Sonar 6.2 can not open audio playback device

An area for people to discuss Scope related problems, issues, etc.

Moderators: valis, garyb

broken_halo

Sonar 6.2 can not open audio playback device

Post by broken_halo »

Ack more problems!!!! I just re installed a new mobo , ram and processor due to a major failure on my old power supply. So i had to re install my sonar 6 and all that fancy stuff , I pretty much got everything back to where it should be.

Im getting an issue I had before and I forget how to fix it. When I try to play back in my sonar or even record for that matter , it comes up with a "can not open audio playback device either the project format is incorrect or the audio drivers are in use by another program" im so close to remembering what I didlast time but am still not there. All my setting match with my sonar (sample rate 48.8 , bit depth 24 , audio driver wdm/ks ) and everything is getting a signal up untill sonar , it just doesnt seem to be getting a signal with my scope project. Im sure it is something quite simple and il kick my own ass when i figure it out , but I was just throwing it out there.

Other than that , Im loving my creamware products (scope project , A16 ultra Adat!!) been working with it for years now , its just all the other stuff that keeps changing.

Thanks for the help

Neil S
Plenty Of Rope

76’ Ringo Star Replica Luds, 22” kick
L.T.D Deluxe E.C 1000
Dean Exotica FM TBK
Peavey JSZ 2X12
Peavey Millenium 5 string bass
Scope Creamware Recording Rig 8 channels 24 channels 48.8khz , 8 channels of 96 khz (on part of a behringer ada 8000 , scope A16 ultra adats)
Sonar Producer Edition 6.2
Mindprint ENVOICE II channel strip
Behringger Comps
Soundcraft Spirit boards
Yamaha Keys
Audio Technica , Studio Projects , Samson , Shure , Behringer , EV mics
Akg and Event Monitoring system
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

anyone has a answer for this problem? i've had the same problems with wdm and mme drivers, i can only use asio with Sonar in a consistent way.
garyb

Post by garyb »

are you sure that the card's drivers are installed? i'm not talking about the asio or wav drivers, i'm talking about the driver files for the os. if you go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager, are there any exclamation points or question marks?

you wouldn't want to use anything but asio...
if you wish to change the type of driver, or open sonar at all, of course, the proper modules must be present in scope BEFORE opening Sonar. if there is a change, you must restart Sonar.

when Sonar is first installed and opened, it will be looking for wav drivers. before opening Sonar the first time, it might be a good idea to include wav driver modules(24bit wav source and destination)in the Scope project, along with your asio modules. then, you can go to the audio preferences in sonar and select asioScope, restart Sonar, and things should work properly.
Last edited by garyb on Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

In my case yes, but the drivers version is from 2002, are there more updated drivers around?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, i don't think so. you have the one from v4 or v4.5, no?

i filled out my earlier response, maybe that'll help...
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

garyb wrote:no, i don't think so. you have the one from v4 or v4.5, no?

i filled out my earlier response, maybe that'll help...

I have version 4.5. I went into the device manager and there is no question mark or exclamation mark by the scope card listing, only a symbol showing audio device is installed. In your post you stated "i would'nt want to use nothing but asio", i assume then wdm and mme will not work correctly when using Sonar with Scope then? I am able to use asio with little problems so i guess i'll continue that. One more question, when i bounce tracks that have xtc effects i often get clicks and pops any guess at possible causes? I adjusted latency but still no success. Thanks!
garyb

Post by garyb »

dsps are realtime. you can't do an offline bounce unless you choose "realtime bounce".

yes, mme or wdm should work, but asio is way better, always lower latency. cakewalk has a "relationship" with microsoft and they like to promote wdm drivers, but the fact is they had to incorporate asio drivers even though they were designed by the rival steinberg, because asio is superior, and customers demanded it. also, vst is a steinberg format and it only works with asio. when using xtc mode(Scope plugins as vst), asio MUST be used because vst and asio are a system.

it might be a good thing to learn about scope mode, as scope mode allows so many more possibilities, things like running audio from one app to another in real time(like when using one app as a multitrack deck and another as a mixdown deck(by using asio drivers for the multitrack app and wav drivers for the other), or sending audio out of an app like sonar through external processors(eqs, compressors, amps/speakers/mics, reverbs, whatever) and then recorded back into sonar in realtime, there are many possibilities that will improve your productions, skills and sounds. the nice thing is that these things work exactly the way they would in a real studio, not just in the way that's best for the computer....
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

As far as the bouncing with xtc effects it was done in realtime, but somehow i still get clicks and pops.

now that you've explained the relationship between vst, asio, and xtc then definitely asio is the choice.

As for using scope mode, i've been slowly learning and using it as well, i do like it better but at times choose to work with xtc. But scope mode is the prefered mode, has a bit of a learning curve but i've been slowly tackling it :)