A16 Ultra - microphones and guitars

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

mano

Post by mano »

I am getting an A16 Ultra tomorrow (subhuman warm it up for me please :wink: ) and I was wondering...

Will I have to get a mic preamplifier rack if later on I want to record acoustic instruments with a microphone? Or is there some kind of DSP plug-in that would simulate it?

I think I saw some threads about DSP guitar amp plug-ins... If I use one of those would I be able to directly plug an electric guitar to my A16 Ultra inputs?

Let me know what you think
thanks

-mano
eliam

Post by eliam »

I know of people like MarcusPocus who plug their guitar directly with good results...

Plugging a mic in your card is not the best of options. Some plug-ins add strenght to the signal after input, but this can increase the hiss. I think that a preamp is a must to bring the mic signal to the impedence of a line input, and there's a thread on this subject not very far... Check it out!
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Take a look at this thread: <a href="http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... um=5&10</a>

RedSun .:.
astroman

Post by astroman »

though this doesn't hit exactly on the topic: if you're not one of those guitar wizzards the Quantum Leap Total Guitars and Bass sampling CD might be useful. A very broad range of instruments and amps with outstanding multisampling of the behaviour of a guitar in different playing situations. For example flageolets in the upper oktave of the keyboard, bends an trills, sustain, feedback on decay, imho hard to tell from the real stuff. A bit expensive ($180?) but I guess the recording equipment and instruments were between 50-100k.
mano

Post by mano »

thanks for all the info. The guitar part makes sense (plugging it directly, using DSP plugins to simulate an amp etc.).

So I guess I will have to buy a good preamplifier to record with a microphone (violin, vocals, etc.).

I saw the thread you mentionned, will study the different preamp models there :smile: Feel free to advise some models too.

I dont need to get it right away, just planning :smile: