Dual Xeon

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Post by valis »

Just wanted to drop a line and let people know what kind of experiences i've had with my new system:

2x1.8Ghz Xeon Prestonia
512MB Rdram
2xu160 scsi controllers
1 18Gb 10000rpm Cheetah (boot & apps)
1 36.7Gb 10000rpm IBM 36.7 Ultrastar (audio)
1 Maxtor IDE for etc
Old Geforce2 Ultra
Ancient Pulsar 1
Sblive (doesn't get used at the same time as the Pulsar)
tower case & 400W PS

In heavy use for the last two weeks I've seen two instances where I the Pulsar loses it's registration and needs to be restarted, and 6 or 7 pci overflows; however these seem to occur only when forget to set affinity in the task manager. Also, I'm running in ACPI mode because I'm running processors that are SMT enabled and I've been playing with that to see if there is any gain for audio.

To be honest, compared to earlier experiences on an ancient LX and a few less ancient BX machines, I'm really quite happy with this box. A few more upgrades are needed (full Gig of RAM, geforce4 for the heck of it, larger IDE storage, another UPS to save my currently overloaded one) but overall i've had very few problems with it. I built it by hand entirely from parts bought across the net and it booted first time and never burped once.

Now if only i can think of a solution for turning the 120mm fan back on in the back, all the other fans are getting variable hand adjusted replacements this week.

;]
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Possible solution for registration errors: set cset.ini readonly once you have the Pulsar environment setup the way you want.

Remember to un-readonly it when you need to make config changes or install new plugins.
valis

Post by valis »

yeah thanks subhuman. I actually forgot to do that and I know it's probably causing the problems. Just hasn't been enough of a pain to reinstall yet :grin: Loading Pulsar.exe off a 10000rpm Cheetah on it's own dedicated controller is SUCH an improvement.

I'll give that fix a shot tho, do I need to uninstall pulsar or just reinstall over the top?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Setting "cset.ini" readonly doesn't require any uninstall or reinstalling as far as I can tell... :razz:
valis

Post by valis »

Well once I start having errors I'd assume that cset.ini has already been changed? I've watched the changes that occur when running pulsar and usually it deletes one of the lines that lists my hardware key.
RedSkull

Post by RedSkull »

What M/B are you using?

I was looking at the new Tyans that come with the RIMM doubler... up to 4 gigs...

its good to hear its working out...