question: pentium III tualatin & thermal paste

PC Configurations, motherboards, etc, etc

Moderators: valis, garyb

alfonso

Post by alfonso »

hello,
i bought the so much desired pentium III-s 1.26 that as someone of you surely knows is protected by a metal cover.
in the box there is no thermal paste and nothing is said about it in it's manual.
the guy at the shop told me that if the paste is missing it means that it's not necessary.
any opinion or experience?

thanks for any answer, alfonso.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I assume you got a "Retail Boxed" version with fan? Usually the retail fans come with a thermal pad. Not ideal, but it does work fine. You definitely want thermal pad, or thermal paste (I use exclusively Artic Silver or Artic Alumina), but the Tualatins are running cooler. Still, I personally would never go without at minimum, a thermal pad on the heatsync...
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

aarrgghh stop saying heatsync! :smile:

heatsink
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

hi sub,
yes it's a retail box. but no pad either.
i was thinking to put some paste anyway, but i needed to know well before i mount anything.
(it could be that paste was to avoid on that covered end, i couldn't swear on anything, i'm just a musician).
so i'll go with some paste,
thank you.
ciao, alfonso :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alfonso on 2002-02-20 13:58 ]</font>
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Same reason I say algorhythm instead of algorithm. Heatsync looks "cooler" :lol: But okay just for you...