Controller keyboard for Minimax ASB

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

ramechling

Controller keyboard for Minimax ASB

Post by ramechling »

HELLO GANG:
Was thinking about playing virtual pipe organ software such as the Hauptwerk.
But, i do not yet own a computer and noticed a sound module with several pip organ sounds.
A salesman at Sweetwater suggested the CME UF8 or UF7 as a fantastic midi-controller keyboard and now I've just learned of the Minimax ASB and have drooled over the great reviews and distant memories of owning a Mini-Moog for a few years.
Are any of you familiar with the CME controllers, and if not, can you recommend a controller keyboard that I can use without computer ?
Thanks a million !
fx1mark

Post by fx1mark »

Craig Anderton did a review of the cme 88.

http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?se ... ycode=7780

he liked it. any controller with midi out will work without a computer. you
should consider price and what you need. read reviews.
the minimax is a great synth but it's not what you need if you are looking
for a pipe organ. or an emulation of real instruments. it is an analog synth
emulation. have you considered a keyboard with the sound engine
built in?
gregae

Post by gregae »

I use a CME UF5 with my Minimax. I chose the UF5 after checking out a few other MIDI controller keyboards. I liked the feel of the keys, the slightly grippy surface of the pitch and mod wheels, and the metal chassis construction. The UF5 keyboard spans 4-octaves, a perfect choice for leads (the original Minimoog was just 44 keys), yet sufficient for two-handed playing. And the metallic red end plates look cool!

I do wish for a few more programmable controls, however. The eight knobs and eight faders on the UF5 aren't quite enough to control all of the Minimax effects parameters (chorus/flanger, delays and levels) - these are the hidden parameters that I adjust most often when I'm working wih the Minimax.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the UF5.
ramechling

Post by ramechling »

Thanks both of you for your speedy reply. Most likely there is no perfect controller keyboard since we all have different needs.
I very much enjoy Mr. Anderton's ability to simplify what is to me some very complex issues. I have two of his books, one about Midi for Musicians and one about Multieffects.... both have taught me a lot.
I still remember what the MiniMoog could do and thought the Minimax would compliment a fretless bass, a harmonium, and later perhaps some pipe organ sampled sounds.... not to emulate the sounds of any 'real' instruments.
A wonderful and most helpful website is Wendy Carlos' site. She has remastered from the original tapes a CD set of her early work !
Thanks again... all of you !
Richard M.
gregae

Post by gregae »

Creamware's Minimax does what it does very well (I certainly have no complaints), but for a real Moog experience (and comparible money) you might also consider the stage edition of the Moog Little Phatty. It should be available sometime in the first quarter of 2007. It's the closest thing you'll find to a Minimoog in the $1K range (US). You can check it out for yourself at moogmusic.com.
Le Bone

Post by Le Bone »

I use a Keystation Pro-88 which is ok actionwise (but not brilliant). Beauty of it is that I can map the 59 midi sliders/buttons/knobs to a Klangbox/ASB and tweak sounds as I play from the one controller device.
:)

It works for me, just a pain trying to remember which slider is for what for each synth! So I am going to create a series paper templates with the appropriate controllers marked on it for each synth.