the 8 footpedals, Ribbon controller, Doepfer Fader Box, and Lexicon MRC.

The 3LFO devices allows serious control also. On the B2003 dual mono channels, I use the B section of the 3LFO to enhance the doppler effect of the leslie emulation, or my external rotary cabinet also.

This is a very serious mixer for live keyboard rigs. And naturally the inserts are all full of the FAT-S's, and FAT-M's to really thicken things up.

This Dog Can Hunt !!
spacef

Post by spacef »

Made a small change to the FB5: the modulation input leds now appear only on the Edit pages 2 and 3 (mod and mod to CC). Seing the modulation inputs can be annnoying/distracting with fast modulations, so now it is hidden on non-modulation related pages.
Available as a seperate download in FB5 area (so you can choose which you prefer, or even change between mixers if you suddenly become annoyed :-)
Last edited by spacef on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I like the pulsating LED's. But I am checking out the update you made for us.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

Hello Spacef, i need to activate my FATs (i will wait for Ralf for the keys) and i was wondering what would be your suggestion when it comes to your mixers ... as i only use Scope for studio.

For someone like me who already has your FATs (damn i hope they will sound as good as your blackbox stuff ! :D ), do you think, your mixers can add something else for my use in studio, comparing to the scope ones ? I tend to use the 48/96 mixer from scope but i am open to a new mixer from 3rd party ... I use scope for synth (they are connected to the mixer) and for mixing (each bus from seq is connected to one asio source in order to use the good 3rd party EQs, comp, filters ...).

thanks !
spacef

Post by spacef »

bill3107 wrote:Hello Spacef, i need to activate my FATs (i will wait for Ralf for the keys) and i was wondering what would be your suggestion when it comes to your mixers ... as i only use Scope for studio.

For someone like me who already has your FATs (damn i hope they will sound as good as your blackbox stuff ! :D ), do you think, your mixers can add something else for my use in studio, comparing to the scope ones ? I tend to use the 48/96 mixer from scope but i am open to a new mixer from 3rd party ... I use scope for synth (they are connected to the mixer) and for mixing (each bus from seq is connected to one asio source in order to use the good 3rd party EQs, comp, filters ...).

thanks !
May be try these mixers.
Same specs as FB5 without the fats (insert slot instead), 6 mono channels, 10+2 stereo (10 normal stereo + 2 tape with aux) , full midi control,.... and 3.3 dsp when all is activated...

Why did I do mixers ?

- FB5= the sound counts a lot. It improves the end result without too much efforts, without changing the techniques used by the user.

all mixers in general:
- need for different inserts implementation
- need for total midi CC recall (even on linked mono channel faders and every knob, fader, buttons....)
- need of a mixer that uses the full potential of Scope especially with other devices/patches, modulation and filtering, hardware remote control....
- need to be open to any hardware controller, and that can adapt the user's gear and needs in present and future.
- need of sending modulation to Aux or Busses (grouping track to filter/modulate them together--> more details later)
- need for using BlackBox filters in the mix, with or without modulation
- need for loading external modulators (not loaded when not used, allows a wider choice of modulator and use of Modular for complex/custom modulations, and making of modulators later on by me)
- need to use spacef devices modulations in a mixer (some spacef devs send their modulation to the outside world).
- need of working faster (minimizing the need to manually route/unroute cables in the project)
- need of lower dsp use when all the mixer is active (obviously not talking about the Fat Valve Mixers here ! which do not take more than a light mixer with fats built-in )
- need of mixers that are not dynamic (loaded once for all on the dsp and the internal connections do not move whatever you load in the project, and improve the way inserts are loaded on dsp. Optional modules such as MB4 (groups/aux...) loaded seperately but controlled from the mixer just as if it was on a different page of the same mixer, with the advantage of adding midi channels for each seperate device without having to use extra midi driver (midi seq sources). Also, has the advantage of making one hardware controller "face" (template/preset) work on all devs. No need to change preset/template of the hardware controller which can cause problems such as lost settings (as hardware controller/preset generally load with their default values rather than the last edited values) I have 1 preset of my BCR 2000, that I use on all my devices (seperately or a mix of several devices on the same template, when devs are on the same midi channel). Same with my small emu keyboard dials.
- dsp management by the user, manually, if needed (by "shutting down" parts of the circuit, rather switching "on" parts of the mixer after loading it).
- need of live features that i can even use in the studio (quicker results).
- and probably other things that don't come to my mind right now.

:-)
Last edited by spacef on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

It all sounds lovely. Cant wait to get my new mixer, I think it will be this week :]
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

thank you Medhi for your fast answer ! I really love the way you build your devices as their dsp usage can be customized :D ... As i am planning to get a good hardware controller, i am really intersted in a mixer handy and simple to control. Thank you for your reply !

Jo
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Have been trying the mixer out.

Firstly the sound is great.
I love the record channel feature.Very useful.

Couple of niggles.Sound cuts out if I activate channel or add insert.I think normal SFP mixer does that but not as dramatically.I get a few clicks in audio now.I think it's quite high in CPU usage.
Are these being addressed still Mehdi?
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

edit: playing with it now.......