Any harm in leaving Pulsar on all the time ?

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

Will it age or overheat Pulsar if I leave it permanantly on ? I have three PCs and they never get switched off and it doesn't seem to have stressed them.

But I'm concerned that maybe Pulsar will heat up, or age faster if I leave it on. Or is this just silly ? In fact does it make any difference at all to the card if I'm in project mode or not, or is it only when the DSPs are actually processing instructions that heat is generated ?

cheers
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

No. What causes decay in most electronic parts is actually metal contraction/expansion caused by temperature changes. Most of it happens when you turn something on or off so, you're actually better off leaving your system in one particular state (pick your favourite) for a long time.

You should take into account that most electronic components are rated for 10 years of normal use so, it might be a bit pointless. Do you think that, at the present rate of change in computer equipment, PCI cards will still be there then? :wink:

This is quite different with moving parts though (like hard drive bearings) so, be sure you set them to turn off after a period of inactivity.

RedSun .:.

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedSun on 2002-03-06 18:27 ]</font>