recording question

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

Hey guys i recently had my first instrument recording session i usually just use a beat machine and use a sampler or different soft synths but i had a gent come in with an electric guitar and it sounded pretty good .

however there was soooo much noise coming from his effects boxes that i couldn't the tracks we did with those boxes. without the boxes we got a descent sound.

i attempted to go direct into my compressor/preamp but the signal was too low.

so finally are there any tips on how to record with the effects but negate the sound or any other general guitar recording tips you all can offer me, thanks Guys
kiminet

Post by kiminet »

I thinks you should search for the "busbooster" in this forum under "devices"

Kim

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kiminet on 2002-02-11 14:19 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

celmo has a nice guitar amp simulator.if you are going into the analog input,there is a bad level/impeadance mismatch.a direct box into a mic pre would be better.
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

Thanks for the suggestions!!
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Yes! When you want to record audio directly from an electric guitar(or anything that doesn't generate a line level signal), you have to take into account it's electrical properties. This is not something you can compensate for with at the software level. It's a physical limitation of electrical circuits. In this case, you would need, at the very least, a good DI box. The main function if this device is to match the electrical impedance. Some of these include a pre-amp. If you don't, you could loose a bit of the frequency range, dynamics and maybe generate some phase distortion(this all depends on the actual guitar of other device you're using). Off course, if you put a lot of distortion on that guitar, it could be just what you're looking for...

Note that a pre-amp by itself will only boost the signal level, not compensate for the different electrical properties.

RedSun .:.

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedSun on 2002-02-12 16:30 ]</font>
samuel40

Post by samuel40 »

great info RedSun i appreciate it. what would one use in conjuction with a pre amp to "compensate for the different electrical properties."
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Redsun, Are you saying that plugging my guitar in my Pod(guitar pre-amp) directly into my soundcard is the wrong thing to do?
Please tell me if I'm missing something. :wink:
Are we listening?..
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, the pod expects mic level,high impeadance which is what comes off of your guitar.it outputs line level which is fine for your soundcard.
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Whew! Thanks Gary
Are we listening?..
garyb

Post by garyb »

:smile:
RedSun

Post by RedSun »

Yes, unless if you have one of those rare low impedance guitars. I'm not absolutely certain but, if I remember correctly, some of the old LesPaul were low impedance...

Anyway, if your equipment doesn't have a high impedance input, what you need is a DI Box. All music stores have a selection of those. Some are passive, some require phantom power, some have a pre-amp build in... Select one that match your needs and budget.

:smile:

RedSun .:.