XP Generic USB Drivers

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

Le Bone

XP Generic USB Drivers

Post by Le Bone »

I find Windows XP Generic USB Drivers Very annoying!

Dependent on which order I switch all my USB devices on I get the "USB Audio devices" renumbered each time i switch on. This is a pain as I find different projects mapped differently to my setup as I incorporate more and more USB devices.

I have:

Creamware ASB PRO-12 (can be "USB Audio Device" 3 or 4!)
Ceamware Klangbox Prodyssey (can be "USB Audio Device" 3 or 4!)
M-Audio - keystation PRO 88 (can be "USB Audio Device" 1 or 2!)
Korg Legacy controller(can be "USB Audio Device" 1 or 2!)

Each of these can be a different USB Audio device each time I switch on. Does anyone have a clue how I can rename these or ensure the "Audio Device 1-4" do not get renumbered each time. I have tried changing the settings in the Registry, but they get reset at boot. It is a shame that each one does not have a unique name on installation.

Other people must be having the same problems and must be getting around it all. I really do not want to resort to MIDI and further Midi Merge boxes.

If I could just get the Creamware drivers (I am not picking on Creamware as they are doing the same as everyone elses USB drivers) to pernamantly rename as "Klangbox Prodyssey" and "ASB PRO-12", I would be a happy bunny.

Can anyone help me please to what must be a "Generic" Problem? :D
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

i know that when using usb devices with unsigned drivers there is the issue described by You.
To avoid problems, you should always connect each device on the same usb port and it could be helpful to have all the usb devices switched on before starting the computer.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

Thanks,

I never unplug them so they are always connected to the same ports. I switch on the ASb and Klangbox when required as I use the PC for other things too.

Shame I cannot get signed drivers. Would this be hard for someone to do? I am not aware of the implications.
LHong

Re: XP Generic USB Drivers

Post by LHong »

Le Bone wrote:I find Windows XP Generic USB Drivers Very annoying!

Dependent on which order I switch all my USB devices on I get the "USB Audio devices" renumbered each time i switch on. This is a pain as I find different projects mapped differently to my setup as I incorporate more and more USB devices.

I have:

Creamware ASB PRO-12 (can be "USB Audio Device" 3 or 4!)
Ceamware Klangbox Prodyssey (can be "USB Audio Device" 3 or 4!)
M-Audio - keystation PRO 88 (can be "USB Audio Device" 1 or 2!)
Korg Legacy controller(can be "USB Audio Device" 1 or 2!)

Each of these can be a different USB Audio device each time I switch on. Does anyone have a clue how I can rename these or ensure the "Audio Device 1-4" do not get renumbered each time. I have tried changing the settings in the Registry, but they get reset at boot. It is a shame that each one does not have a unique name on installation.

Other people must be having the same problems and must be getting around it all. I really do not want to resort to MIDI and further Midi Merge boxes.

If I could just get the Creamware drivers (I am not picking on Creamware as they are doing the same as everyone elses USB drivers) to pernamantly rename as "Klangbox Prodyssey" and "ASB PRO-12", I would be a happy bunny.

Can anyone help me please to what must be a "Generic" Problem? :D
Hi,
I do not own ASb nor Klangbox, so I do not tell much.
However, I see the problem as you had like the USB must remunerates when you switch it by an external USB Switch box? Is that what you have? Unless you have the USB 4-port HUB, which will be dedicated USB ports for the ASB, Klangbox and others. Can you try the HUB?

Other solution is you will need to update its USB drivers from the "Device Manager" manually whenevr you want to switch it (on fly) from ASB to Klangbox, for example. The reason is because the Windows thinks that you have multiple ASB and/or Klangbox that you want to use in the system.

If you want to rename it to any name as you want can be done in the inf file (.inf from the original driver folder), then re-update driver from Device Manager (not in Registry).

Good luck,

LongStudios
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

I am using appropriate USB hubs, I will try and dedicate usb ports direct on the PC to one asb or klangbox, however with my steinberg and Korg legacy dongles I have had to resort to USB hubs.

The problem with the devices is that there seems to be no .inf file as it is using a generic driver, thus creating my problem. If someone can let me know how I can create a .inf that points to a generic driver but then lets me name the asb and klangboxes, it would make life alot easier.

Many thanks

The Bone