Why use Pulsar enviroment when there is XTC?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

djevo

Post by djevo »

Hello all,

Welcome to my first posting on this forum. Hope this question is a good one because i'm not really experienced with equipment like Pulsar.

I have a Pulsar II which I would like to use together with Cubase 5.0. So far so good.

I recently installed Pulsar 3 and also the XTC mode. Now it's possible to use the devices directly in Cubase what means that I don't have to use the difficult pulsar enviroment anymore. Is it as simple as this or are there really some significant benefits when using the pulsar enviroment?

I hope someone can explain this to me in not to difficult terms...:smile:

Thanx!

E-VO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: djevo on 2002-02-21 06:57 ]</font>
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

you can easilly visually route anything to anything else.

you can use 2.x devices.

you can use it with non VST programs.

you can process audio from external sources in real time with no reliance on windows drivers/pci bus etc.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I would turn your question around: "Why would anyone use XTC when they have the Pulsar project environment". Really it's not that hard and you get incredible flexability. You an pull in all sorts of external gear, effects, sound sources and route them to wherever you want - maybe bypassing some things, maybe some parts going through mixers and effects. It's one of the great strengths of Pulsar.

Very few Pulsarians live in XTC mode. And why would they ? The only advantage is that it appears easier (for a while) and familar to VST veterans.

Go for the project environment, it's much more powerful. If you get stuck, give a shout !
kiminet

Post by kiminet »

For all the mentioned reasons and for me because XTC does result in clicks and pops
for reasons that I don´t know.

Kim
djevo

Post by djevo »

Thanx for all you responses! I must say I'm pretty convinced allready.

Let me add just one question. In Pulsar there is the BigMixer (some of you say the PulsarMixer is better?) and in Cubase there is the channelmixer. Doesn't this two mixers serve the same purpose? I mean, are they doing the same thing?

To Defex: you can use 2.x devices. What do you mean by that?

Well, thanx again for your responses. It's nice to receive responses like that on my first posting!

E-VO

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: djevo on 2002-02-21 11:46 ]</font>
at0m

Post by at0m »

The PulsarMixer (as all V3 mixers now I think) has REAL Stereo Channels, as the bigMixer has stereo linked channels.

BigMixer is the only mixer though that allows you to use stereo aux sends.

'v2 devices' are devices which are made for Pulsar OS2.04. They are still compatible with V3 though. You can recognise them easily by their 'old' preset list.
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
at0m

Post by at0m »

And yes, both VST mixer and DSP mixers do about the same. Only, the DSP mixer gives access to DSP fx and routings, which obviously may be different from VST plugins.
JoeKa

Post by JoeKa »

The VST and the Pulsarmixer serve the same purpose, of course. But features are different, as there is a compressor for every channel of the pulsarmixer, whereas the VSTmixer needs an extra plugin to load.
You can use the pulsarmixer much more flexible than the VST mixer, as the whole project-thingie is...
And imho the soundquality of the Pulsarmixer is superior to the VST mixer´s and it has a nicer interface.
horrn

Post by horrn »

hi,
there are several differences in the modes. in xtc-mode you will use the whole latency of the card while you are playing the synths. an example:for me with my two pulsar I-cards it´s not possible to use the xtc-mode really because i will feel that latency too much while i´m playing. when i´m directly sending the midi-signal to cubase and thru to the synths i´m playing like an outstanding synth.

the second thing: you have much possibilities and devices you don´t need to use but you can learn to add time by time. per example: if you have handled the equalization of the 4-peq one you know it´s the nicest thing to play with. "left-double-click" makes a new knob in the frequency-window; move with left mouse up and down and left and rigth... and then the right mouse click is variating the q-factor of the filter... try it, you will love it. this eq sounds great and is great to handle... i don´t know vst-plugins which are that easy to handle...

all that devices gives you more possibilities to control sounds by time ... and some of them sounds very great!

it´s like emagic logic: the first steps are very hard, but then you learn a new liberty.

good luck

t.
Spirit

Post by Spirit »

The BigMixer is also known as the "BugMixer". If you've got the PulsarMixer then use that instead, it's much better.
caleb

Post by caleb »

I'm really a newbie with Pulsar II having owned if for only 2 weeks and I haven't even contemplated using the XTC mode. I'm so impressed by the flexibility of this beast I haven't the slightest interest in trying to dumb down it's complexities into the limitations of a VST host.

I must admit when I tried Logic for a while I found it totally unusable and I looked for a more user-friendly sequencer, but I certainly wouldn't make a similar statement about the Pulsar environment. It seems for the most part very intuitive to me. I still haven't read too much of the help files but it hasn't prevented me from getting quite creative with the routing etc.

In fact, the sheer flexibility of this thing knocks me on my arse it's so amazing. I can't even talk about it without the excitement rising. People are beginning to look at me strangely. The Pulsar II is beginning to take the place of my closest friends.

It isn't a soundcard, its a whole universe that suddenly seems much more interesting than this one.

Imagine what I could do with an SRB card!!!!
What do I have to sell to get one?!?!
(What's the going price on grandmas these days?)
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.