Would it be possible to run a 1GHz Tualatin Celeron with onl

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

I am thinking of getting the Tusl2c, 1GHz Tualatin Celeron combo. I used to run a 533@400p3 boxed version without the fan with no stability problems - it was so quiet. My secondary 15" monitor was the noisiest part of my set-up. Even though I have a very low-noise NC cooler for my Duron800, I still think, it is a bit too noisy. I know defex has clocked a Tualatin (Pentium?) 30% with a Zalman in quiet mode, and my choise so far is the 3100+. B.t.w. defex, what mainboard do you use (as this seams to have quiet an impact on the Zalman's performance.

Immanuel

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Immanuel on 2002-02-26 08:20 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I think this would be possible, particularly if you undervolt your tualatin (LOWER the voltage from default slightly - most tualatins can run on a slightly lower than specified voltage - be sure to test for stability at that setting before doing important recordings!)
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

it is an abit ST6, I tried it with the creamware cards, but ABIT has a very stupid way of assigning IRQs. i would reccomend the TUSL=2

The only reason i got the ABIT was because you can increase the voltage to the CPU, which you can not do on the tusl2. now it is working with my SBlive and OASYS card now without a hitch. (i use it for games and all that other stuff)

the creamware cards are now happy with a p4b266 with northwood 1.6a (overclocked of course)
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Well, I just found out, that my old 533B had 29,7Watt for thermal power spec. And the Celeron has max heat production of 29Watt. If these specs are compareable (thermal power=max heat production), then I am in no doubt, that a Celeron 1GHz can run without the fan. Also I passed by a forum, where... well, just look at it, if your are interested in knowing, how cool a Northwood actualy is :wink: Can you run a Northwood without a fan?.

Immanuel
Rob van Berkel

Post by Rob van Berkel »

I have good experiences with the swiftech MCX coolers (you would need the MCX-C-370) combined with the Papst 8412 NGL fan (1500rpm, 12dBa). This combo keeps your cpu cool enough without rasing the noise floor significantly.
Recently swapped the PSU for a Q-Technology silent PSU that almost stops flowing air through the case, so things are running warm again.(see <a href="http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... um=19">max temp for Pulsar</a> post)
Rob

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rvberkel on 2002-02-28 01:24 ]</font>